IGNORED

Matthew 18:3, How can we apply this to our life?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.84
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 18:3  "and said, Verily I say to you, Unless ye are converted and become as little children, ye will not at all enter into the kingdom of the heavens."  (Darby)

What did Jesus actually mean by this, and how are we applying it in our daily lives as Christians, the things we do and the things we discuss as Christians?  Can this be applied to our understanding of the Bible and how we practice its tenets?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I believe it means that we must strive for maximum trust in God and humility

little children don't have any pride, they don't even see themselves as better than another child. and children trust their parents completely. if your mom told you as a little kid the ocean was made out of blueberries, you would believe her. God wants us to trust him JUST LIKE THAT. completely, never doubting for one moment what he says.

Now, this also means we must be very humble. In those times children didn't have any say in matters, their opinion did not count. many servants were children, they are the very picture of humility. Like i said before, children don't see themselves as better than anyone else, they look up to people, they don't judge. 

How can we apply this verse? Firstly, we must stay as far as possible from pride. When pride sneaks up 'oh wow, i converted that person' immediately we must check ourselves 'Lord, forgive me. i did nothing, you touched their hearts. i take no credit for their conversion' 

Secondly, we must serve in every way we can. we must become the servant, helping anyone in need, looking for ways to please God.

(mark 10:42-45) ''And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

(mark 9:35) ''And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.”

(Matthew 20:26) ''It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant''

(1 peter 5:5) ''Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.''

Edited by portlie

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, FJK said:

Matthew 18:3  "and said, Verily I say to you, Unless ye are converted and become as little children, ye will not at all enter into the kingdom of the heavens."  (Darby)

What did Jesus actually mean by this, and how are we applying it in our daily lives as Christians, the things we do and the things we discuss as Christians?  Can this be applied to our understanding of the Bible and how we practice its tenets?

What can a child do but trust the Lord?

So trust the Lord for everything.

Trust Jesus Christ as your Savior that He has saved you for believing in Him.

Trust Jesus Christ as your Good Shepherd & Friend to help you to follow him by laying aside every weight & sin daily in walking in the light in fellowship with the Father & the Son.

Trust is the basis for all relationship.  Now that we have been reconciled with God thru Jesus Christ, may He help us to trust Him to enable us to live that reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ.

Something a child can do in entering into His kingdom of Heaven as well as living in that kingdom of Heaven.

Indeed, that is all any of us can do by surrendering to the Lord Jesus Christ for all things; our salvation as well as that abundant life in Him.

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.27
  • Content Count:  303
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

Beloved ones, we heard: 

“and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭18‬:‭3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Paraphrasing for clarity:

and said, assuredly I say unto you, that expect you be converted, that is the eye and ear of your hearts perceive and understand that you are included in the new man, and become as children of the new man, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Selah

How we should apply in our daily life? 
I consider this is the counsel we receive:

“and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Selah

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,882
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Let's look at the context a bit more:

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, 'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, 'Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'" -- Matthew 18:1-4

I notice that this started because the disciples wanted to know who was the greatest; I.E. the most honored, the most important, etc. It was a pride issue with them. Jesus said we need to be humble like a child. A child, even in their sinful pride, is well aware that they are no match physically for an adult. We need to recognize that we are not great, we are not strong, we are not worthy, we cannot save ourselves. We come to our Father humbly admitting that it is only by his power that we can be saved. Only by receiving grace from him as a gift (as every child must receive everything they have from adults) can we obtain it. Because it is all a gift and nothing we can earn, we have no ability to boast. It is foolish pride to ask which of us will be greater in God's kingdom; we will all be there because of an invitation and gift we did nothing to earn.

Life application? Be humble. Recognize your weakness. Live praising God for your salvation each day. Desire God to get all the glory He richly deserves for his gift of salvation, and let this desire lead you to do your part in sharing the Gospel with others, so that more people will turn to God and give Him that glory.