• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

33 minutes ago, FJK said:

Oh, I'm aware of that, but are those hormones and the physical development processes they control not directed by an under the regulation of the chromosomes?

It is my understanding that chromosomes determine every aspect of the person, some say all the way down to the type of personality he or she develops.

I'm  sorry that I am not explaining this well.

Yes, chromosomes control the development of the pre-born and the already born.

The chromosomes decide  when the  hormones start the sexual process.  And for the unborn, that's around the 7th week.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,051
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, other one said:

As for the appendix, I read a couple of months ago that some think it is a repository for good bacteria for the digestion in our gut.  When we get sick and flush out our digestive tract, the appendix helps replenish the good bacteria.

Yes that's correct.   The appendix is vestigial in the sense Darwin used the term "rudimentary."    That is, it no longer serves the original function (fermentation of cellulose material).   However, Darwin pointed out that many vestigial organs acquire new functions.    It is true, as you suggested, that the appendix is a refuge for normal gut flora when there is a disturbance in the digestive tract.    It also has some areas that produce WBCs.  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  5,051
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 12/6/2023 at 4:18 PM, FJK said:

The XX or XY thing -that is the absolute distinguishibility of Sex- is established and identifiable at conception.  It never changes and cannot be changed by any known method, natural or artificial.

There are some interesting cases where there are more than just two sex chromosomes.   Some people have three X chromosomes, for example.    Trisomy X is fairly common, about 1 in 1,000 females.   Sometimes there are difficulties that need treatment.    I knew a science teacher who was teaching genetics and needed more information on it for a class.   She was a bit surprised at the result when she Googled "XXX females."

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

There are some interesting cases where there are more than just two sex chromosomes.   Some people have three X chromosomes, for example.    Trisomy X is fairly common, about 1 in 1,000 females.   Sometimes there are difficulties that need treatment.    I knew a science teacher who was teaching genetics and needed more information on it for a class.   She was a bit surprised at the result when she Googled "XXX females."

There is also the XYY thing, but that doesn't change the fact that the presence of the Y means male and the presence of only the X with no Y means female.

A female can have an extra X and a male can have am extra Y but they are still either male of female according to whether the X is in combination with a Y or not, there are no YY or YYY people.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.10
  • Days Won:  4

5 hours ago, FJK said:

There is also the XYY thing, but that doesn't change the fact that the presence of the Y means male and the presence of only the X with no Y means female.

A female can have an extra X and a male can have am extra Y but they are still either male of female according to whether the X is in combination with a Y or not, there are no YY or YYY people.

In most cases, this is true. But there are many cases (in a world of billions of people) when it isn't.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001180.htm

There are VERY few absolute rules in biology.

The human X chromosome contains many genes necessary for sustaining the organism and the Y doesn't. Essentially, the chromosome we associate with "femaleness" is essential and the chromosome we associate with "maleness" isn't. That's worth thinking about.

Males can also have an extra X chromosome. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

I'm chasing a side trail, but it is a fun side trail.

36 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

In most cases, this is true. But there are many cases (in a world of billions of people) when it isn't.

You're talking about a deformity, a birth defect, due to developmental conditions not a different genetic configuration.

37 minutes ago, FJK said:

You're talking about a deformity, a birth defect, due to developmental conditions not a different genetic configuration.

I'm talking about an XY individual being essentially a female.

1 hour ago, one.opinion said:

I'm talking about an XY individual being essentially a female.

You are talking about an opinion, an XY individual is, by genetic definition, male.

That's science.

We are unlikely to come to agreement on this, I stand by God creating them male and female and am not going to change my mind about it.

May you day go well.

59 minutes ago, FJK said:

You are talking about an opinion, an XY individual is, by genetic definition, male.

It isn’t just my opinion. If you had a baby born with all female parts, I’ll bet you would call it a female.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

3 hours ago, FJK said:

We are unlikely to come to agreement on this, I stand by God creating them male and female and am not going to change my mind about it.

What about hermaphrodites, those born with bodies that are difficult to classify as either "male" or "female?"