• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.70
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

Seems anyway like a lot of young men don't seem to be in much doubt (including various young men from time to time at our local church who would - just naturally, apparently - wear earrings.

Wonder why they decided to do that?  What they were hoping for when they did?

Not that I expect to ever know, or that I'm owed an explanation, just something that comes to mind when I see such things.

People usually don't do things without some reason for doing it, something they expect to gain by it.

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

16 minutes ago, FJK said:

Wonder why they decided to do that?  What they were hoping for when they did?

Not that I expect to ever know, or that I'm owed an explanation, just something that comes to mind when I see such things.

People usually don't do things without some reason for doing it, something they expect to gain by it.

I guess the short answer would be that it's customary for many young men of their age, especially from certain neighborhoods and families.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.70

1 minute ago, farouk said:

I guess the short answer would be that it's customary for many young men of their age, especially from certain neighborhoods and families.

Conforming to a peer group's standards to become a part of that group is a powerful motivator, sometimes a good one and sometimes a bad one.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, FJK said:

Conforming to a peer group's standards to become a part of that group is a powerful motivator, sometimes a good one and sometimes a bad one.

@FJK I'm sure there is truth indeed to what you say.

If I may just pull a memory from the recesses, 40 odd years ago I attended baptisms at conservative, independent churches and the fact is that some of the young men being baptized then - if it's even accurate or worthwhile to remember at all - would have been wearing earrings. It's been such a widespread custom for so long among young men but basically it would likely arouse the thought: so what?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  10,249
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I draw the line at nose rings.

LOL

Ouch! :crazy:

• Haha 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  10,249
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

3 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

i got a wolf pendant from a friend and i dont know if i should get a chain for it i know some christians say that the only jewery a man should wear is a wedding ring but if i dont use the pendant why keep it?

Wear it or don't wear it, my friend. It's not a big deal at all. 

Here's a good rule of thumb:

Do you like wolves?
Do you think they're neat?
Is that pendant just a pendant to you?

Then wear it with a clear conscience. :) 

I happen to like wolves like you do. A very long time ago, a rescued wolfdog pup was committed into my care. His father was a large white German Shepherd, and his mother was a timber wolf. We should note that the German Shepherd breed was crossed with wolves early in that breed's lineage. Breeding domestic dogs with wolves has a benefit associated with it: genetic problems (like hip dysplasia in German Shepherds) are eliminated in the resulting wolfdog pups. Dogs are a 100% genetic match with wolves anyway. 

My wolfdog was such a beautiful dog. He was sweet and friendly just like his father was, and he was handy to have around on the farm. He hunted rabbits like a pro, kept plots of land where we grew crops free of moles (he would yank them out of the ground, lol), and he kept the pack of coyotes that haunted the neighboring timber company's land away. Those varmint coyotes heard him howl one night, and they never returned. 

He loved kids and was popular with crowds. He would pull sleds filled with kids through the snow. :) 

Anyway, I don't see a problem with you wearing that pendant. I don't wear jewelry of any kind, but that's just me. I never liked adornments. 

Edited by Marathoner

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Who cares what others think...first ask God what He thinks. Would this piece of jewelry get between you and Him in any way, or would it negatively affect your witness in any way?

If the answer to those two questions are no, then ask yourself if it would get in the way of your every day life at all. A necklace would bother me to no end, I used to wear a cross necklace in high school and with how active I am it ended up bouncing around annoying me and catching things so I gave up on it, haven't work anything since.

I do have a little dog tag with a cross cut in it on a chain, but I have that hanging from my rear view mirror in my pickup.

If the answer to all 3 of those questions are no then knock yourself out....I can't think of anything in scripture specifically forbidding you to wear a wolf necklace.

44 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

If the answer to all 3 of those questions are no then knock yourself out....I can't think of anything in scripture specifically forbidding you to wear a wolf necklace.

@The_Patriot21 I guess a lot of ppl would reckon that whether to have pierced ears or a tattoo would work along similar lines to what you describe.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 minutes ago, farouk said:

@The_Patriot21 I guess a lot of ppl would reckon that whether to have pierced ears or a tattoo would work along similar lines to what you describe.

Yes Indeed, but let me ask you, what is your obsession with tattoos? You mention it in almost every comment or topic you start. It's something you may want to enter into prayer about, because obsessions arnt good 

Because they frequently get between you and God. They don't need to be anything evil or against the Bible. Say someone has a hobby of collecting McDonald's happy meal toys. Ok, nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but if they let it consume them, it turns into an idol.

Your obsession with tattoos, from what I've observed isn't healthy. Not because I have a problem with tattoos persay, but rather your obsession with them.  I'm concerned they maybe taking your eyes off of God. 

I know you will be quick to deny, in your shoes I would. However, I urge you to pray about it because you may not even realize it. That's how obsessions work, they slowly take over bit by bit and we often don't realize it until something or someone draws it to our attention.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

6 hours ago, Alive said:

I draw the line at nose rings.

LOL

Why not, everybody's doin it. Some tribes for a long time. Be cool....:)

33kq5wz.jpg.dcf11e8791fb9fb38175d080364c188e.jpg

• Haha 1