IGNORED

being prayed over

Guest rockgirl29

Guest rockgirl29

I've been a christian since i was six and while the Lord has done amazing things in my life i still can't help but feel like I'm not what I was meant to be. I have never been prayed over to receive the Spirit. Is this something I need to have done, before I'm able to speak in tongues and heal? I'm so confused about this whole issue because I know that Jesus lives in my heart, so it's not like I don't have God's power. If anyone has any advice on this issue I'd love to hear it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I've been a christian since i was six and while the Lord has done amazing things in my life i still can't help but feel like I'm not what I was meant to be. I have never been prayed over to receive the Spirit. Is this something I need to have done, before I'm able to speak in tongues and heal? I'm so confused about this whole issue because I know that Jesus lives in my heart, so it's not like I don't have God's power. If anyone has any advice on this issue I'd love to hear it.

If you look at the New Testament, the most common way for folks to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was by Christians praying over them and laying hands on them. HOWEVER, God is bigger than all our 'systems.' He may want to do it this way for you. Talk to your Pastor.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/24/1989

I believe that there has to be a second baptism. But you don;t necessarily have to have someone pray over you. You can pray that for yourself, you don't need other people to do it for you.

Edited by living4onlyJC

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Yes, most of the Bible examples illustrate the laying hands on the person who is the recieve Him. Here is an example of when they did not:

Acts 10: 44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Yes, I can definetly tell a difference in my walk with God before and after I got filled with his Spirit. I mean, I still sin, and I still goof up and procrastinate, but there is a power to it, and as long as I don't seperate myself from Christ, I can resist temption more, I can witness, and people actually listen sometimes, and I find myself more zelous for Jesus.

Yes, I would totally recommend you ask people to do this with you. I suppose you could recieve him by yourself, but you will then have questions about tounges, and how to do this or that. You will need your christian family around you to show you the ropes. And there will be no question in your mind if you have recieved Him or not. If you didn't sense anything, even if people around you are saying you did, listen to God, because you will know for sure if you did or did not.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

please remember Rockgirl29 that someone praying over you can NEVER EVER EVER help you to recieve the Holy Spirit. While people praying for you is a wonderful thing, your salvation is between you and the lord. Someone baptising you, praying for you in a certain way or ANYTHING else has no bearing on whether you are or can be saved. There is no scriptural basis for someone else being capable of effecting another's salvation.

If you feel you are having troubles with you faith, pray on it. Talking to God is a wonderful way of improving your relationship. Its just like with people, if you never talk with someone, its hard to be thier friend.

• 6 months later...

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

There's a difference between being filled with the Holy Spirit and baptized in the Holy Spirit. We're filled with the Holy Spirit when we get saved. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit is being filled with power from God to do things like you mentioned, speaking in tongues, healing, prophecy, bold witnessing, etc. I'll probably start a big argument with what I'm saying because a lot of people here don't believe in this stuff, but all I can do is share my experience. I was saved. Then, about a year or so later, I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. I did have my pastor, his wife, and a couple other elders of the church lay hands on me. It wasn't any kind of swooning, falling out, rolling on the floor ordeal, and I didn't "feel" anything at all, but my pastor just told me to believe God would give me what gifts He saw fit. On the drive home, I began hearing this beautiful language in my thoughts. I opened my mouth, and I spoke in tongues for the first time. Some people are filled and baptized with the Holy Spirit at the same time, when they get saved. Some people like me, need to ask, if they want it. God decides who gets what gifts. Some people can't speak in tongues. Some people, like me, don't heal. It's all in what God's plan is for you in the body. Also, you don't need someone to pray on you. My pastor's wife just prayed by herself for it, and it's not necessary for salvation. All you need is to say yes to Jesus for that. :emot-questioned: I hope this helps.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

There's a difference between being filled with the Holy Spirit and baptized in the Holy Spirit. We're filled with the Holy Spirit when we get saved. Being baptized in the Holy Spirit is being filled with power from God to do things like you mentioned, speaking in tongues, healing, prophecy, bold witnessing, etc. I'll probably start a big argument with what I'm saying because a lot of people here don't believe in this stuff, but all I can do is share my experience. I was saved. Then, about a year or so later, I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. I did have my pastor, his wife, and a couple other elders of the church lay hands on me. It wasn't any kind of swooning, falling out, rolling on the floor ordeal, and I didn't "feel" anything at all, but my pastor just told me to believe God would give me what gifts He saw fit. On the drive home, I began hearing this beautiful language in my thoughts. I opened my mouth, and I spoke in tongues for the first time. Some people are filled and baptized with the Holy Spirit at the same time, when they get saved. Some people like me, need to ask, if they want it. God decides who gets what gifts. Some people can't speak in tongues. Some people, like me, don't heal. It's all in what God's plan is for you in the body. Also, you don't need someone to pray on you. My pastor's wife just prayed by herself for it, and it's not necessary for salvation. All you need is to say yes to Jesus for that. :emot-questioned: I hope this helps.

Praise God, billie! God is so good!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

All of the Holy Spirit is yours when you are regenerated. It's just a matter of how much of YOU ... HE has....

We always must seek to deepen our connection to Christ, but we are baptised all with the same baptism, one faith ONE baptism...at the time we are saved.

IOW, you are not "missing" anything you might just need to "USE" and "submit to" the Holy Spirit more often and more fully.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

There is a measure of the Holy spirit in all of us at salvation, yes! But there is another baptism..baptism by the Holy Spirit. This is something we must seek. In Acts, you see Paul asking the Christians, disciples even, if they have received the Holy Spirit yet.

Acts 19 says:

And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

If you are confused you need to seek the Lord for yourself.(God is not the author of confusion) You may need to seek him with fasting and prayer. Jesus has done everything for you that needs to be done in your life. Receiving the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking with tongues-if you believe that way-study the scriptures to understand it fully by faith- and ask the Lord-expect to receive it-as a gift is given and do not doubt it in your heart. When you get your prayer language-spend time developing in that.

blessings

candi