• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Debp said:

My neighbor actually lets me use his wifi.   Because our rent is very high here so I budget.

Our landline was costing us about $40 a month, that's why I switched. We do have cellphones though.  I don't think I would trust it using someone else's wifi though.  +it does use some bandwidth.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,348
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

18 minutes ago, other one said:

Our landline was costing us about $40 a month, that's why I switched. We do have cellphones though.  I don't think I would trust it using someone else's wifi though.  +it does use some bandwidth.

No, I wouldn't do it using my neighbor's wifi.

Our landline keeps going up...it is now $49 a month.

Someone else gave me info on the free government phones.   I'm thinking it might depend on income after all...not just being on Social Security.   I know we don't qualify for Lifeline on our landline.

Maybe I should try Consumer Cellular?   They say they have good coverage and they are reasonable.

We have some taller buildings around so I hope that doesn't interfere with reception.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

47 minutes ago, Debp said:

Someone else gave me info on the free government phones.   I'm thinking it might depend on income after all...not just being on Social Security.   I know we don't qualify for Lifeline on our landline.

Maybe I should try Consumer Cellular?   They say they have good coverage and they are reasonable.

We have some taller buildings around so I hope that doesn't interfere with reception.

You should be able to get T-mobil home internet for $50 a month, then use the magicjack on your own wifi.. Actually we are only paying about $50 a month for ourT-mobil cell phones.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

3 hours ago, Debp said:

Consumer Cellular is a good choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, other one said:

You should be able to get T-mobil home internet for $50 a month, then use the magicjack on your own wifi.. Actually we are only paying about $50 a month for ourT-mobil cell phones.

Consumer Cellular advertises plans starting at only $20 a month.   I don't use the phone much except for brief necessary calls sometimes.

I only pay my neighbor $7 a month for the wifi.   He says his wifi is only $20 a month.

12 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Consumer Cellular is a good choice. 

I might try them if A T & T gets out of providing landlines.

Since we have some tall buildings nearby, I hope we get good reception.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

I suggest a cheaper cell phone plan, so you can control how many texting you get and stuff like that.

There is no such thing as 'unlimited' anything.

If you have unlimited texting, you will be limited by the people that you text.

In order to deter the temptation, and the gravitational pull, I keep my texting shut off on one phone, and a build your own plan on another. 

You can dm me if you have questions.

With a landline, there is no capability of being caught in an unwanted text, coming from either direction! I am less likely to call someone, than I am to text them! A text can get in to more trouble than a call! 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, believeinHim said:

I suggest a cheaper cell phone plan, so you can control how many texting you get and stuff like that.

There is no such thing as 'unlimited' anything.

If you have unlimited texting, you will be limited by the people that you text.

In order to deter the temptation, and the gravitational pull, I keep my texting shut off on one phone, and a build your own plan on another. 

You can dm me if you have questions.

With a landline, there is no capability of being caught in an unwanted text, coming from either direction! I am less likely to call someone, than I am to text them! A text can get in to more trouble than a call! 

I don't want to text anybody when and if I get a cell phone.

I just want to be able to phone my doctors or sometimes people I know.   Not really a phone person.

Are all cell phones connected to the Internet?   

On 1/28/2024 at 4:22 AM, FJK said:

I use Tello for my cell phone, I use the minimalist plan (hundred minutes a month no data and unlimited texts I think) but I am a very light cell phone user and keep one only for emergency use and don;t usually even turn it on.  they have other plans, all very inexpensive and tailorable to you actual needs.  My plan is 5 bucks a month (plus about 50% in assorted fed, state and city taxes)

I never heard of Tello.   Do you have good reception?

I always hear about Consumer Cellular.   I think one can sign up at Target.

How do you know if you are going over your number of minutes allowed?   I'm new to all things about cell phones.

My uncle (passed away) bought a cheap phone and would buy minutes each time he needed to.   I forgot the name of it.

For my landline, I buy minutes for long distance.   I just put $15 onto it...lasts me a long time.   I wonder if I could use those minutes on a cell phone?   It's a Walgreens phone card.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, Debp said:

I don't want to text anybody when and if I get a cell phone.

I just want to be able to phone my doctors or sometimes people I know.   Not really a phone person.

Are all cell phones connected to the Internet?   

My Consumer Cellular Link II is not connected to the internet, but is no longer being sold from them. I have had it for a few years, I think.

As a millennial, I am expected to text my millennials more often than not. Also, as a millennial i am expected to text them in a less conservative way.

As a conservative millennial, it is a constant push pull, To want to be around your peers, but expected to behave a certain way.

I have been requested to never text some again, or ignored and ghosted, several times.

Edited by believeinHim
  • Thanks 1