IGNORED

Does God ever call someone to go all alone?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

As far as New Testament goes there are only examples of Apostles and whoever else being sent out in pairs, with the only possible exception being John the Baptist. Luke-10:1-2 is one and even Paul at least had Luke as his scribe when he wasn’t with anyone else. 
But I am really only asking this because of what I feel may in fact be the kind of “calling” God has put on my life, but still not sure exactly what that might be?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think the Bible says anyone went out by themselves.   Personally, I don't think it is a good idea for legal safety reasons.  Who knows what people might accuse you of if you are by yourself. I have very little trust in a good part of the people in the US today, and I don't have a clue about other countries.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

7 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

But I am really only asking this because of what I feel may in fact be the kind of “calling” God has put on my life, but still not sure exactly what that might be?

You really  need to discuss this with your minister.

He will have a far better idea of your abilities etc than we on line can ever have.

If you read missionary biographies,  you'll  see a common thread in that they all where working in there local church and were active in spreading the gospel. 

If you are not involved,  get involved as it will enable you to test whether you have a ' calling ' as well as letting  your church test whether you have a calling.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,579
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

As far as New Testament goes there are only examples of Apostles and whoever else being sent out in pairs, with the only possible exception being John the Baptist. Luke-10:1-2 is one and even Paul at least had Luke as his scribe when he wasn’t with anyone else. 

..."Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is desert.  So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship,  was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet.  Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.”

So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”

And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.  The place in the Scripture which he read was this:

“He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
 In His humiliation His justice was taken away,
And who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth.”

So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?”  Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.  Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.  Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.  But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea."....

On 1/8/2024 at 10:03 AM, Neighbor said:

..."Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is desert.  So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship,  was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet.  Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.”

So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”

And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.  The place in the Scripture which he read was this:

“He was led as a sheep to the slaughter;
And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
 In His humiliation His justice was taken away,
And who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth.”

So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?”  Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.  Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.  Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.  But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea."....

There is a very big problem in using  this passage.

It assumes that any person it is given to is as active in Christian service as Philip  was.

Is it fair or honest to use it as advice for a person whose Christian walk and service is unknown.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,579
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"Does God ever call someone to go all alone?" Yes!

Are you being called to go and go alone? I don't know.

Do you want to hesitate, wait for more specific a call? If so I guess you can, others have, including me.

Why even Moses did. 

BUT God will have his way, it is more a matter of how difficult for you  or me or Moses or Jonah the getting up and going will become. My own call became rather traumatic to me, paralyzingly so, complete with visions day after day for months and months.

May your resolve with God be far easier on you is my wish and prayer for you.

Might a review of Jonah 1-4 be of some help to you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I agree with Neighbor. It seems within the realm of possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,093
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

On 1/8/2024 at 2:28 AM, CaptWalker said:

I wouldn't do it. For instance Elijah. He got all the attacks and then Elisjah came. You need a whole prayer team. That guy from the revival in Wales. It went at the expense of him.

1 hour ago, Renskedejonge said:

That guy from the revival in Wales

Which guy from Wales, there's  Christmas Evans, yes that's  a real name. Or do you mean Evan Roberts and the 1904 revival, or Dr Martin Lloyd Jones from the Westminster Chapel London UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

5 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I agree with Neighbor. It seems within the realm of possible.

Seeing as how I have no wife or family then yes; the Lord has indeed called me in such a way. However, I can't say that I'm actually alone, now can I? No, for the Lord is always with me even when I find myself pressing on without the blessing of brothers and/or sisters to my left and right. 

I find that my walk with Jesus Christ is similar to my occupational specialty in the U.S. Army. My occupational specialty was tactical which is to say, it was intended to operate in the thick of things. Couched in a way that some might more easily understand, my place is the "mission field." That's where the Lord sent me a long time ago and where I remain to this day. 

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1