Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

You should try Simple’s mobile I been using them for about six years., it’s pretty cheap if you don’t want full data. There lowest is 25 a month with tax about 28 simple mobile is part of t miblr. But you pay up front without a contract. I like it. I buy the 50 dollar plan. I get unlimited data. 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,028
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,369
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

4 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

You should try Simple’s mobile I been using them for about six years., it’s pretty cheap if you don’t want full data. There lowest is 25 a month with tax about 28 simple mobile is part of t miblr. But you pay up front without a contract. I like it. I buy the 50 dollar plan. I get unlimited data. 

I've never heard of Simple mobile.

So what exactly is "data" about?   If I go to a cell phone, I really just want to be able to phone people now and then.   I don't plan to text.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.63
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Debp said:

I never heard of Tello.   Do you have good reception?

I always hear about Consumer Cellular.   I think one can sign up at Target.

How do you know if you are going over your number of minutes allowed?   I'm new to all things about cell phones.

My uncle (passed away) bought a cheap phone and would buy minutes each time he needed to.   I forgot the name of it.

For my landline, I buy minutes for long distance.   I just put $15 onto it...lasts me a long time.   I wonder if I could use those minutes on a cell phone?   It's a Walgreens phone card.

I don't use mine much, most of my reason for having it is emergencies when I'm away from home or a backup if my landline should go down, but it has always worked perfectly whenever I've used it.  I used to use it on a fairly frequent basis when I first got it (had a higher limit plan then) and it never gave me problems.  FWIW, I switched to Tello from T-Mobile when they dropped 3G service and I had to buy a new phone form them to use 4G that was still available, T-Mobile has always given me reception problems and after the 4G switch it became almost unusable most of the time.  T-Mobiles plans weren't bad (although twice as expensive as Tello) but their service in my area became really difficult,don't know whey and couldn't find out.

You can look Tello up on the Internet and check out their plans, they seem to be able to tailor a plan for your needs so you don't have to buy a lot of services you don't need.  I'm not particularly promoting any brand, just giving my experience and noting that I'm a very light user of cellular services these days so YMMV.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,701
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Might be better now but T Mobile always had dead spots  plus trouble penetrating city buildings when I had them. Even with so called boosters  my home was a dead spot within the city.

For years now I have relied upon Verizon without too much of an issue,  except at the one place where I have bought a home in the mountains, but then no one penetrates that area.  It took over a year to get landline service activated there and it has iffy service at best.

I have to  drive nine miles find a spot on the side of the road between mountain peaks and hold the cell phone just right  and zip,- send a text.

So I am not especially chatty on phones.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also might look at Pre-paid plans as a better low cost option!

Do you qualify  for the California "Life Line Plan" a potentially free cell phone and service provider?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Also might look at Pre-paid plans as a better low cost option!

Do you qualify  for the California "Life Line Plan" a potentially free cell phone and service provider?

Pre-paid...that means buying phone cards?   My uncle used to do that.   I do that for long distance calls.

We don't qualify for Lifeline for our current landline...over the income somewhat.   I don't know if it would be a different requirement for the free cell phones.   Sometimes the government makes you jump through hoops to get something.

AT & T, if they get approved to drop landlines said they will mail us some options.   I just thought I'd ask around for input.

6 hours ago, Debp said:

AT & T, if they get approved to drop landlines said they will mail us some options.   I just thought I'd ask around for input.

Morning, well just barely eh? Looking at the reports from just yesterday, this change process will be a long term proposition, and even if approved there will be at least an additional six months of landline service.

There will be much competition I think  amongst cell service providers to get those of you in areas already serviced by them. You will get swamped with offers, and I would also expect a lot of SCAM offers!

Take your time learning what's what, and participate in writing  to the California Utilities commission, so that you specifically are not overlooked amongst the hundreds of thousands that will potentially be affected.

This may also be a play to get the base rates increased and approved for landlines, but the era of landlines is over. Companies are not going to invest in  keeping up their existing systems for long. Service will get worse and worse.

You will have time to learn and work out your own needs.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Morning, well just barely eh? Looking at the reports from just yesterday, this change process will be a long term proposition, and even if approved there will be at least an additional six months of landline service.

There will be much competition I think  amongst cell service providers to get those of you in areas already serviced by them. You will get swamped with offers, and I would also expect a lot of SCAM offers!

Take your time learning what's what, and participate in writing  to the California Utilities commission, so that you specifically are not overlooked amongst the hundreds of thousands that will potentially be affected.

This may also be a play to get the base rates increased and approved for landlines, but the era of landlines is over. Companies are not going to invest in  keeping up their existing systems for long. Service will get worse and worse.

You will have time to learn and work out your own needs.

The more information people give me (I also asked over at CB)....the more I realize I don't know anything about having a cell phone.   I feel pretty clueless.

I don't know how to activate them, don't understand about SIM cards, I don't know if all cell phones are connected to the Internet or not, etc.

If my uncle was still on the Earth, he could have explained more to me.   He had a cheap phone and paid for minutes.

I'll try asking a couple of neighbors but they might be on Lifeline.   I could phone my aunt in WV or a cousin in Arizona.

Oh, my aunt in WV had to put in a landline.   Her cell phone doesn't work at her home in WV!   She's in the woods.

1 hour ago, Debp said:

SIM cards,

Newer cellphones may not even have what were called SIM Cards.

Yes I know that it gets overwhelming, least it does for me.

When the time comes. You can make your purchase direct  by phone or on line from a provider. They will send you a phone that is ready  to go  with just a little help from them when you receive it. OR "perhaps" you might make a purchase at Target and get whomever is their local counter salesperson in that department to help you get set up.

I recently bit the bullet and gave up my old S6 Iphone for a 14pro max.  I might as well have been dropped off on Mars. It is a challenge for this old man. Loved my old 6S, but do not like the 14 pro max at all. Grr changing technology grrr.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.63
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Debp said:

The more information people give me (I also asked over at CB)....the more I realize I don't know anything about having a cell phone.   I feel pretty clueless.

I don't know how to activate them, don't understand about SIM cards, I don't know if all cell phones are connected to the Internet or not, etc.

If my uncle was still on the Earth, he could have explained more to me.   He had a cheap phone and paid for minutes.

I'll try asking a couple of neighbors but they might be on Lifeline.   I could phone my aunt in WV or a cousin in Arizona.

Oh, my aunt in WV had to put in a landline.   Her cell phone doesn't work at her home in WV!   She's in the woods.

Sometimes YouTube can be a valuable resource for learning about those things we don't know anything about.

• Thanks 1