• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"I will speak English soon." That is what the young waitress ( From Columbia) at the Mexican food place told my wife  in Columbian Spanish.

We went into a bit of a dive in downtown for some hopefully real Mexican food ( And it was really Good!). Turned out to be a nice find. The only waitress there did not speak English. When we ordered in English she looked puzzled as she spoke in Spanish back to us.

Fortunately my wife speaks Spanish and can handle many variations. She chatted some, placed our order and then conversed, learning about this young woman  just chatting pleasantly with her.  She ( The waitress) is Columbian, in the conversation she said no less than three times she will learn English soon. She gave the impression of being a nice young hard working woman.

Now just half a block away is another place, a Croatian Food place, and they cannot get help at all. That seems to be the case at a lot of establishments in at least some States of the USA.

People crashing our border are being called criminals,  drug traffickers, and the like, while what I see is  more people like this waitress. Plus, I see establishments closing up days of the week and even going out of business for lack of willing help.

On a national scale there is a terrible problem, an invasion of sorts, yet on an individual level there are rather tender compelling stories of real live people doing what they can to be something good in the world that we are all in.

All are sojourners, of  one kind or another.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,043
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  237
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Unfortunately when you get people in the thousands coming into a country illegally it IS an invasion and the resources to help them are overwhelmed. We in the UK are in such a position now and the do gooders can only see one side of the problem ... give to an illegal immigrant and someone else has to go without  Our health service for instance was never designed for the way it is being abused now and if you are in need of urgent care and go to A&E  you wont be seen for up to 3DAYS ...3 days of sitting on a hard plastic chair as you r even worse a loved one is at risk of dying before they get the medical help you have paid all your life to receive tends to make you less empathetic. Not being able to get the help your disabled child needs in school because all the resources allocated to special needs have been spent on teaching immigrant children on a one to one basis , watching young people that cannot afford a place to stay sleeping in parks and on beaches whilst illegal immigrants complain about the conditions in the hotel rooms they are staying in free of charge ,  watching elderly people wrap up in blankets of sit in cafes nursing a single cup of tea for hours as they cant afford to heat their homes whilst young men who have come here illegally swan around in high prices sneakers with top of the range phones and buying alcohol with the money given  to them at pensioners expenses  does NOT lend to being sympathetic 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.61
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

We in the UK are in such a position now and the do gooders can only see one side of the problem ... give to an illegal immigrant and someone else has to go without

"Do gooders care only about feeling good about themselves and virtue signalling how they are better than others, the havoc the wreak upon others is no concern of theirs.

None of them ever bother to consider why those migrants are leaving their home countries and doing something about it there where the problem lies.

IMO.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

7 minutes ago, FJK said:

"Do gooders care only about feeling good about themselves and virtue signalling how they are better than others, the havoc the wreak upon others is no concern of theirs.

None of them ever bother to consider why those migrants are leaving their home countries and doing something about it there where the problem lies.

IMO.

Christians like to virtue signal just like every other human on this planet. Obama tried amnesty and Republicans blocked it, then Trump tried it Democrats blocked it when Republicans took the house then Biden mentions amnesty. Amnesty is a tribal drum that will be beaten till the end. It's music that tugs on our emotional heartstrings. Our government doesn't care about those people at least for the 15-20 years I've been watching.

We've allowed satan to distort the rule of law and the mess in this country is a reflection of it. I personally believe we should create amnesty so that we can bring those people in to pay taxes instead of sending money home to feed the cartels. You don't know the seriousness of our debt burden and the effects it has on the global economy. Allow them to pay taxes for a certain amount of years then take the citizen test. But we have to control the flow accurately and gauge our economic conditions including the worker participation rate.  

Our political tribal drum has us focused on each other rather than the root cause of the problem. These people are being groomed and know exactly what to say when reaching the border. They also know what to say to receive govt benefits. I have knowledge because my wife is a social worker and helps them acquire benefits. 

If we continue our tribal warfare we'll never find the one (organization) actually pulling the strings.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

On a national scale there is a terrible problem, an invasion of sorts, yet on an individual level there are rather tender compelling stories of real live people doing what they can to be something good in the world that we are all in.

I've worked construction job sites over fifty years in my trade here in south central Texas, and often I was the only gringo. Most all those Mexicans I worked with were hard working tradesmen who only wanted work, a place to eat/sleep, and send money home to their families. I learned to speak TexMex, a trade off of both, and even started thinking in spanish. As in any group, there were the workers and shirkers, but overall hard workers who traveled hundred's of miles to find work. Not like those who are invading our borders here today, not all Hispanic, terrorizing/mudering my southern neighbors just a couple hundred miles south, moving north to a place like YOURS!

6 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

We in the UK are in such a position now and the do gooders can only see one side of the problem ... give to an illegal immigrant and someone else has to go without 

God says that "those who no workee, no eatee."

A typical tree hugging do-'gooder' is someone standing beside me with a bleeding heart telling me we have to help those down trodden,  while their hand is in my pocket getting the necessary money......:unsure:

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Slibhin said:

Quick clarification, does your bible teach you to let people starve? I need to know this.

No it does not, but it does say to rightly divide the Word. 

"She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness" Proverbs 31:27

"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command:
If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat"
      2 Thessalonians 3:10

Christian believers are instructed to help those in need, for sure.

"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35

"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’    Deuteronomy 15:11

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this:
to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
  James 1:27

It is better to not encourage laziness, when indeed someone could work to fill their own plate, and perhaps others in need.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,347
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Slibhin said:

Quick clarification, does your bible teach you to let people starve? I need to know this.

2 Thess 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

People crashing our border are being called criminals,  drug traffickers, and the like, while what I see is  more people like this waitress. Plus, I see establishments closing up days of the week and even going out of business for lack of willing help.

I find it generally makes no difference what group one speaks of there are good and bad in most every group. I lived in Houston, South Houston, Pasadena, Fort Worth and Dallas plus traveled there for work many times and found good and bad everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

3 hours ago, Sower said:

I've worked construction job sites over fifty years in my trade here in south central Texas, and often I was the only gringo. Most all those Mexicans I worked with were hard working tradesmen who only wanted work, a place to eat/sleep, and send money home to their families. I learned to speak TexMex, a trade off of both, and even started thinking in spanish. As in any group, there were the workers and shirkers, but overall hard workers who traveled hundred's of miles to find work. Not like those who are invading our borders here today, not all Hispanic, terrorizing/mudering my southern neighbors just a couple hundred miles south, moving north to a place like YOURS!

God says that "those who no workee, no eatee."

A typical tree hugging do-'gooder' is someone standing beside me with a bleeding heart telling me we have to help those down trodden,  while their hand is in my pocket getting the necessary money......:unsure:

I agree Mexicans are Good workers and many are nice people to get to know. I will say at one time I lived in an apartment complex in the family section. One morning I came out of my apartment and watched and counted 44 Adult Mexicans come out of a two bedroom apartment in the family section and get into several cars and trucks to go to work.

• Loved it! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,023
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Slibhin said:

Okay, quick follow up: What is the method the bible gives you to determine who won't work and who is in need, without error?

I don't recall G-d ever saying "no workee, no eatee" in the Torah. Can you point me to this? This quote seems pretty hostile to the poor.

Progressive Revelation is worth studying. Pretty much God reveals more of Himself as things progress.

The Old Testament has several proverbs that talk about laziness. Here are some examples from the book of Proverbs:

1. Laziness induces deep sleep, and a lazy person will go hungry (Proverbs 19:15)¹.
2. Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and never succeed (Proverbs 12:24)¹.
3. The one who is truly lazy in his work is brother to a vandal (Proverbs 18:9)¹.
4. The path of lazy people is like a thorny hedge, but the road of decent people is an [open] highway (Proverbs 15:19)¹.
5. Like a door on its hinges, a lazy man turns back and forth on his bed. Lazy people are too lazy to lift the food from their plate to their mouth (Proverbs 26:14-16)¹. [Sourced with help from Bingo the Chatbot]

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1