• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,987
  • Content Per Day:  12.26
  • Days Won:  31

2 minutes ago, Philologos said:

True, but if the needless different doctrine were removed, imagine what we can do, unified. 

I used to be asked by fellow believers if I was saved… now, I’m just quizzed on my doctrinal positions & bible translation… lol, I’m always ignored once I answer those dividing questions.

@Philologos If someone is bilingual, how is one's spirituality judged if someone approves of a Bible version used in one language, but not in another.........

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Philologos If someone is bilingual, how is one's spirituality judged if someone approves of a Bible version used in one language, but not in another.........

When believers meet with God in the Spirit, there is no distinction in the translation of written words. No one is judged by how they speak, as long as they are understood by all others.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,643
  • Content Per Day:  7.99

20 hours ago, Philologos said:

You brought up another point by adding the ‘definition of doctrine…’

the Greek word for doctrine means “instruction;” why would we define it merely as a “belief?”

How about a belief that is to be accepted from the "instructor".  Isn't that how schools function?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  6,987
  • Content Per Day:  12.26
  • Days Won:  31

18 hours ago, Alive said:

This is key when such members of a local expression of the body are out in the world going about their earthly business.

We do not deal with differences, outside of the core…rather we express Christ as Lord and Savior.

The love of the brethren turned the world upside down.

@Alive John's First Epistle has something to say about brotherly love, indeed...........

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.38
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

13 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Alive John's First Epistle has something to say about brotherly love, indeed...........

Yes---I have mentioned it before, but there are a few things that were in play back during the days of the early church.

The Roman world was rife with immorality and general hatefulness. The regular folks were attracted to the example of a simpler moral life and the Love they witnessed in the Christian community. Along with the Word of course, the Lord used those things.

I believe as this world grows more dark, our example of honesty, morality and Love will also be used of the Lord. We must realize, these things have always occurred at the local and personal level--within the sphere of influence we each live in.

I have seen this happen...here is an example of how the simple love of Christ can affect a person. No need for shouting from housetops.

:-)

Up until recently, I did small handi-man jobs for the elderly, which makes a few grocery bucks and enabled opportunities for witness. This one elderly couple, I had done several things for over a couple of years and made sure they knew that Christ was my Life--in different ways in several conversations. The man was dying of a blood cancer, is very bitter and angry, but intelligent and a conversationalist--when not in bed.

It was my habit to spend time sitting with him and talking--mostly listening, in fact.

On this day, he was a real mess and in his bed, but he wanted to talk. At one point, he said, "you are a very compassionate man"--I replied, "if there is anything in me of any value, it is Christ". His wife, who takes some abuse because of his state of mind, was blown away.

He passed away shortly after and it is my Hope, that the Lord called him.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FreeGrace said:

How about a belief that is to be accepted from the "instructor".  Isn't that how schools function?

I think the unique aspect of the scripture’s instruction is that it is designed to create unity, not just to provide education. The gifts we are given are to be used when we meet for mutual benefit- can’t have mutual benefit without instructing people on how to be ‘in the Spirit,’ (in Unity)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  10,560
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  100

On 6/20/2023 at 10:42 AM, Alive said:

I also believe that the Lord will give us lessons during our walk, that cause us to be very careful and avoid being a cause of any division.

Indeed. I have received lessons in this regard which, it is important to point out, were delivered by the discipline of the Lord. These lessons were hard to receive while I was young for these were in direct opposition to my mind.

Be silent. Listen. Overcome stubborn opposition. Learn.

"Oh, but I'm right!"

No, I wasn't right. Not at all. The Lord is right and we are not. Some lessons were delivered more than once until I finally received them in submission to His Spirit. Ah, but this is something virtually all of us must endure and I was certainly no exception.

He will teach us, and we will learn. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,643
  • Content Per Day:  7.99

2 hours ago, Philologos said:

I think the unique aspect of the scripture’s instruction is that it is designed to create unity, not just to provide education. The gifts we are given are to be used when we meet for mutual benefit- can’t have mutual benefit without instructing people on how to be ‘in the Spirit,’ (in Unity)

Yes, I agree.  God's Word is designed to create unity, but unfortunately, it's people who get in the way of unity.  Take any simply stated verse.  Gather together 5 evangelicals from around the world, and poof;  5 different meanings, all from that 1 clearly stated verse.  

Jesus' prayer in John 17 for believers was in the subjunctive mood:

20  “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
Evangelicalism isn't even close to being "one" today.  And the farther from the NT was written, the farther believers are from each other.  

24 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:

Yes, I agree.  God's Word is designed to create unity, but unfortunately, it's people who get in the way of unity.  Take any simply stated verse.  Gather together 5 evangelicals from around the world, and poof;  5 different meanings, all from that 1 clearly stated verse.  

Jesus' prayer in John 17 for believers was in the subjunctive mood:

20  “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
Evangelicalism isn't even close to being "one" today.  And the farther from the NT was written, the farther believers are from each other.  

Yes- people prevent themselves from seeing the unity from which the practice of unity can result. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.91

I would say you can achieve more unity through Praise and Worship over Doctrine.

Everyone can sing, Amazing Grace, and feel the Love of God.

Not everyone can read the same Verses and see why they were put into an idealism we should believe in.