• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

Repent

This article discusses the meaning of “repent”.

Throughout the Bible God clearly demonstrates that “repent” is “a change of mind”.

In Acts 17:29‑31, God commands everyone to repent, that is to change your mind and not think of God as the product of man’s imagination and skill.

In Jeremiah 18:7‑8, God sets forth conditions for when he will repent of the evil he said he would do. And, in Jeremiah 18:9‑10 for when he will repent of the good he said he would do.

There are many scriptures where God repented, and we’ll look at a few examples, thus proving that “to repent” is “to change your mind”.

In Acts 20:21 the Apostle Paul testifies to all repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Edited by More Noble
Reduced font size

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 AM, More Noble said:

Repent

[Unapproved Link Removed by Admin]

This article discusses the meaning of “repent”.

Throughout the Bible God clearly demonstrates that “repent” is “a change of mind”.

Repentance involves both mind and actions.  For example, If a person were planning on murdering someone but while on their way to commit this murder, they realized how evil this action would be and so they had a change of heart and repented which resulted in them never proceeding with murdering the other person.  On the other hand, If this person realized in their mind how evil and may even felt shameful for what they were going to do but still ended up going murdering the other person.  Even though they were convicted and felt shame in their plan, they never really repented.   Repentance involves thoughts and actions.

I would say repentance starts in the heart but the proof is in your actions.  

"Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, ... "And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. [Mat 3:8, 10]

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.90
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

15 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

"Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, ... "And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. [Mat 3:8, 10]

Acts 26:19 Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 

20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout

all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent,

turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Repentance in the mind is meaningless without a changed way of life.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  4.25

20 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Acts 26:19 Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, 

20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout

all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent,

turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.

Repentance in the mind is meaningless without a changed way of life.

Exactly. All theology and knowledge of doctrine needs to take a back seat to being a doer of the word. Live the teachings of Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit within.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,190
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:17‭-‬32 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/eph.4.17-32.NKJV

Edited by RdJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  434
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,226
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

:applaudit:

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  434
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,226
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

On 4/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Repentance involves both mind and actions.  For example, If a person were planning on murdering someone but while on their way to commit this murder, they realized how evil this action would be and so they had a change of heart and repented which resulted in them never proceeding with murdering the other person.  On the other hand, If this person realized in their mind how evil and may even felt shameful for what they were going to do but still ended up going murdering the other person.  Even though they were convicted and felt shame in their plan, they never really repented.   Repentance involves thoughts and actions.

I am a little concerned murdering someone would be on the forefront of somebody's mind, but I know it's different for everyone, and an especially unpopular opinion, as well. 😳

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

15 hours ago, believeinHim said:

I am a little concerned murdering someone would be on the forefront of somebody's mind, but I know it's different for everyone, and an especially unpopular opinion, as well. 😳

It does not have to be murder..it could be lie, cheat, steal, bear false witness, adultery, etc....  I just used that as an example.  You get the point hopefully.