• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,793
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

@Mr. M  Oftentimes, you can take a single passage and make a point, but in the context of the overwhelming evidence of the Bible it is very apparent that justification is by faith alone.

The difference in terminology is pretty clear, that's why I asked.

Definition of Justification ... https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/justification/

Definition of Sanctification ... https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/sanctification/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.91
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Just now, George said:

@Mr. M  Oftentimes, you can take a single passage and make a point, but in the context of the overwhelming evidence of the Bible it is very apparent that justification is by faith alone.

The difference in terminology is pretty clear, that's why I asked.

Definition of Justification ... https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/justification/

Definition of Sanctification ... https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/sanctification/

I am not disputing the fact that justification is by faith alone. 

Sanctification is equally by faith alone. There is more to justification

than being reconciled to God by believing the Gospel.

The scriptures clearly testify that we are justified by the Spirit

in every, thought, word, and deed. 

Are you justified in separating justification from sanctification by way

of a dictionary definition? Or are you justifying yourself by way of your education?

You are placing justification at conversion, and then moving forward from

there into the process of sanctification, as if justification is a done deal.

The Holy Spirit must justify us in every thought, word and deed by testifying

to our spirit that they are in Christ. Separating into independent concepts

is the work of theologians (doctrines of men). Unifying every concept in Christ

is the work of the Holy Spirit. If this is convoluted to you, consider your own 

comprehension. Paul is clearly showing the relationship between salvation

and sanctification in the verse quoted. You say I am mixing sanctification

and justification, and to justify this, you provide links to lengthy theological 

essays. How about 2 or 3 scriptures that support the notion that justification

stands separately from sanctification as two distinct concepts of doctrine,

that I am convoluting.

What was Jesus talking about here? If you go by verse 9, it is righteousness,

if you go by verse 14, it is justification.

Luke 18:

9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves

that they were righteous, and despised others: 

10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray,

one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 

‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners,

unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 

12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 

13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise 

his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; 

for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled,

and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Now you may think that this is a different kind of justification, but on the 

contrary it is a perfect example of how someone who was justified by faith alone,

by the profession of his words, apart from and in direct contrast who tried

to justify himself by works of the Law and traditions of men. If you are unable

to see this, than what then is convoluted? Of course, his confession is not sufficient

justification for eternal salvation, but it illustrates how justification is more than

believing the Gospel Message, but in the living of it in thought, word, and deed.

This level of justification only comes through the process of sanctification.

• Steward

Think of it this way: One can appear to be "sanctified" and not "justified."

For example, 

Matthew 7:21-23  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?   And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.

So someone can appear to even cast out demons etc., live a life full of the "fruit" of the Spirit, and not be justified.

Justification will lead to sanctification ... and the two go hand in hand. 

1 Co 6:11  And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 

This is why the passage in James is sometimes confusing to those who don't understand that the two go hand in hand.  For example, Martin Luther preached salvation by faith alone and had issues with the book of James and thus wanted it removed from the canon.

https://zondervanacademic.com/blog/martin-luther-james-bible

Think of it this way ... 

Justification is how one is found righteous before God by faith alone in Jesus.

Sanctification is the process of setting one apart for God for His service.

Glorification is the final removal of sin.

Notice that Paul connected justification with glorification ... and not sanctification.

Rom 8:30  And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

One can appear to be "sanctified" ... and not "justified"!  Think about the many cults in the world!

Be blessed brother!  :)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, George said:

Notice that Paul connected justification with glorification ... and not sanctification.

No, I am seeing them connected, as if completed, WERE sanctified, WERE justified.

4 minutes ago, George said:

1 Co 6:11  And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 

By typical theological interpretation, sanctification is a much a done deal as justification by the statement that you quoted from 1 Co 6:11. And yet, you rightly propose that sanctification is an on going process toward Christ being "fully formed" in us. All these things are complete in Christ ("you are complete in Him"), and yet the Holy Spirit is working out what Christ has placed in us by His finished work. The Holy Spirit must justify us by the Light of truth in every word and deed. This is "working out our salvation in fear and trembling", and according to the verses in the OP, this occurs in the sanctification of the Spirit. the OP post #1 never mentions justification, you brought it into the discussion, but have yet to show the statement that I made that is convoluting justification with sanctification. 

• Steward

So, where is sanctification in this passage?

Rom 10:8  But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 

Rom 10:9  because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 

Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 

Rom 10:11  For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 

Rom 10:12  For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 

Rom 10:13  For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Content Per Day:  4.47
  • Days Won:  0

The Lord says this following thru the Apostle James:

James 2:24
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

James 2:20
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Apparently one is justified by faith AND by works.... and the man that believes justification is by faith only is a "vain" man.

And of course we are ordained and called unto good works which is done by the power of the Lord living in us (holy Ghost)

Called to Good Works

Hebrews 13:20,21
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

James 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

2 Timothy 3:16,17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Some may claim it's not doing a good work, but turning from our sin unto the Lord to become born again... is a good work.

33 minutes ago, George said:

So, where is sanctification in this passage?

Rom 10:8  But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 

Rom 10:9  because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 

Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 

Rom 10:11  For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 

Rom 10:12  For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 

Rom 10:13  For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 

Where is Grace?

Are you excluding 1 Thessalonians 4 from the discussion using Romans 10, because

the word "sanctification" isn't mentioned. Neither is grace, but we know better by

the full testimony, not isolated quotes, as you have already suggested.

The "word of faith that we proclaim", is also "the word of His grace". 

Acts 20:32 So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace,

which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

The OP is on the role of sanctification in salvation. Why do you keep diverting to

justification? What statement have a made in regard to sanctification that convulutes

the concept with justification"? Ironically, you have yet to justify your comments.

4 minutes ago, Stan Murff said:

The Lord says this following thru the Apostle James:

James 2:24
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

James 2:20
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Apparently one is justified by faith AND by works.... and the man that believes justification is by faith only is a "vain" man.

And of course we are ordained and called unto good works which is done by the power of the Lord living in us (holy Ghost)

Called to Good Works

Hebrews 13:20,21
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

James 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

2 Timothy 3:16,17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Some may claim it's not doing a good work, but turning from our sin unto the Lord to become born again... is a good work.

Could you integrate sanctification into your post, as that is the topic.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.63
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Stan Murff said:

Ya' know, I've thought about that for years and I'm sort of coming to the understanding that those without works don't really have faith, not living faith that directs their lives, that real and living faith produces works as a result of simply having it.

Works are an outgrowth of a living faith, a natural product of it, not something we have to deliberately choose to engage in of themselves.

At least that's my current level of understanding, imperfect as it may be.

• Steward

This is why Martin Luther wanted James to be thrown out ... I agree with @FJK that salvation will produce works, as I said from the onset ... sanctification is a "proof" of salvation, but not equivalent to salvation.

I believe the progression is that Faith leads to Justification, Justification leads to Salvation, and the salvational experience will lead to sanctification, hence a life of good works.   Ephesians 2:8-10 is clear on this issue.

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 

Eph 2:9  not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 

I DO NOT BELIEVE it's sanctification leads to justification, which leads to salvation.

As James says ... Jas 2:18  But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

James continues and says ... Jas_2:26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Be blessed,

George

• Interesting! 1