• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

My fun hypothesis on the fossil record, via an analogy:

Someone creates an oil painting on a canvas. Later, they throw on a coat of whitewash and put a different painting on it. And then do it again, etc.

If you carefully peel back the top painting, you can see all the other paintings below it. 

And that is how I see the world. The "current" painting, that began in Genesis 1:2 can be peeled back to expose the painting below (fossil record), and that can be peeled back, etc. 

I believe it is theoretically possible that the bible is discussing this particular age of man that began roughly 6000 years ago, but is silent on all the ages before it - as well as the ages after it. 

This is just my hypothesis based on what fossil record we actually have today. Not to mention ancient ruins, Neandertal man, etc. 

I have another one about how many inhabited planets there are in the universe - without contradicting anything in the bible, but that is for a different thread.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Yes, and if you find a black box on a table and you cannot see inside, you could falsely draw the conclusion that nothing is inside, simply because you cannot see inside it.  :emot-nod:

It's good to see you again.  I have not seen you posting in a while.

I sort of lost interest for a while, and then I had open heart surgery six months ago. Honestly, my favorite "internet forum" subject used to be politics with religion second. Religion was second only because it carries more risk of being cancelled, which happened to me on another large christian site. 

Now it's in this order: Culture, religion, vinyl records and vintage hi-fi, politics.

And I rarely get into politics any more. I just bought a can of gas, some matches and a fiddle and am calmly waiting... It's all entertainment to me at this point.

And thanks! It's good to be back.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.38
  • Days Won:  1

Just apply Occams razor, which is the simpler, thousands and thousands of arguments, discussions convoluted explanations stretched out over centuries that can't be fully accepted or agreed on because there is always some question about testing their validity, or "God created"?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Those unsaved would tend to believe this bunk,

The unsaved will also see past our outdated erudition's. The majority of Christians do not take the creation stories seriously. To put it up as a barrier demanding allegiance to a different ideology from the Gospel before entering halls of faith in Jesus seem pretty egregious.

Edited by Scott Free

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  6,163
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, FJK said:

Just apply Occams razor, which is the simpler, thousands and thousands of arguments, discussions convoluted explanations stretched out over centuries that can't be fully accepted or agreed on because there is always some question about testing their validity, or "God created"?

So, you will find those born again and saved on the same page.  If you mean secular scholars trying to interpret the Bible, yes, they are confused and always will be.   Understanding the ways of God requires a spiritual discernment, which they don't have.

(ESV) 1 Corinthians 2:14 14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

A hint in this scripture is that the 'natural person' is not saved.

4 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

The unsaved will also see past our outdated erudition's. The majority of Christians do not take the creation stories seriously. To put it up as a barrier demanding allegiance to a different ideology from the Gospel before entering halls of faith in Jesus seem pretty egregious.

They are blinded, and don't know they are blinded.  How will they 'see past?'

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.38
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Sparks said:

Understanding the ways of God requires a spiritual discernment, which they don't have.

Interestingly enough, all they would have to do is ask God for it -spiritual discernment- but they can't because they don't actually believe in God as a real being they can interact with, maybe only considering God as a concept at best is all they can do.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Sparks said:

They are blinded, and don't know they are blinded.  How will they 'see past?

First, we should promote the Gospel and show His Spirit through charity, kindness and understanding toward those who hate us. These other issues are optional being their personal business. It is best to simply make points than to narssisistically demand allegiance to things we don't fully understand.

2 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

First, we should promote the Gospel and show His Spirit through charity, kindness and understanding toward those who hate us. These other issues are optional being their personal business. It is best to simply make points than to narssisistically demand allegiance to things we don't fully understand.

You cannot understand the ways of God without the help of the Holy Spirit, because the ways of God are spiritually discerned.

So, how will people who are not indwelled by the Holy Spirit, understand?  The key ingredient for their understanding is missing from their lives.  Satan has the power and authority to blind them.

13 minutes ago, FJK said:

Interestingly enough, all they would have to do is ask God for it -spiritual discernment- but they can't because they don't actually believe in God as a real being they can interact with, maybe only considering God as a concept at best is all they can do.

Why would they ask for it if they don't believe it?

Tell me how you would describe color to a blind man who has never seen to make him understand what you see.