Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,026
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,364
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Interesting....most of these scammers are located in India.   Huge call centers there.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.63
  • Days Won:  1

I generally don't answer my phone for any number I don't recognize (legitimate callers -and some stupid robo calls that just play automatically- will leave a message), I don't use a smart phone and don't accept text messages. and delete most e-mails I'm not sure about without opening them.

When I do have one slip past and I answer it to find out it is someone trying to scam or pfish me I always ask them to wait a minute while I trace the call (they tend to disappear real quick like) or ask them to call me back and give the number of the police departments fraud investigation team.

Some of these people are really, really slick and sophisticated and can catch almost anyone unawares so whenever I have a request to contact some site about an order or something I always go to their site and go through that, the big ones (Ebay, Amazon, etc.) will have a record of the request on the site, if it isn't there it isn't real.

Not to insult anyone, but "Smart phones" are usually connected to dumb people that have no idea about personal data security.  The general rule on the internet is that if someone is giving something for free (apps, e-mail, and so on) it isn't their product, you are.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

"Jim Browning" on YouTube is probably one of the best anti-scammer channels. He really takes the time to explain the scam but also goes way out of his way to attempt to help those being scammed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  575
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  9

I feel scammers are all over the world. Not just India. I also don't answer my phone if I don't  know the person. Plus my phone will even say "Likely Scammer". Sad days... The mindset of scammers is sad.. I find it cruel. We can pray for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Patticats said:

I feel scammers are all over the world. Not just India.

True, also Africa and Jamaica, but India has huge call centers, some located in office buildings with many scammers employed there.   They are offered up to $25,000 a year which is an enormous amount of money in India.

15 hours ago, FJK said:

generally don't answer my phone for any number I don't recognize

The problem is the constant disruption when one is trying to sleep.

For two months, every morning for hours, I was bombarded with scam calls.   Even if I let them go to the answering machine, they still woke me up several times.

I had to let the phone ring as I was expecting calls from physical therapist, nurse and home care agency for mom.   Also, sometimes a friend sends us some groceries.

I reported it to the Do Not Call website.   Also, finally told one Indian scammer who called everyday for two months that I didn't want his diabetes supplies.   Also, told him I needed sleep since I'm caring for a disabled, 93 year old mother.    

The calls, thankfully, subsided alot after that.

20 hours ago, teddyv said:

"Jim Browning" on YouTube is probably one of the best anti-scammer channels. He really takes the time to explain the scam but also goes way out of his way to attempt to help those being scammed.

This is an interesting one with Jim Browning.   He says 95% of scammers operate out of India.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Updates:   So the scam calls started up again like crazy!   So I finally started letting every single call go to my answering machine.   After some weeks they stopped calling me!   Silence....so wonderful!

Also, sent another video about scammers to some friends.

One lady emailed me back and thanked me.   She said she got taken in by the computer support scam.   She was one click away from the scammers emptying her bank account!

She also had a friend who was being scammed.   She already had withdrawn money from the bank.   Her husband finally got word of what was happening...he told her it was a scam.   (Police scam told her she owed fines.)

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,151
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

and now with AI technology it will be even harder to discern true from malicious. give me paper letters any day ...mind you ....

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, existential mabel said:

and now with AI technology it will be even harder to discern true from malicious. give me paper letters any day ...mind you ....

Yes, I think because of the rampant criminal element on the Internet that is why the mark of the beast will come about.