• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,114
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

I get what you are saying . . . because I have done that a couple of times. Interestingly enough, last night I taught on Jonah and how he allowed hatred for Nineveh to fuel his disobedience of refusing to preach to them.

Maybe I misremember, but I thought Jonah was scared of Nineveh because whenever Prophets of old brought bad news, many a times they were killed, and thus Jonah was in fear of his life so he tried running away from his duties. 

A lot of the Prophets of God were killed because of their message, many by other Jewish leaders. John the Baptist was killed because of a word of the Lord. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

4 hours ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Do you mean how some people will claim we have the wrong translation of a word and try to give an alternate definition that removes the criticism of the bible? I see LGBT trying to do that alot today. 

Yes, exactly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,340
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

4 hours ago, Revelation Man said:

Maybe I misremember, but I thought Jonah was scared of Nineveh because whenever Prophets of old brought bad news, many a times they were killed, and thus Jonah was in fear of his life so he tried running away from his duties. 

Jonah hated Nineveh. He ran in the opposite direction because he knew they would repent, and God would spare Nineveh from disaster. 

So, he wouldn't deliver the words of the Lord to ensure that disaster would happen. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Jonah hated Nineveh. He ran in the opposite direction because he knew they would repent, and God would spare Nineveh from disaster. 

So, he wouldn't deliver the words of the Lord to ensure that disaster would happen. 

Thanks for answering him . . . I was about to this AM but thought surely somebody else has done so by now. Yes, chapter 4 reveals Jonah's reasons for at first refusing to preach to Nineveh. It also reveals God's reasons for desiring to spare the city from destruction in the very last verse.

So . . . . how about us ? ? ?  Can we be so angry at groups of people (you fill in the group name) today who are 'anti-christ', anti family, anti-God  and support vile and nasty behavior that we refuse to witness and/or warn them???  Sure we can be righteously angry about their various sinful behaviors, but, what about compassion for the people themselves?  What if God wanted us to speak to some of them about His love and mercy so that they don't wind up in hell eternally separated from God ? ? ? 

Just asking . . .  Ray . . . 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

On 10/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, Starise said:

I recently heard a sermon taking stories in Exodus  describing the journeys of the children of Israel under the Lord's care, to the personal lives of Christians in making direct application to something God did with the Israelites.

In other words taking one unrelated story and making it applicable to your life in some way, only the first story doesn't show even vague similarity to the application attempted.

Has anyone else thought this, or am I the only one? 

OK, I confess to having been a chronic complainer!  After a study some years ago on the children of Israel complaining in the wilderness I was convicted down to my toes!  It has been my resolve since then to be thankful, not that I always succeed.  It is very clear to me that we need to learn from their mistakes.   

1Co 10:6  Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.

1Co 10:7  Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play."

1Co 10:8  We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day.

1Co 10:9  We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents,

1Co 10:10  nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.

1Co 10:11  Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

7 hours ago, Willa said:

OK, I confess to having been a chronic complainer!  After a study some years ago on the children of Israel complaining in the wilderness I was convicted down to my toes!  It has been my resolve since then to be thankful, not that I always succeed.  It is very clear to me that we need to learn from their mistakes.   

1Co 10:6  Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.

1Co 10:7  Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play."

1Co 10:8  We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day.

1Co 10:9  We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents,

1Co 10:10  nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.

1Co 10:11  Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.

In that regard the Jewish people seem no different than us.

Not too many babies are born coming out laughing. Our default position seems to be one of discontent and unhappiness. Granted being pushed into the world naked and cold after being all warm and snuggly sort of invites crying and unhappiness. Settle the tyke down with mom in a blanket and something to eat and the crying goes away.

We don't change much as we get older. Give us what we like and we are happy. Change our world and we tend to be unhappy, especially if it was unexpected. Only the improved person of the Spirit rises above that. If we could graph out a typical saved person, the line would jump into crazy heights and then settle into an acceptable normality, even in the face of bad consequences. What was a surprise is no longer a surprise, and is instead, a resolve to accept and move on regardless, even with potential joy.

• Thumbs Up 1