Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

We must remain in His presence. That is what walking in the light, I believe is all about. You will find that walking in love, walking in the light, walking in the Spirit, are just three ways of saying the same thing. It is interesting, because the more we are in the presence of God the more we seek to please Him, which brings us closer to the Lord, which causes us to please Him more, which draws us closer to Him, which causes us to please Him more... it could go on and on. This is what we need. We don't need more behavioral modification, we need more of God, we need to press in to be close to Him. That is where the power, and the protection is. That is where we find the joy, and the peace (shalom) that passes all understanding.

We don't need more behavioral modification, we need more of God, we need to press in to be close to Him

You are right we can never be good enough in our actions and what we say.......God knows us too well, all I want is more of God and to be more Holy! And I know we can't go by our feelings but by every word of God :)

The Wb devotion today showed us:

God has me covered! :):)

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Thanks, Angels

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Secret Place: Psalm 91

By

Shiloh357

INTRODUCTION

As the titles indicates I am embarking upon a new study of the 91st Psalm. It is an extremely encouraging and edifying Psalm. It is by far, a favorite of many, and rightly so.

It is not clear who the author of this Psalm is. Many believe that it was written by Moses given the Tabernacle imagery coupled with imagery consistent with Israel's deliverance from Egypt. Some believe that it was written by David after his words to Solomon in 1 Chronicles 28:1-21. It would have also been fitting for David to be the author as it talks about God's protection from those enemies who seek our demise. David's life was besieged by attempts upon his life from a jealous King Saul, and of course his embattled reign of Israel, in a constant state of war with the Philistines and his own son Absalom's attempt at overthrowing him. Surely David could speak much about God's protection over his life, and such a Psalm would be fitting for David to write. It is worth noting that the Septuagint, Vulgate Latin, Syriac, Arabic, and Ethiopic versions do ascribe this version to David. Still, there is no indicator as to the author at the beginning of the Psalm, and no internal clues from the Psalm itself that would help us arrive at pinpointing its author.

One of the most interesting things about how this Psalm is written, is the constant change of "persons" in the text. You will notice in a simple cursory reading, that the author speaks of "you" "he" and "I" when speaking of the Lord's protection and deliverance. This leads some to believe that this Psalm might have been used in a responsive fashion by a choir. Certain parts of the choir taking up the different "persons" would have essentially been singing to each other.

By way of outline, given the structure relative to the different "persons" used, the Psalm can be divided in the manner as prescribed by Barnes citing Tholuck:

I. The general statement of the safety of those who put their trust in God, Psa 91:1.

II. A responsive declaration of the author of the psalm, that he would make the Lord his refuge, and the Most High his habitation, Psa 91:2.

III. A statement of the security or benefit of doing this, Psa 91:3-8.

IV. A responsive declaration - repeated - by the author of the psalm that he would do this; that God “was” his refuge, Psa 91:9 (part first).

V. A further statement of the benefit of this, Psa 91:10-13.

VI. A general declaration embracing the sum of all that is said in the psalm, as coming from God himself, containing assurances of his protection to those who thus put their trust in him, and confide in him, Psa 91:14-16. (Retrieved from Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible)

I find this to be a very useful outline and have chosen it to be format for our study here.

Amen. this is one of my favorite psalms. It is aparent to me that the Lord was speaking through his prophet to the Lord and the Lord's two end time prophets. And of course anyone who can grasp in His Spirit what is being spoken.

Denise

• 3 months later...
Guest shiloh357

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. (Psalms 91:4)

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust:

The obvious imagery here, is that of a mother bird who watches closely over her young. She protects them from the elements, and from danger underneath her wings.

There was a story I heard not too long ago about a forest that had been caught on fire. It took a few hours before the fire had been fully extinguished. Upon examining the damage, firefighters and other officials were walking through the burned out area attempting to ascertain just how the fire had been started.

Some time had passed and one of the men came upon the body of a dead bird laying on the ground with its wings outstretched. The man jostled the bird a bit with the tip of his boot, and from underneath the bird hobbled two little birds just barely old enough to walk. It became apparent that this was the mother bird and she had died protecting her babies. The mother bird overrode her instinct to fly away from danger, and chose to instead to protect her young.

You know, Jesus did not have to save us. He did not have to go to the cross. The justice of God demanded that each of should perish for our sin. He didn't, though. Instead of reacting in judgement against us, which he was well within His rights to do, He chose to protect us from the death His justice demanded in the presence of our sin. He died that we would have eternal life. Just as that mother bird endured the pain and agony of that forest fire for her babies, so our Lord took his wings and covered us, and shielded us, while He endured the heat, the pain, the suffering of sin until He had completely given his life on our behalf.

I want to speak just a moment on the word "wing," as this has special meaning for Jewish people. The word for wing is kanaph in Hebrew, but it used in reference to garments especially the borders or corners. Many observant Jewish men wear what we call the arbah kanaphot. It is a four-cornered garment worn underneath the shirt (or over the shirt in Orthodox communities) and on these four corners are the tzit-tziot (tassels) commanded in Numbers 15:38-41. We also have these tassels on the Tallit (prayershawl) that many observant Jewish men wear during morning prayer. The purpose of these tassels is to remind us of the commandments of God, and they are tied in with windings and knots in such a way as to be symbolic of the Torah, itself.

When a Jewish man wears this Tallit or even the arbah kanaphot, he is reminded of the presence of God. When he takes the Tallit and wraps himself from head to toe in it, he imagines that he is enveloped in the presence of the Lord, the very Shekinah (glory) of God. He pulls it over his head to remove any distractions, and during this time, he feels that he and God are alone together inside this Tallit, and that he is communing with His God and Creator. It is the secret place where He and God meet together every day. When a Jewish man thinks of being underneath God's wings, he thinks of the Tallit, but more than that; he think of the commandments that this Tallit symbolizes. The place of protection, the secret place of his presence is found living in the obedience that Tallit is designed to be a reminder of. A Rabbi once said that the Torah is the Jew's golden edged security. If you want to stay in the Secret Place of God's presence, seek to please His heart.

...his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. This is almost the same as the first part of the verse simply using different imagery. It is His truth, His promise, His very Word that is both our shield to the front and our buckler, our coat of armor that protects us round about. The Christian who walks in the Scriptures who eye is fixed upon God and whose faith is firmly grounded in His promises is impervious to Satan's onslaught. It doesn't mean that we won't face setbacks and problems, but we have His promise that nothing the enemy brings to us can spell our demise when we are faithfully, and aggressively seeking to abide in that Secret Place.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Good thing I didn't hold my breath :) .

Thank you for resuming this!

Seriously, I do appreciate your ability to teach, and open up scripture. :)

Guest torahdelight

Blessings. Thank you for this post! What provedential timing! I spent alot of time yesterday in prayer seeking G~d's will for my life and trust was something that the Holy Spirit kept sharing with me. You are a blessing, I shall print this off and prayerfully and joyfully trust my L~RD and Saviour to walk His way, not mine. Blessings and Shalom. SHell

Guest shiloh357

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

(Psalms 91:5-7)

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

Such complete protection we are promised, here! It is interesting to note the finality the absoluteness of this verse. Thou shalt NOT..." It is impossible to, one the hand, dwell in God's presence and, at the same time, live in fear. We shall not live in fear of what lies in wait either by day or by night. God's presence is the place of safety. The children of Israel while under the pillar of fire by night and the cloud of smoke by day, were under God's protection. If they left the safety of that covering of smoke or fire, they would fall prey to whatever lay in wait in the desert wilderness.

When we dwell in His Presence, when we make the Lord our habitation (Ps. 37), we can rest with the calm assurance that no matter how the enemy rages, the Lord holds us safely near, and will not let the enemy come near our dwelling.

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD. (Isaiah 54:17)

This is the result of a vibrant and living faith in Christ. It is not a mere religious profession, but a living, daily trust in God that springs from an intimate relationship with Him in Christ. The one who truly rests in God will be able to say along with the Psalmist,

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

(Psalms 27:1-5)

To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

(Psalms 46:1-2)

I think we should all keep this promise in remembrance:

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

(Isaiah 43:2)

Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

I believe that darkness and noonday to be metaphorical here. The Psalmist is not saying that there are specific plagues that only occur at night or during the day. "The Pestilence that walketh in darkness" refers to those things that happen for which we cannot explain their source. It is those things that take us unaware. It is said to "walk in darkness" because it arises from unknown causes. I say that, because the word used for darkness in Hebrew for this particular word is ophel and refers to obscurity or ambiguity. Yet, God also says that we are protected from those things that are readily apparent as well. Whether the danger is apparent or not, the man who rests in God is assured protection from them both.

You see, unlike other people, we are not tied to days and seasons. Our rest in God is not shaken by what happens around us. It does not depend upon stock market, the health of our economy, by what we feel, hear or see. It is based upon God Himself. I absolutely love how C.H. Spurgeon puts it:

Upon the child of the Lord's own heart, pestilence has no destroying power, and calamity no wasting influence: pestilence walks in darkness, but he dwells in light; destruction wastes at noonday, but upon him another sun has risen whose beams bring restoration. Remember that the voice which saith

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you Shiloh,I love thiss study.

I'm going to study it with the Bible later :)

Thank you!! :24:

Guest shiloh357

Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

(Psalms 91:8)

You will see the fruit of their conduct.Only with our eyes will we behold both the natural consequences of the world's rebellion, but also God's retribution. Noah was spared the destruction of the flood. God kept Israel in the midst of the plagues that befell Egypt. Israel watched as the legions of Pharaoh were crushed in the Red Sea. Joshua and Caleb watched as their generation died for their lack of faith. Joshua and Caleb were the only two Israelites who came into the Promised Land, who were also alive at the Exodus. Daniel saw as those who transpired against him fell prey to the very trap they had laid for him. Elijah was fed by God during the drought. The Bible says that during the Millenium we will be able to look upon the carcassess of those who transgressed against the Lord (Isaiah 66:24)

Noah still had to go through the flood, Daniel still had to go into the Lion's den, Israel still had to live in the midst of the plagues, but God preserved them in the midst of it all. Joshua and Caleb still had to go through the wilderness. We will still have problems, setbacks, issues in our lives. God does not promise that we will not have problems, but for those whose faith is truly set upon God, these problems are really opportunities for God to be glorified. Unlike the rest of the world, our problems will not spell our demise.

For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

(Psalms 37:9-10)

Those who wait upon the Lord, who have made the Lord their habitation, who live in quiet expectation, shall inherit the earth. It is they who are described as meek. They are meek before the Lord, and to those who live humbly before Him, He will exalt in due time. The Psalmist tells us that one day we shall see the wicked prosper, but the next his fortunes and Kingdoms will have melted away. We will see their demise but we will not taken in it with them. God knows how to preserve His own. Only with our eyes will see their riches evaporate, their power decay, their happiness turned to unbearable sorrow. As quickly as they rise, they fall.

Note the difference in Psalm 1. Those who follow the Lord, do not participate in, nor give approval to, the conduct of the wicked. Rather their delight is in God's precepts, His commandments. They meditate upon them day and night. The Psalmist tells us that they are like a tree planted by streams of water. A tree of that nature has its roots deep in the soil. It grows strong from the constant nourishment of the stream or river. We are told that just like that tree, our leaf does not wither or fade, and that all we set our hands to do will prosper.

The wicked however are not like that. They are like the chaff that is blown away by the wind; here today, gone tomorrow. They have no root, they have built their lives on things which decay. They have built their lives upon a world system that is all to happy to betray them at any given moment. We are given the assurance that not only will their plans against us fail, but we will witness in safety, the retribution they will reap for their wickedness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Thank you so very much! What a blessing. Goes right along with what I have been teaching so will definitely incorporate. Thanks again. What you are doing is spreading far and wide!