• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Debp said:

Apparently the guy put up a good front with everyone else.   But behind closed doors was an abuser.

I've run into the type before. Really unfortunate. I'd advise people to report them as well but people can be oddly reluctant to do so.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

9 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Therefore no, there still is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, even if they knowingly get married to an unbeliever, right?  Not advantageous (profitable), but also not condemning to those in Christ. 

This is my take on it. Context has been brought up over the course of the thread an adequate number of times so it needn't be brought up again, but to bring up another thing or two it's important to note that not everything in the Bible is a commandment. From the NT and onward we mostly need to concern ourselves with the two great commandments Jesus brought up and then in Acts 15 we see some clear behaviors to avoid along with an acknowledgement that the OT law was impossible for the Jews or their ancestors to realistically uphold. As a relevant case in point Paul said it was better not to marry, but clearly getting married isn't violating any commandments.

All that said marrying an unbeliever is still a mine field. Everyone wants to be that happy exception where it works out great and their unbelieving spouse ends up sane, but it's incredibly hard to be objective in a situation that by definition is so inherently emotional. So often people are just going to see whatever "sign" they want to when in all likelihood it's probably just confirmation bias.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

On 5/6/2023 at 4:57 PM, believeinHim said:

This leaves no place for me to interact with women who are Christians and living, the 'normal' Christian life.

I am going to disagree with you.

These women are your friends, they are Christian and they are not prepared to love you with your unseen illness!

Please  interact with the women's groups in your church.

Talk to the paster and his wife, to any elders and their wife's about Christian love towards those who are weak and in need of care and support.

Remind them that a godless uncaring world will identify Christians by how they " Love " one another.

You will need to educate them into the realities of mental illness, talk about postnatal depression and you'll  find many wife's on your side.

Non christian friends, chose carefully and there is no reason why you cannot have non christian friends who you can hang out with as well as share the gospel with.

Jesus was accused by the religious, of being a friend to sinners.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,672
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

A long period of a few years maybe.

And yet some are ( or were) betrothed to each other  by their future parents from before their own birth. 

I was married till death do us part to a fine gal whom I decided should and would be mine the moment I saw her walk past my parent's house in her girl Scout uniform.  I had to have my mother sign for me at the local courthouse for my marriage certificate application. My Bride and I were together for 48 years till death did part us.

My second wife was a Russian catalog bride. I meet her at a mutually agreed upon location, and that was that. Seven years now married.

I suggest time does not make for success, in relationships, nor does lack of time cause a failure. It is what one does with the moment at hand that matters. commitment is always met and tested in the moment at hand. Fail in the moment and the rest just doesn't matter for that is all plans, visions and dreams.

Real life requires effort and a determination to love God and love one another  in the now, the only time granted each of us to use to God's glory or to misuse in his name to one's own shame.

• Thumbs Up 1

p.s. It did not take a dancing around  of say a few years to become a Christian either. It was,  wow really  okay done. From there it has been years and now decades of a relationship that is measured in the moment, moment by moment.

Just remembered my one time up close to a team or teams of horses that would give their all to pul a sled of weights. Morgans, mostly owned by Menonites that compete  at events around the country.

I got to be right up beside them, standing so close I could feel the heat off their body's and sense the energy they would gather up to a peak as they awaited their human master's commands. Sometimes they were so pumped up that they would LAUNCH before their humans had hooked them up to the sled of weights.

Awesomely beautiful animals, yet even as a team one was the stronger, one was the lunger while  the second added great power and much success to the pull. Evenly yoked or matched?  Well paired, but no not even, as each served very well the needs  of the other toward success in their strong willed desire to PULL PULL and keep PULLing till they drop.

Therein seemed their success, it was in their determination to do their all in the moment at hand.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.17
  • Days Won:  31

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

My second wife was a Russian catalog bride. I meet her at a mutually agreed upon location, and that was that. Seven years now married.

Hi @Neighbor God bless your dear wife!

Sometimes of course if the parties to a marriage don't know each other well and they are from different countries, there might arise issues where they have different ideas about significant theological points, or smoking, or tattoos, etc.

It's such a blessing that prayer and the Scriptures together can have in the home, when regularly pursued together.

6 hours ago, farouk said:

God bless your dear wife!

Yep, actually I met her on a Christian message board. We decided to chance meeting. We did a daytime meeting at the San Antonio River Walk. She took me to the Alamo and cried some, I sympathized and that was that, we married.

We both knew we would from the get go. Well soon as I had passed the Alamo test anyway.

p.s. Texas is a different country, far different from Boston Mass. We still can't really have an argument because I can't understand her Texas talk and she hasn't a clue about my Cambridge dialect.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

36 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yep, actually I met her on a Christian message board. We decided to chance meeting. We did a daytime meeting at the San Antonio River Walk. She took me to the Alamo and cried some, I sympathized and that was that, we married.

We both knew we would from the get go. Well soon as I had passed the Alamo test anyway.

p.s. Texas is a different country, far different from Boston Mass. We still can't really have an argument because I can't understand her Texas talk and she hasn't a clue about my Cambridge dialect.

Wait a moment - didn't you say she was a "Russian mail order bride"?!  Or did I imagine that . . . (or perhaps it was a euphemism) :noidea:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Wait a moment - didn't you say she was a "Russian mail order bride"?!  Or did I imagine that . . . (or perhaps it was a euphemism) :noidea:

It is our joke that we share when people ask how we met.  

We each had been on the same Christian message board for years without ever having had direct conversation, even on that board.

• Haha 2