IGNORED

Does God ever call someone to go all alone?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

1 hour ago, Who me said:

Which guy from Wales, there's  Christmas Evans, yes that's  a real name. Or do you mean Evan Roberts and the 1904 revival, or Dr Martin Lloyd Jones from the Westminster Chapel London UK.

Evan Roberts

Elijah got Jezebel on his back. John the baptist got the other one with a Jezebel spirit, the wife of Herod. Evan Roberts got a Jezebel.

But doing it as a couple doesn't make much difference either. You need a whole team or church with people praying for each other. 

Paul had a companion and whole churches behind him and people who helped him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, Renskedejonge said:

Paul had a companion and whole churches behind him and people who helped him.

Hi, care to flesh that one out a bit?

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, care to flesh that one out a bit?

And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.
Philippians 4:3 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/php.4.3.NKJV

Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, “Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
Acts 13:1‭-‬3 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/act.13.1-3.NKJV

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities.
Philippians 4:10‭-‬12‭, ‬14‭-‬16 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/php.4.10-16.NKJV

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.
II Thessalonians 3:1‭-‬2 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/2th.3.1-2.NKJV

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Ephesians 6:17‭-‬20 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/eph.6.17-20.NKJV

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

On 1/7/2024 at 8:28 PM, CaptWalker said:

As far as New Testament goes there are only examples of Apostles and whoever else being sent out in pairs, with the only possible exception being John the Baptist. Luke-10:1-2 is one and even Paul at least had Luke as his scribe when he wasn’t with anyone else. 
But I am really only asking this because of what I feel may in fact be the kind of “calling” God has put on my life, but still not sure exactly what that might be?

It's likely the someone mentioned in Luke 9, was alone.

49 Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.” 50 “Do not stop him,” Jesus replied, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

Edited by BeyondET

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:31 AM, Neighbor said:

"Does God ever call someone to go all alone?" Yes!

default_thumbsup.gif.347b7b75e45edcdb9dcf99249d0be7bf.gif

This is a question I have never considered. Since the eighties at church I attend I was first taught how to present/share the gospel and usually within a home, and while with another brother. Since these last few years I share the gospel by myself mostly and sometimes with my wife. I never thought about any reason not to as far as concerning safety or fear. I don't purpose to head to the local ghetto but mostly around all the neighborhoods where I live, or anyplace the Lord gives me the opportunity in my travels, which could be anywhere. I will receive any help needed as God allows/supplies, and he is faithful. Could be some trust testing/lessons at any time.

The lost (and trouble) is not limited to the slums and inner city, but they also wears a suit and tie, blue jeans or a robe and collar, or a dress. If safety and/or comfort is the calling requirement, then it is probably not to the missionary field. There are other areas of service that could be investigated.

If someone decides to be full time (foreign) missionary that is totally different, and I would think they need to investigate more fully with other missionaries all the details/problems involved. Independent Baptists churches that put the mission field a priority could help.

• Interesting! 1

Hi Sower,

Wow you just led my mind through files and files of personal memories. Ha, what an early morning trip!

I guess when a person starts out in prayer they are not alone, nor in the lead, so much as in the Holy Spirit, with His taking us along with Him.

Edited by Neighbor
is to in correcting a typo

Looks like some of the conversation  shared  on this thread is "lost". 

As to being called out alone, might I share that might almost always always be the case?  And that the call to go may not be  for great physical distances as it is to go into greatly differing  circumstances very near by.

I think back to a lady,  a member of a local body of Christ, that lived high on the hill ( The hill whose name alone told us of affluence) and how she up and sold her home to move to a home right down on the flatlands at the crossroads of turfs at Los Angeles. She brought her husband and children, but the call to serve our Lord at a most dangerous place was to her alone.

It was a very short trip physically, but perhaps the longest that I can imagine culturally. There she put on the porch light by night  and tended to the wandering homeless, and by day the many  peoples that were living  in flats at the slums along the freeway's edge up to 17 people to a flat in shifts. She went about taking  food clothing and especially the message of certain hope, that of our lord and savior Yeshua.

She did make the trip alone in that it was her calling from God the Holy Spirit  that she answered; but God quickly called others to be in support of "her" mission too!

That is just one little sampling. I do think each of us likely has a personal call to answer, one just to us individually.