• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Who me said:

If someone wants to start asking questions about slavery in the bible, they need 5o do their research before posting questions.

I asked you to explain the different forms of slavery in the bible since you accused me of not knowing?   Yet, here you are still unable to explain and with more accusations.  I would ask you to follow your own advice.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 3/16/2024 at 5:30 PM, D. Adrien said:

Also human trafficking which occurs across the U.S. southern border regularly with NGOs being a big contributor to the problem.

I believe the global problem is much bigger than is being reported. It is a horrific humanitarian crime with reporting and disclosure being suppressed, to my knowledge.

Some big Hollywood, political, and influencer names are mentioned with involvement from insiders. Whether it is true or not, I do not know. One thing is for sure: making a movie exposing human trafficking draws the ire of Hollywood.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Kidnapping is unequivocally, unambiguously prohibited under Mosaic Law.

Exodus 21:16
He who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surely be put to death.

1 Timothy 1:9-11
knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.

Slavery, in general, is a much larger and more nuanced topic - which would have to be addressed on a specific cultural level - as many different types of historical servitude have been described as "slavery". 

New World slavery (most people's conception of "slavery") stripped individuals (each created by God, in His image) of their human dignity. These slaves were not only kidnapped, but treated as disposable commodities.

Slaves in the Ancient Near East (e.g. Greece, Rome) were a class of society. Slaves could run households, and businesses, and even own their own slaves.

The slavery of Hebrews under Mosaic Law was voluntary (except for the prospective masters), and temporary - and served as a type of welfare for Hebrews facing hard times.

Joseph was a slave in Egypt, but also the second most powerful person on the planet at the time.

A slave around Abraham's time meant you were part of a tribe - whose size contributed to your (and the tribe's) survival. A slave enjoyed the protections and resources associated with being part of a larger family structure - albeit from the bottom of the authority chain.

I don't say any of this to be Pollyanna about the plight of historical slaves. Slaves could be mistreated in any context. However, even in a free context, poor and vulnerable people can be mistreated by the powerful.

- Which is all to say that the claim "God condemns slavery" is too simplistic to be a useful reflection of God's opinion of "slavery".