• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.65
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Something we should keep in mind: as difficult as it proves to be for some to consider, some of the dead who are judged in the resurrection will be spared from the lake of fire. Ponder that. 

I don't understand how anyone would think otherwise.

Does scripture not say each will be judged according to their works, their deeds, by an impartial God?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,291
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

Just now, FJK said:

I don't understand how anyone would think otherwise.

Does scripture not say each will be judged according to their works, their deeds, by an impartial God?

That's explicitly stated as you point out, brother. However, there are some who appear to be oblivious to the fact that not all of the dead judged at the great white throne will be cast into the fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.65
  • Days Won:  1

12 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

That's explicitly stated as you point out, brother. However, there are some who appear to be oblivious to the fact that not all of the dead judged at the great white throne will be cast into the fire. 

I suppose each has to come to his own understand in his own time as God reveals more and more to us as we mature in him and make ourselves ready for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

To touch upon that in more detail, @FJK, consider the widely held sentiment that those who are not in Christ are consigned to condemnation. This isn't always true, and the testimony of the scriptures bears witness to that. 

It's not our place in this world to pass such judgment. Without delving into decidedly off topic territory --- thus bringing things back into topical focus --- the only thing that makes us different from others has to do with our estate. Our estate is in Jesus Christ, with whom we are joint heirs. Our place is with Him always... but the testimony of scripture directly implies that some who are not in Christ will be shown mercy by the Lord. He surely was merciful toward me when I didn't know Him. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,226
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

9 hours ago, Starise said:

Oh I see now. Thank you for taking the time to clarify @Marilyn C

Yes in that instance they needed to work on the inside. What I see here are some believers who like to keep a tight circle. Do we want a part on helping others or not?

I have seen you minstering and I know you were active in that, and words o wisdom will never go out of style.

My primary ideas were more about outward focus to the lost and new believers. If we spend all our lives working on 'us' when will we be able to help 'them'?

Hi Starise,

I see the two going together - God working on the inside (attitudes, behaviors, motives) while we are helping others. When we are with people then that is when such arise in our hearts and the Holy Spirit can highlight it to us - then or later.

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 2

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Starise,

I see the two going together - God working on the inside (attitudes, behaviors, motives) while we are helping others. When we are with people then that is when such arise in our hearts and the Holy Spirit can highlight it to us - then or later.

Well said. When I do as the Spirit bids me, I'm being "worked on" just as much as He works upon others. The Lord is not given to accomplishing one thing alone; I have witnessed how God accomplishes many things simultaneously. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jonah is the perfect example of that. Consider the book of Jonah, then, and how the Lord made use of the prophet's childish disobedience.

Jonah didn't want to deliver the words of the Lord to Nineveh for he knew that God would relent of the calamity His word decreed, and Jonah hated Nineveh. He wanted their destruction, not mercy. How many things came to pass in addition to the repentance of Nineveh?

The pagan crew of a ship abandoned their idols and turned to the Lord... the sign of Jonah came to pass... and Jonah found himself delivering the words of the Lord to Nineveh in spite of his best efforts to flee. After the Lord was merciful toward Nineveh, Jonah complained about that. Wasn't that the reason why he fled? He knew that God is merciful and swift to forgive. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,876
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Commendable, my friend. You express the heart of Christ in this post. 

There are some who, in emphasizing that the deeds of man mean nothing to the Lord, go too far in dismissing our works entirely. This is not true at all, for the scriptures furnish us with examples of the Lord regarding the deeds of some men and women rather highly; one noteworthy example is Cornelius in the 10th chapter of Acts. He wasn't in Jesus Christ and yet, the Son of God regarded this man highly on account of his generosity and good deeds. 

The same was true of my adopted mother. This was a woman who "lost her faith" through suffering unspeakable things, some of which were done to her by a Christian mission. The bulk of what she suffered was inflicted upon her by Christian relatives. She harbored an immense hatred of Christians and due to what she had witnessed and endured, couldn't reconcile that with Jesus Christ whom she believed during her youth. When I first met her, she was an avowed militant atheist.

The Spirit instructed me to remain silent regarding such matters. I was commanded not to broach the subject but to focus exclusively upon serving this woman whom the Lord loved. The Lord loved this woman like no other and her generosity toward the dispossessed and the homeless was a memorial to Him. She gave to others with no expectation of recompense or reward and in spite of coming to her aid and devoting myself to serving her, she served me in turn. She gave me a place to rest my head... water to drink... food to eat... and provided clothing for me to wear. 

What did the Lord declare? Whatsoever she did for my sake, she did to Him. That she wasn't aware of the truth didn't matter. In truth, the simple fact that my adopted mother was so giving toward one and all was that memorial the Son of God regarded so highly. She didn't know Him and as impossible as it was for me to wrap my mind and understanding around the purpose and will of God, this was according to His plan. 

What? Yes. This woman who was subject to terror and horror for longer than I had been alive, abandoned by all she knew and loved, had lost her only son mere days before I was born. I was the only son of my mother. Her son was taken from her minutes after he was born, and my mother hated me. She made sure I knew how much she wished I had never been born. One woman didn't want me, but this woman desperately needed me. 

The purpose and will of God left me speechless, my friend. When the Spirit said to me, This is your mother, I grasped the impossible. She was the mother I never had, and I was the son that she had lost. Her estate meant nothing at all. So long as I walked in the manner that the Spirit imparted to me, I would witness the impossible on this earth. I did indeed. 

The Lord turned everything she believed upside down. She discovered that the Lord loves her like no other. 

Thank you for posting. Every time I read your post I see my shadow in your place in principal only but not factual situations but the same turmoil of life and the divine intervention which without it I cannot tell what would have happened to me. Your pain and your sorrow double that. The Lord one day told me you have finished your cup but you continue drinking from it. That's all in the past but I learned to consider others more than my self. To give my hand to someone and lift up the broken hearted. I come to understand how much Jesus loves those who have suffered in life and how much he loves those who are helping them. And we have the privilege to experience both kinds of love. 

God bless 

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Marathoner said:

The same was true of my adopted mother. This was a woman who "lost her faith" through suffering unspeakable things, some of which were done to her by a Christian mission. The bulk of what she suffered was inflicted upon her by Christian relatives. She harbored an immense hatred of Christians and due to what she had witnessed and endured, couldn't reconcile that with Jesus Christ whom she believed during her youth. When I first met her, she was an avowed militant atheist.

I did exit this thread, but this post was moving, so I thought I would just clear up what I observe above. 

First, what your mother suffered is not something that followers  of Christ would do to persons. They certainly was not following the teachings of Christ and therefore, though their organisation claim to do the work that represents the teachings of the New Testament, they were indeed false or imposters.  Anyone or orgainsation can put a label and claim to be what they are not.  Those people were not screened properly or the organisition itself is bogus.

Those that really reaches out to help the underprivilidge and teach of the Gospel or good news, does not display such abborent behaviour, they cannot be New Testament belivers, because no where does it teach to misuse or abuse brothers and sisters.   They just are false pretenders and not of the true believers that go out and do the work of a samaritian.  

Some reading that post can draw the impression that maybe Christians or as I like to use the word belivers, are not to be trusted and therefore shone any interaction with them.   There are many good Christian organisation with  people who devote their time and others to go into diverse places to help others with getting water wells dug, mediacal assistance and more, showing the love and care that TRUE believers are commanded to do with the great commission.    

So with that, hope other readers know that indeed there are wolves in sheep clothing, even with the Christian faith and those who use it for gain and their own gratification.  They will face their maker in due time. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Something we should keep in mind: as difficult as it proves to be for some to consider, some of the dead who are judged in the resurrection will be spared from the lake of fire. Ponder that. 

Okay, please explain this. What group of people are you referring to?

From Revelation we see that anybody whose name is not found in the Lambs book of life is cast into the lake of fire?

• Thumbs Up 1