• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1951

Thank You for sharing!!

It amazes me the names and meanings of God!!!.......I kept having the words to the song "You are my all in all" go through my mind while reading ....He truly IS EVERYTHING our all in all or I AM.

:rolleyes:

Treasured

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest evechot

No doubt everone whom you know has a name. God also has a personal name to set him apart from all others. Is not "God" his name? some may ask. No, for :God" is merely a "title", just as "President and King and Judge". are titles. We can learn God's name from the Bible, where it use to appear 7,000 times in the original texts. For example, in the KJV, Psalm 83:18; Exodus 6:3, Isaiah 12:2; 26:4.

Some persons are surprised to see God's name in their Bible. This often is because their Bibles are the one that seldom uses God's name. The KJV, for example, uses the "Jehovah" by itself only at Exodus 6:3, Psalm 83:18 and Isaiah 12:2 and 26:4 However, when this Bible translates God's name by the title, "Lord and God", it always puts this title in capital letters, as "LORD" which sets it apart from the common words Lord.

But why, you may ask, is God;s name not used in every place that it occurs in the original Bible text? Why are the titles Lord and God generally used in its place? In its preface the "American Standard Versison" explains why it uses God's name Jehovah, and why for a long time that name was not used. "The American Revisers, after a carful consideration, were brought to the "Unamimous Conviction", that a Jewish "Superstition", which regarded the Divine Name as to sacred to be uttered, ought no longer to dominate in the English [but is found in all other foreign languages } or any other versions.... Yes, men who translated the English Bible into English felt that the reasons why Gd's name had been left out were not good enough.

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

Names, Titles and Descriptions of God

abounding in goodness and truth (Exod. 34:6)

acquainted with grief (Isa.53:3)

Adam, the last (1 Cor. 15:45)

Advocate with the Father (1John 2:1)

all (Col. 3:11)

Almighty, the (Job 5:17; 1:8)

Alpha (Rev. 1:8; 21:6)

Amen, the (Rev. 3:14)

Ancient of Days, the (Dan.7:22)

anointed (Ps. 2:2; Acts 4:27)

Apostle and High Priest of our confession (Heb. 3:1)

author and finisher of our faith, the (Heb.12:2)

author of eternal salvation, the (Heb. 5:9)

banner to the people, a (Isa.11:10)

Beginning of the creation of God, the (Rev. 3:14)

Beginning, the (Rev.21:6)

Beloved, My (Matt.12:18)

Branch of the LORD, the (Isa.4:2)

Branch, a (Isa.11:1)

Branch, a righteous (Jer. 23:5)

BRANCH, the (Zech. 6:12)

bread from heaven, true (John 6:32)

bread of life, the (John 6:35)

breath of the Almighty (Job 32:8; 33-4)

bridegroom, the (Matt. 9:15)

brightness of His glory, the (Heb. 1:3)

brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon, the (Mark 6:3)

builder and maker (Heb. 11:10)

carpenter, the (Mark 6:3)

carpenter's son, the (Matt. 15:55)

chief cornerstone, elect, precious (1 Pet. 2:6)

chief cornerstone, the (Matt. 21:42; Mark 12:10; Eph. 2:20)

Child Jesus (Luke 2:27)

chosen of God, the (Luke 23:35)

Christ, the chosen of God (Luke 23:35)

Christ Jesus my Lord (Phil.38)

Christ of God (Luke 9:20)

Christ, the (Matt. 16:16)

comforter (2 Cor.1:4)

Commander of the Lord's army, the (Josh. 5:15)

confidence of all the ends of the earth and

Edited by Hobie_

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Other than Christ, arent these more of titles rather than names.

Yes, that is why the thread is called Names, Titles and Descriptions of God.

• 4 months later...
Guest Ade-Ayo
I'm not really starting a "study" per se, but this material is certainly worthy of being studied.

The current book I'm reading, Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby and Claude King provides a wonderful reference that is worth the work to type out and share. It's in the appendix and, being scripture, is fine and legal to share. (Being a writer myself, I'm familiar with copyrights.)

I wanted to start with just the ABC's and see what kind of interest there was. Would anyone like to have the rest? There are pages and pages of them and I have studied myself happy with them! To be able to experience God as all these things would be amazing!

If there is any interest in receiving more of this list, I will happily type them out. D,E, and F would be next. If not, I will just delete this topic. In the meantime, for those who may be interested, feel free to discuss these names and perhaps your experiences with how you've come to know God by any of these names, titles or descriptions.

Names of God actually are indicative of who He is and what He can do. I have Experienced Him in so many ways expressed in those names. :emot-handshake:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sisterkeziah
Yes! Keep it up!

I just got a small book the other day called "The Promise of God's Name." It gives some of the names of God with verses related to each aspect of God that the name shows.

I love studies of hte names of God.

As the song says: "there's something about the name". There is power in the name and the Bible tells us in Psalm 91:14 says ...I will set him on high, because he has known MY name.

Please keep the list going: it helps us who read it to see how ever-present and almighty HE is.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

In the Hebrew texts of the old testaments, God had but One Name which consisted of four Hebrew letters: Yud Hei Vav Hei or YHWH.

In KJV, this is often translated as the LORD or even Jehovah. Many people today know the tetragrammatron as Yahweh as well. As it is written, "You will not bring My name to vain." The Hebrew word for vain means "worthless" or "unused" meaning not to make His name unused and therefore forgotten. The true pronunciation is not entirely known because the ancients didn't write in vowels and the Pharisees (well, the Talmud) prohibited people from saying the Sacred Name (which ironically was in direct violation of the command not to make it unused). There is even a prophecy in Jeremiah which predicts the name of God becoming forgotten:

Jer 23:26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;

Jer 23:27 Which think to cause my people to forget My Name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbor, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.

Baal was an ancient pagan deity and in Hebrew even means "the lord." The LORD being the translation of YHWH was because the Jews replaced His Name with Adonai (meaning Lord or Master) in order to avoid saying the Name. Therefore, the texts ended up translating "LORD" instead of "YHWH." Even Messiah encouraged praying to the Name of God: "Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your Name..."

The Hebrews had many titles for God but recognized His One True Name given to Moses. Other Hebrew titles include:

- Adonai

- El

- El Shaddai

- Eloah

- Elohim

- Eloheinu

- El Elyon

-Abba

And many other titles. There is also the factor of Him being the Lord of Spirits and the "Ruach HaKodesh" as it's known in Hebrew, or the Holy Spirit (known famously as the Holy Ghost) which was the Spirit of YHWH. There is also another attribute to Him called His Shekinah in Hebrew which means "Glory" referring to the Glory of God. When it comes to titles, attributes, and other factors associated to God, the Hebrews had many titles to express His dominion over the universe and to describe His nature.

The pronunciation of YHWH is forgotten but scholars and groups have opinions. The most accepted pronunciation amongst scholars and many Jews today is Yahweh. Smaller groups prefer the pronunciation of Yahuah but many Karaite Jews go with the translation of Yehovah or Yehowah, which is where KJV got Jehovah from. The pronunciation Yehovah/Yehowah is supported by the Masoretic Text which is the oldest Hebrew Tanakh (old testament) which had vowel placements in the Hebrew text.

• 1 month later...

I'm not really starting a "study" per se, but this material is certainly worthy of being studied.

The current book I'm reading, Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby and Claude King provides a wonderful reference that is worth the work to type out and share. It's in the appendix and, being scripture, is fine and legal to share. (Being a writer myself, I'm familiar with copyrights.)

I wanted to start with just the ABC's and see what kind of interest there was. Would anyone like to have the rest? There are pages and pages of them and I have studied myself happy with them! To be able to experience God as all these things would be amazing!

If there is any interest in receiving more of this list, I will happily type them out. D,E, and F would be next. If not, I will just delete this topic. In the meantime, for those who may be interested, feel free to discuss these names and perhaps your experiences with how you've come to know God by any of these names, titles or descriptions.

-----------------

You can go right ahead and excite yourself with the aboundance of titles used to name God, but you ought to keep in mind that all these titles are the work of man. God, in reality, is absolutely One and incorporeal at that.

Care to expound on God as you know Him?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

I keep posted on my work board above my desk; Yahweh-nissi. The Lord is my Banner.

-----------------

You can go right ahead and excite yourself with the aboundance of titles used to name God, but you ought to keep in mind that all these titles are the work of man. God, in reality, is absolutely One and incorporeal at that.

Care to expound on God as you know Him?

----------------

If you mean by expound on God, a description of God, how is it possible to describe the incorporeal? The only way to describe God a little is through His acts of creation. Then again, it becomes dependent on the language of man. We don't have in our language absolute terms to describe the Absolute. The only thing I know for sure about God is that He exists and created the Universe.

So, when God said He was the "I AM", it was man, not God? Do you believe the bible was mans work or the works of God through the Holy Spirit moving man to write?