IGNORED

Is social awkwardness something to be cured, and would God want to or is it like Paul's thorn in his side?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

16 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

Thank you Depb.

I do try to engage in my interests, and I do put myself out there to talk to others, as it's pretty much unavoidable in life in general. My question was: is social anxiety/awkwardness something God can cure us of, or take away or am I stuck with it. I'd rather not be, that's all, lol...

Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, but it isn't good for our spiritual growth to be masochistic.

I actively resist the dominating, intimidating, manipulating, seducing social interactions that Babylon puts across my path. I will tell people I am uncomfortable with their behaviour if necessary.

The grace of God is sufficient to get us through any situation, even when we feel weakened by the dynamics of them. Longsuffering is an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit, and trials and tribulations train us to persevere knowing that in Christ we have a sure foundation.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

Thank you Depb.

I do try to engage in my interests, and I do put myself out there to talk to others, as it's pretty much unavoidable in life in general. My question was: is social anxiety/awkwardness something God can cure us of, or take away or am I stuck with it. I'd rather not be, that's all, lol...

I think you can eventually get over social anxiety.   Just remember you are a child of God through Christ.... accepted in the Beloved.  And take small steps to get more comfortable around others.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

17 hours ago, NConly said:

Not sure how many forms it comes in. I think  one form can not.

@NConly It does show itself in varied forms.........

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.82
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Can you explain a bit more?

When I was in elementary school we moved 3 or 5 times in 1st, 2nd, 3rd grades so I did not learn to read well at all or spell or sentence structure. So school was very difficult for me. As I grew I found I was quit dumb when comparing myself to pe0ple around me. So I did not like long conversations ( that would show how dumb I was) I found ways to express myself very directly and straight to the point with as few words as possible and became an introvert.

@NConly PS: Some ppl who are a bit reactionary might try to claim that having tattoos is somehow socially awkward....

But these days especially, this would be hard to maintain.

(Maybe belongs more to the tattoo thread.)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Debp said:

I think you can eventually get over social anxiety.   Just remember you are a child of God through Christ.... accepted in the Beloved.  And take small steps to get more comfortable around others.

Good verse there, indeed..........

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NConly said:

I found ways to express myself very directly and straight to the point with as few words as possible and became an introvert.

@NConly Economy of words can actually be effective and even forceful.

They say, "less is more".

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, NConly said:

When I was in elementary school we moved 3 or 5 times in 1st, 2nd, 3rd grades so I did not learn to read well at all or spell or sentence structure. So school was very difficult for me. As I grew I found I was quit dumb when comparing myself to pe0ple around me. So I did not like long conversations ( that would show how dumb I was) I found ways to express myself very directly and straight to the point with as few words as possible and became an introvert.

If it helps you certainly don't come across as dumb to me. I have been treated as a no-nothing too, but I'm waiting to be given a diagnosis about autism. 

I think people mistake lack of communication skills as stupidly in general. However there is a huge difference. Looks like it's a thorn in the side to bear, but if God is with us, who can be against us?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I think a lot of social awkwardness comes from a negative self image. I know mine does. It's not always easy to pinpoint the cause or causes, but often it's from youth. Maybe a person is bullied, maybe they are the fat kid, maybe they are an immigrant and never felt they fit in, and who knows how many dozens of other potential causes?

And of course some folks are just introverted. We would prefer to just get to know a few people really well than to always be among a throng of people.

I would encourage you to read parts of the Bible that deal with how Christians should treat one another. We are to be a family. Find Christian brothers and sisters that you can connect with. Even just one person to get started, who shares some common interests, and is mature enough in the faith to be kind and accepting. The more you interact with them and feel their acceptance, the easier it may become to open up a bit with others.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1