IGNORED

Why even care if another is Calvinistic, Arminian or Whatever?

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

12 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

theology.  I am pleased to say we are learning (through much trial and error) that we are never truly one in various teachings and practices - our oneness is only in Christ and the one Spirit we share.

This right here! I have said this very thing to folks with a different doctrinal view and was told there could be no unity.

shameful it is…thanks for this brother.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was reading Charles Spurgeon earlier today and it made me wonder how many members here think well of him and his views…sorry, I digress.

Perhaps an OP.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I r beens saying so. All it does is foster division 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well maybe it is okay to be a three point Calvinist. 

Seriously, I appreciate the position taken at one local church I attend when in town that espouses "major on the major's and let the minor's be minor. Love God - love one another." 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well maybe it is okay to be a three point Calvinist. 

Seriously, I appreciate the position taken at one local church I attend when in town that espouses "major on the major's and let the minor's be. Love God - love one another." 

I have not heard that phrase in ages! Way back when a was a young full of snot preacher, that was a saying.

LOL

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

To answer the OP: 
Because we are told by Scripture:
Jude 3 (KJV)
[3] Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints

Anyone can examine the historical documents up and to the fourth century and find that basis for 'determinism' and 'total depravity or rather total inability' was not found till Augustinian writings (4th century)... the early Church believed in freewill theodicy. Which as you can see Jude 3 says we are to contend for that faith 'the faith which was once delivered unto the saints'

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

I have not heard that phrase in ages!

Well I do go back a ways.

I was a "does it matter" employee of a church affiliated in Shepherd's Seminary and yes John MacArthur. Yet the twelve elders had individual leanings and grand discussions. One day a newer elder said I am a four point Calvinist, but  I  do have doubt about one point  of Calvinism".

Realizing I was seriously outmatched, and had need to deal with these 12 good men on a near daily basis, I began a  personal determined study for over a couple of years time only to find myself right back at "does it really matter?"

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08
  • Days Won:  0

Do you know how much arguing went on when America was first being founded, about laws, and land, and all kinds of hob knobbing and stuff that went on there, When America was first being founded, By all of the same people ? ! ! ! ! ! ! You expect all of this to get along perfectly together ? ! ! ! ! ! ! I can't even get my Senior Citizen mother to stop putting pop songs in HER head, Which then puts them in My head, And I'm the daughter !  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! She is more like the teenager, and I am more like the mother when it comes to entertainment ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

She has Facebook and Twitter, And I have a flip phone without a browser and a laptop ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That's blood related family, We cant' all agree on, You expect a whole bunch of differing views to come together, And what, Just get along ? It doesn't work that way in blood related families, And it certainly did not work that way with the Founding Fathers ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Loll, Not to like, Be the bearer of bad news, Or anything. Don't shoot the messenger. Loll ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

We are one in Christ, But we are not one people. One in Christ, Not one people. 

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Based upon a few discussions on here lately, I felt compelled to share this.  In the local ekklesia I fellowship with consistently, we have those who hold various beliefs or practices including:

·        Armenianism

·        Calvinism

·        Dispensationalism

·        Amillennialism

·        Tongue speakers

·        Non-tongue speakers

·        New earthers

·        Old earthers

·        Pre-trib

·        Post-trib

·        Mid-trib

·        Multiple raptures

However, when we get together we purpose to just make our focus to be Christ and sola scriptura and not particular views or systematized theology.  I am pleased to say we are learning (through much trial and error) that we are never truly one in various teachings and practices - our oneness is only in Christ and the one Spirit we share.

I must admit I sometimes am tempted to show others I fellowship with why my stance on something is correct and theirs is off.  The flesh is ever ready to judge another!  But, thankfully, the inner Anointing usually constrains me from doing that. "Behold how good and pleasant it is, when brethren dwell together in unity!" (Psalm 133:1)

I think it's good to remind ourselves that all of these things listed above are non-essentials of the faith (at least in my estimation).  The essentials are:   Do we believe Christ lived, died and rose again and will return soon? Does He live in each of us? Do we allow His Spirit to operate in and through us?  Do we love one another with the love He has given us, being patient, kind and long-suffering with them (regardless of the non-essential views each might hold)?

So this is pretty much the same on this forum, right?  There is nothing wrong with sharing our different views of scripture and theology - iron does sharpen iron.  But I think it's helpful to put things in perspective --> by our responses to one another, may we not get all wrapped up in teachings and always be conscious "of the one for whom Christ died."  (Rom 14:15)  They will know us by our love (John 13:35), not our supposed unity in teachings and practices!

Do you think this is a edifying word?

PS: Putting labels on one another simply divides and is what Paul warns us about in 1st Corinthians 3.  It is often the basis for accusations and the devil loves to categorize as a means to separate us from one another.

Indeed. Apart from essentials, theological positions vary greatly. 

• Thumbs Up 1