• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brothers & Sisters
     Oh no,not another "Election" Topic?!!!As you well know there seems to be much controversy stirred up by this subject matter.I'd like to try a little different approach and begin by saying this is A Study,it is not MY Study .This is a study about the Biblical meaning of ELECTION or being CHOSEN.Let me remind anyone who wishes to participate that any shenanigans will not be tolerated,I have no problem with banning a snarky poster or anyone sowing discord  from posting here,this is not a debate about anyones personal points of view,it is not anti-Calvinism or anti Arminiumism.So,let us begin by asking our Lord to Reveal His Truth,keep our Hearts & Minds open to His Wisdom,Understanding and PEACE....in the Precious Name of Jesus!Lets examine what the Word of God teaches us regarding ELECTION  to find out how it is used and for what purpose and intention.
    To start we must realize there are some commonly held beliefs regarding Election,many believe that God Elects individuals for Eternal Life &/or Eternal death/condemnation.Again,this is a study and not a podium to support ideas or try to confirm them by quoting misapplied verses of Scripture that are taken out of context.We are going to look ,throughout Scripture,in context for the Biblical meaning Biblical Election to learn that God Chooses different persons,peoples,places & even things to Serve HIM,this includes the Service,Tasks ,Assignments and Mission for our Purpose & Privilege here & now!Biblical Election is Vocational
     "In the Beginning",lol or rather in the OT its clearly about  the Life of Servitude on this earth,for example just like the wives that are CHOSEN by their husbands
Gen 6:2 That the asons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they btook them cwives of all which they chose
God Chooses places for His Own to live in and serve Him
Genesis 13:11, KJV: Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.

Duet 23:16 Let them live among you in any town they choose, and do not oppress them.

If thy people go out to battle against their enemy, whithersoever thou shalt send them, and shall pray unto the LORD toward the city which thou hast chosen, and toward the house that I have built for thy name:    1 Kgs 8:44

For now have I chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there for ever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.    1 Chron 7:16

and chooses things best suited for the tasks

1 Kings 18:23 Get two bulls for us. Let Baal’s prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. 24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”

Then all the people said, “What you say is good.”

In the Book of Judges we find the SELECT MEN who are best suited for Gods Mission and also
1 Sam 24:2 So Saul chose 3,000 elite troops from all Israel and went to search for David and his men near the rocks of the wild goats.
These men were qualitively elected ......for the task

God Continually Elects not only individuals for service but also corporately .The Jews are referred to as Gods  CHOSEN people.,through the vocational Election of Abraham(Chosen to become the Father of the Jews) corporately they became Priests and a Holy Nation.

Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

Gen 12:1-3 

Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Not as individuals but as a Nation

Ex !9:6And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath achosen for his own inheritance.
 Then of course we do have the Elect  individuals   such as Abraham,afore mentioned whos vocation was already described,we have Aaron ,High Priest vocation and David whos Vocational Election is very well known!
  1 Kings 8:16Since the day that I brought forth my people Israel out of Egypt, I chose no city out of all the tribes of Israel to build an house, that my name might be therein; but I chose David to be over my people Israel.
These individuals were all Chosen ones,privileged to serve Almighty God
  • This is Worthy 1

ontinued-

In Isaiah 49 we see the ONE CHOSEN to be the Suffering Servant,the Messiah!
Thus says the LORD, The Redeemer of Israel, their Holy One, To Him whom man despises, To Him whom the nation abhors, To the Servant of rulers: “Kings shall see and arise, Princes also shall worship, Because of the LORD who is faithful, The Holy One of Israel; And He has chosen You.”
Jesus Mission was/Is to bring Eternal Salvation through Himself-Again,Jesus IS the Individual for a Corporate Purposes as well for His Body(the Body of Christ)   

In Ephesians 1 & 2 the Apostle Paul tells the Believers about all Gods Blessings there are to those United by their Faith in Christ Jesus! In Christ's ELECTION  we too are the ELECT,not as individuals but as His BODY-just like the Jews were to Abrahams Election-Christ is the ELECTED,we are Elect corporately
  This Election is Vocational
“Eph 2:10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
 Then Jesus Chooses the 12 Apostles
 Luke 6:1 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;
 Were they Chosen for Eternal Life? No,for service as we see proof of that by Judas
: Jesus said to him, “The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean. And you are clean, but not every one of you.”John 13:10

The Apostles Vocational ELECTION was preaching the Gospel!
  Mark 3:14
He appointed twelve of them, whom He designated as apostles, to accompany Him, to be sent out to preach,
They were all CHOSEN to SERVE

I will stop here for now.......With Love in Christ,Kwik

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,419
  • Content Per Day:  8.21
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for providing a biblical study of a most controversial subject!  The OP is very thorough.  Probably not much to add.

From my long experience with on-line forums, it seems that most evangelicals view "election" as God selecting certain people for salvation.  Part of this selection process also involves God having to regenerate that person so that they can believe.  However, that is another issue, and won't be covered here.  Trying to stay with the subject. ;)

The pertinent Greek words used in the NT regarding election are:  ekloge the noun, eklegomai the verb, and eklektos the adjective.  Examining every use of all of these words in the NT will show that none are speaking about salvation.  In fact, most verses say nothing about the purpose of election.  

The examination reveals that there are a number of categories or examples of who was elected, and for what purpose they were elected.

Examples of Divine Election

1.  Election of Christ:  an individual election

1 Pet 2:6 Isa 28:16 Isa 42:1  Luke 9:35 Luke 23:35

2.  Election of Angels:  a group or corporate election

1 Tim 5:21, Heb 1:14

3.  Election of Israel:  a group or corporate election

Amos 3:2 Deut 7:6 Acts 13:17

4.  Election of believers:  a group or corporate election

Eph 1:4a [note:  this verse doesn’t say that God chose who would be believers, but that He chose believers…to be holy and blameless] 1 Peter 2:9

5.  The Election of the 11 Disciples:  a group or corporate election  John 15:16

The election of the 12 includes Judas:  John 6;70,71

6. The Election of Paul:  an individual election     Acts 9:15

It should be obvious that neither Jesus Christ, angels or the nation of Israel involve salvation.  Nor the election of believers, who are already saved.  And John 6:70 notes that Judas was chosen, to be the betrayer.  This in no way suggests that he wouldn't have betrayed the Lord otherwise.  Rather, he was chosen for the very fact that he would do it if given the opportunity.  We know from Acts 17:26 that God has placed everyone WHEN and WHERE they were born.  So Judas was placed when and where he was to provide him the opportunity to betray the Lord.

All of this to say that election, per all the examples, are for service.  Some verses that clearly state this purpose:

Regarding Paul:

Acts 9:15 - But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.

Acts 20:24 - However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.

Acts 22:10 - "'What shall I do, Lord?' I asked.  "'Get up,' the Lord said, 'and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do.’

Acts 22:14, 15 - 14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard.

Acts 26:16 - ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me.

Acts 27:23 - Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me

Rom 1:9 - God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last nay God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

Rom 15:17 - Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God.

Rom 15:25 - Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the Lord’s people there.

1 Cor 3:5 - What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.

1 Cor 4:1 - This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed.

2 Cor 4:5 - For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.

2 Cor 11:8 - I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

Gal 1:10 - A I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?  Or am I trying to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Gal 1:16 - to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man

Eph 3:7,8,9    7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of His power 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Col 1:25 - I have become its (the Church) servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness—  direct reference to Acts 9:15.  Also v.23

1 Tim 1:12 - I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service.

1 Tim 2:7 - And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

2 Tim 1:9 - He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

2 Tim 1:11 - And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.

Regarding believers

Eph 1:4 is about believers being chosen by God since the "us" in that verse is defined by Paul in 1:19 as "us who believe".  There is nothing in the text that allows us to assume there is a change in who Paul means by "us".  It's all about believers.

1 Cor 1:26,27

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 
27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
Regarding angels

1 Tim 5:21 - I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.

Heb 1:7 - In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire.”

Heb 1:14 - Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Rev 19:10 - At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus.”

Rev 22:8,9  8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”

Regarding the nation Israel

Isa 41:9 - I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

Isa 43:10 - “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

Isa 43;20,21  20 The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, 21 the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.

Isa 44:2 - This is what the LORD says— he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.

Isa 45:4 - For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me.

Isa 49:3 - He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”

One final point:  2 Thess 2:13 - But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

This verse is often used to support election being to salvation.  However, the Greek word "chose" here is not the Greek word used elsewhere translated elect/election.  This word is haireomai rather than eklegomai.

Also, the point is the verse is saying that God has chosen the means of salvation, noted in the word "through the ... work of the Spirit and (even) faith in the truth."  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,854
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Would love to discuss what this scripture is saying.?

Rather than jumping in with my own understanding of this scripture , I wait for other members to join in first, Without any animosity....🙏💗

1 Peter 1

New International Version

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Praise to God for a Living Hope

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hopethrough the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Be Holy

13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”[a]

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.[b] 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,

“All people are like grass,
    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25     but the word of the Lord endures forever.”[c]

And this is the word that was preached to you.

This is that I also wanted to know...

Peter comes from the Sinau Covenant. Born and raised under the Law of Moses. 

He was in the people of God in the old testament..and so were most of the believers in the Gospel at that time...

They were part of the transition from the old Covenant to the New Covenant...

The disciples at that time they had to distinguish to whom they wrote their letters...

They did not say to the Christians or to the church of this city or that district...

They used to address the believers as THE ELECT people who believe in Jesus Christ out of the Law of Moses....

This is to let them know that God's people are only those in Jesus Christ...and not the other Jews or Galileans who believe in God as in the Law of Moses...

Peter and the Jews and the other Israelites who have come out from the Law in the time before the new Covenant they were Sanctified and Justified according to the Law of Moses....

This is why Peter as Paul they remind them that the old way of Sanctification has pass away...it's not counting for them and is not counting for those who continue to practice the Law...

Reminder that those elect (the believers in Jesus Christ..Jews had families who continue to follow the Sanctification through the Law...

And Peter reminds them and as a teaching...no to partake in the rituals of the Law...because it is about Jesus Christ and reminds them how were and still are Sanctified in Jesus Christ...

He is telling them that from the beginning God was looking forwards to have children Sanctified in Jesus Christ....and he only have in the New Covenant children Sanctified in Jesus Christ..

He reminds them to reach out to the Jews because it was sad they believe in God and they were upright people...following the Law but were excluded...

Just when Ismael and the other children of Abraham they believe in God because this is what they learn from their Father Abraham and they new all the miraculous things God did to Abraham...but they were excluded from the blessing of Abraham who were on Issac only...that God was only for Abraham to Issac to Jacob..

• Followers:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,854
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

@Rosie1jack2pauline3 

Peter was teaching the Jews from what they could relate from the Law of Moses...from the rituals of purification from the Law...

Jesus told them...YOU ARE CLEAN BECAUSE OF THE WORD THAT I HAVE SPOKEN TO YOU...OF COURSE THEY BELIEVE WHO HE WAS...AND THAT HE IS FROM THE FATHER...

but in the day of Penticost he had to deal with people who were shouting "crucified him" a few days earlier or they had sided with those people and spoken bad about Jesus...and now from the word of Peter they believe and having grow in the Law...they were deeply troubled how Jesus will deal with them and that sin to speak bad against...and as some of them were baptized by John the Baptist or they knew about the water Baptism for the forgiveness of sins from John...Peter said 6them something that they would accept that must have been from the Holy Spirit suited just from them..

And from the water purification rituals from the Law...this way they found release from their guilt...

For Jesus Christ they did not have to do that because he did not hold it against them...

They did not even have to ask forgiveness...because Jesus prayed for them...that what they do not to be held against them.....

The same way for the Jewish purification from the Law...the washings with water...from their Jewish customs...

Paul later tried to teach them that they do not need that as they do not need the Circumcision.. 

The disciples at first they preached the Gospel to Circumcised jews and Procilites only...later they understand better but not all of them...they were divided in that matter...

17 hours ago, FreeGrace said:

Thanks for providing a biblical study of a most controversial subject!  The OP is very thorough.  Probably not much to add.

From my long experience with on-line forums, it seems that most evangelicals view "election" as God selecting certain people for salvation.  Part of this selection process also involves God having to regenerate that person so that they can believe.  However, that is another issue, and won't be covered here.  Trying to stay with the subject. ;)

The pertinent Greek words used in the NT regarding election are:  ekloge the noun, eklegomai the verb, and eklektos the adjective.  Examining every use of all of these words in the NT will show that none are speaking about salvation.  In fact, most verses say nothing about the purpose of election.  

The examination reveals that there are a number of categories or examples of who was elected, and for what purpose they were elected.

Examples of Divine Election

1.  Election of Christ:  an individual election

1 Pet 2:6 Isa 28:16 Isa 42:1  Luke 9:35 Luke 23:35

2.  Election of Angels:  a group or corporate election

1 Tim 5:21, Heb 1:14

3.  Election of Israel:  a group or corporate election

Amos 3:2 Deut 7:6 Acts 13:17

4.  Election of believers:  a group or corporate election

Eph 1:4a [note:  this verse doesn’t say that God chose who would be believers, but that He chose believers…to be holy and blameless] 1 Peter 2:9

5.  The Election of the 11 Disciples:  a group or corporate election  John 15:16

The election of the 12 includes Judas:  John 6;70,71

6. The Election of Paul:  an individual election     Acts 9:15

It should be obvious that neither Jesus Christ, angels or the nation of Israel involve salvation.  Nor the election of believers, who are already saved.  And John 6:70 notes that Judas was chosen, to be the betrayer.  This in no way suggests that he wouldn't have betrayed the Lord otherwise.  Rather, he was chosen for the very fact that he would do it if given the opportunity.  We know from Acts 17:26 that God has placed everyone WHEN and WHERE they were born.  So Judas was placed when and where he was to provide him the opportunity to betray the Lord.

All of this to say that election, per all the examples, are for service.  Some verses that clearly state this purpose:

Regarding Paul:

Acts 9:15 - But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.

Acts 20:24 - However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.

Acts 22:10 - "'What shall I do, Lord?' I asked.  "'Get up,' the Lord said, 'and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do.’

Acts 22:14, 15 - 14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard.

Acts 26:16 - ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me.

Acts 27:23 - Last night an angel of the God whose I am and whom I serve stood beside me

Rom 1:9 - God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last nay God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

Rom 15:17 - Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God.

Rom 15:25 - Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the Lord’s people there.

1 Cor 3:5 - What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.

1 Cor 4:1 - This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed.

2 Cor 4:5 - For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.

2 Cor 11:8 - I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

Gal 1:10 - A I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?  Or am I trying to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Gal 1:16 - to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man

Eph 3:7,8,9    7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of His power 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Col 1:25 - I have become its (the Church) servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness—  direct reference to Acts 9:15.  Also v.23

1 Tim 1:12 - I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service.

1 Tim 2:7 - And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

2 Tim 1:9 - He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

2 Tim 1:11 - And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.

Regarding believers

Eph 1:4 is about believers being chosen by God since the "us" in that verse is defined by Paul in 1:19 as "us who believe".  There is nothing in the text that allows us to assume there is a change in who Paul means by "us".  It's all about believers.

1 Cor 1:26,27

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 
27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
Regarding angels

1 Tim 5:21 - I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.

Heb 1:7 - In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire.”

Heb 1:14 - Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Rev 19:10 - At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus.”

Rev 22:8,9  8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”

Regarding the nation Israel

Isa 41:9 - I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

Isa 43:10 - “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

Isa 43;20,21  20 The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, 21 the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.

Isa 44:2 - This is what the LORD says— he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.

Isa 45:4 - For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me.

Isa 49:3 - He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”

One final point:  2 Thess 2:13 - But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

This verse is often used to support election being to salvation.  However, the Greek word "chose" here is not the Greek word used elsewhere translated elect/election.  This word is haireomai rather than eklegomai.

Also, the point is the verse is saying that God has chosen the means of salvation, noted in the word "through the ... work of the Spirit and (even) faith in the truth."  

Thank you Brother for a very thorough addition and for respectfully staying on Topic.

The reference to Thessalonians is something I myself considered at the end of my OP,then I thought,this will inevitably swerve the subject matter in the direction in seems to always go-" Isn't this saying we are CHOSEN by God for Salvation, predestined and clearly it does not as you so eloquently emphasized ,your efforts are always appreciated.

So,I'd like to SAVE the Books of Thessalonians for a little later on so we can cover the full context and everyone can get a much clearer understanding .  I'd like to get input on what we are covering up to this point before we address any questions regarding Salvation- let's try to stay on Service,vocation,assignments, mission etc..as that it how the words are used throughout the Scriptures (as you pointed out earlier)

Please jump in as you do to add ,by the witness & confirmation of 2 or 3 AND that Scripture firmly established the Truth of it within itself!!! Glory to God!

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

I must say I find this an interesting study...what I would like to know  is, is chosen as I was chosen by the Holy Spirit to be birthed in the Spirit ,is that the same meaning as being elect..?

This is the scripture that came straight to mind.

John 15

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes [1] so that it will be even more fruitful.
You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.
This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command.
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
This is my command: Love each other.
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
Remember the words I spoke to you: `No servant is greater than his master.' [2] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.
They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.
If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin.
He who hates me hates my Father as well.
If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father.
But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: `They hated me without reason.' [3]
"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.
And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

Dearest Sis

I/we do understand that by your personal experience you relate to these discussions as being Born Again but it is evident that whomever is the Author of the Scriptures (NT)we provide are addressing Believers,so that is not what the Word of God is referencing. It is about the " purpose" of our Call- we can discuss this later on or even in a follow-up Study but let's continue to remain focused on the Topic at hand - this will eventually lead to the subject you want to discuss,it's one that does need to be clarified- Believe me,when first we Understand the "the language" of the Written Words we can rightly Divide the Youvd quoted the entire Chapter of John 15 so I'm not really sure of what you are asking- is it the full context of John 15that you are wondering about,a particular segment? You have to be more specific here OR I can do a Study on John 15 in a separate Thread if you'd like,I'd be happy to!

If anyone wants to summarize the context of John's address please do so briefly as we are on the Topic of a specific word Study

I hope I've answered what you are asking

Love your Sis

So,I can only read and reply to one post at a time,y'all seem to type very quickly and then we will miss alot of questions and of course that winds up in a Thread that goes into many different directions.... I'm really hoping to avoid that and I'll do my best to facilitate this study in an orderly manner ..

Also,let me also suggest to anyone who wants to discuss something other than the Topic at hand there is another Bible Study Forum where members can begin a Topic of their choice-Ive tried to pre-empt this Discussion with a simple outline and it will greatly benefit all who engage and our readers to remain undistracted...  

Now,let me try to catch up here @FreeGrace seem pretty good at summarizing context-if you can assist with briefly addressing off Topic Scripture so no one thinks they are not included here I'd be very grateful!

3 hours ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Hello @Your closest friendnt..thanks for your contribution,..if we read verses 3 to 5 he has given us “ new birth “ ..which is the rebirth/ regenerated/ born again...of course that’s not what the focus is on..just addressing the scripture to the elect, verses 3:5 just that we all agree what the “ new birth” is, after all we are going through what this scripture means to the “ elect”...were not staying focused on the new birth....we are discussing or trying to discuss all of this scripture I posted.

online answer to new birth.

What is the biblical meaning of new birth?

Born again, or to experience the new birth, is a phrase, particularly in evangelicalism, that refers to a "spiritual rebirth", or a regeneration of the human spirit.

The rest of your post I would like to read and digest, then get back to you.

Blessings Sis

So I appreciate " Friendnt" summarizing some of the context of the Scriptures you reference - Again,the ELECT mentioned are not " elected" for Salvation- through Christ Jesus they( the Believers) are ELECT IN CHRIST- this was explained as a corporate election in my OP and again in FreeGraces post,this is not individual election or selection...   Has nothing to do with a predetermination regarding who Christ Will Abide in

God's ForeKnowledge clearly Written also has nothing to do with anyone predestined to Come to Christ,because God Foreknew He Does Know who will do what and whether or not they will fulfill the Purpose of their CALLING -;I'm going to stop right here as I do not wish to derail this Study and get into the difference between being Called out and people's choice to decide as they will ...

5 hours ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Would love to discuss this scripture with members?

It really speaks to my heart/ spirit..💗💗

Rather than jumping in with my own understanding of this scripture , I wait for other members to join in first, Without any animosity....🙏💗

1 Peter 1

New International Version

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Praise to God for a Living Hope

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hopethrough the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Be Holy

13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”[a]

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.[b] 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,

“All people are like grass,
    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25     but the word of the Lord endures forever.”[c]

And this is the word that was preached to you.

May I ask why your copy/ paste quotes are usually giant sized?I'm on my phone it does make reading a much harder task than need be,imo

You can copy/paste normal text size by using your settings-it not that complicated by I did it when I first learned how to copy/ paste so long ago I don't remember how to set that conversion-I believe other one or OneLight told me how