• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, NConly said:

2nd Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

I have some questions about this verse. I am hoping to find answers here.

Q1---- The years to day ratio implies aging at a slower rate than humans, Can this be true if God is eternal?

Q2---- Why pick  1 thousand?

Then the 6 day creation that tells us man lives six thousand years is using this verse.

And at the same time refuse to use this verse on the creation of earth. Stick with 6 24 hour days w/o sun or moon.

The light that appeared when God said "let there be light" was not the light of sun and moon they did not come along til day 4. Is it possible the first four days were 1000 yrs long the the next day were 24 hour days.

Take verses out of context is always dangerous. Genesis by the normal rules for understanding any written  material is talking  about 6 periods of 24 hours.

Peter is talking about the return of Jesus and giving an illustration  that God's time is different from our ideas of time.

Taken out of context one day = 1K years app.ied to Jesus's  resurrection means we are still waiting for him to rise.

It shows how ridiculous  and dangerous taking verses  out of context Can be.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,869
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

7 hours ago, NConly said:

2nd Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

I have some questions about this verse. I am hoping to find answers here.

Q1---- The years to day ratio implies aging at a slower rate than humans, Can this be true if God is eternal?

Q2---- Why pick  1 thousand?

Then the 6 day creation that tells us man lives six thousand years is using this verse.

And at the same time refuse to use this verse on the creation of earth. Stick with 6 24 hour days w/o sun or moon.

The light that appeared when God said "let there be light" was not the light of sun and moon they did not come along til day 4. Is it possible the first four days were 1000 yrs long the the next day were 24 hour days.

The solar system resides in the galaxy that also has a day month year as well but much longer time frame than earth time though very much like a wheel in a wheel gears in a watch, Genesis 1 covers them all.

Edited by BeyondET
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Who me said:

Take verses out of context is always dangerous. Genesis by the normal rules for understanding any written  material is talking  about 6 periods of 24 hours.

Peter is talking about the return of Jesus and giving an illustration  that God's time is different from our ideas of time.

Taken out of context one day = 1K years app.ied to Jesus's  resurrection means we are still waiting for him to rise.

So can adding hours to Genesis.

5 hours ago, FJK said:

To me, that means that time doesn't work the same for God as it does for man.

But if it is literal, one day the same as a thousand years, how long would that make a week, and how long the 70 weeks of Daniel?

Sometimes the popular use of a term as understood by the people of the time has to be considered, the say way we might understand that "a blink of the eye" means very fast and not a literal tenth of a second.

Time in minutes and seconds really wasn't a concept to people in ancient times before the mechanical clock, they couldn't count the evening and morning light without it. When there's no shadow or stars to gauge time it was elusive. It's about 18 minutes at each eternal of a day. If it was cloudy for a month forget about it lol.

Edited by BeyondET
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

As mentioned, antiquity probably had no concept of the division of time other than the moon and seasonal constellations. Also noted, on day one, the sun was not lit yet, and the moon was not reflecting the sun. But, all six creation days indicate a literal rotation of 24-hour days. I have my thoughts on Genesis 1:5 with the first light.

Weather permitting, antiquity may have used sundials. The interesting thing about using a stick and shadow is that marking the top of the shadow at intervals proves the earth is circular, not flat, and the globe's circumference can be accurately calculated.

But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

As we all know, there was no rain before the flood; drastic weather and atmospheric changes swept the globe. Based on the longevity of human life, global temperature uniformity, and the effects of the sun's radiation, I suspect there was some canopy protecting the earth.

The whole earth would need watering by a mist unless plant life only grew next to surface water. We might call this "mist" a fog, or at least it would restrict, refract, and hinder visibility. Could there also have been dry clouds during this roughly 1,500-year period of no rain? What I am closing in on is astrology, observation, and recording.

To observe and record the yearly lunar cycle and constellations, if there were only one night, the heavens could not be observed to record and track them. All previous data and recording would be obsolete, needing to restart the process from day one. In other words, it would take an entire year of clear skies and observations to figure out and predict.

My point: Did they learn this cycle independently through observation and recording, or did someone teach them?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

15 hours ago, Who me said:

I am not trying to push creation time using  2nd Peter 3:8. I am asking why does that verse apply to after creation but not  apply to creation as well. I understand most think creation is 6 24 hour days. I recently ran across this  other version of creation and when I look at the 24 hour day created on the forth day which I think would start on day 5 then I see a possibility of the first 4 days w/o the sun or moon could be longer days. curious why other dont see that possibility

• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,335
  • Content Per Day:  2.78

15 hours ago, BeyondET said:

The solar system resides in the galaxy that also has a day month year as well but much longer time frame than earth time though very much like a wheel in a wheel gears in a watch, Genesis 1 covers them all.

I agree but the 24 hour day creation  happened on day 4 my guess is it was not applied til day 5. So the first 4 days could have been longer. I do not know but seems possible. when God said Let There Be Light there was light but not from the sun or moon for 4 days.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,377
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Hi NConly,

The purpose of 2 Peter 3:8-9 is to encourage and explain why God is taking longer to fulfill His promises than many believers were expecting. 

2 Peter 3:8-9
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

We are reminded in this passage that God has a much different perspective on time than we do. What we see as a long period of time, is but a moment for God. Therefore, for example, do not be discouraged when time passes without the return of Christ. For us (i.e. from our temporal perspective), it seems like a massive amount of time has passed since the promise of Christ's return was made. But from God's perspective, it feels like about 2 days ago.

There may be some hidden revelation relating this passage to the Genesis creation account - however, nothing that could be taken, or preached, dogmatically. For example, one might attribute the pattern of sixes and sevens found in Genesis (and beyond) to be prophetically applicable to the creation happening around 6,000 years ago, to be thereafter followed by a seventh, thousand-year-reign where the raptured church is at rest.

That is something interesting to discuss, meditate on, and take to God - but that relationship is not supported in scripture solidly enough for us to be insistent/dogmatic. Nevertheless, it remains, at-least, an interesting, uncanny, coincidence - worthy of consideration.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

5 hours ago, NConly said:

I understand most think creation is 6 24 hour days.

The Hebrew does not state a day as 24 hours.

The word yôm means a period of time as well as a 'day.'

Given that the Sun, the Moon and the stars were not created until the 4th "day" for the purpose of “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years" then it is also logical that the days of Genesis are not our 24 hour days. 

The creation was in 6 periods of time in a logical order of complexities built upon previous necessary foundations.

9 hours ago, NConly said:

I agree but the 24 hour day creation  happened on day 4 my guess is it was not applied til day 5. So the first 4 days could have been longer. I do not know but seems possible. when God said Let There Be Light there was light but not from the sun or moon for 4 days.

Our sun isn't the only one out there, many old ones and older galaxies.

My opinion the sun was 3rd day. I know plants can't grow without sunlight and I don't have to make an excuse as to how. I read the days as such and I'm probably the only one who does haha 😄.

I read the first 6 chapters like this as well.

Days 1,2,4,3,5,6, in Gen 1

Edited by BeyondET