When you leaned not on your own understanding

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  459
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

I would love to hear about periods of times in your life where there were challenges and things seemed bleak and confusing but you trusted God.

What happened? What was the outcome? We know that he works all things for good for those who love Him. What did that look like in your life? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

I would love to hear about periods of times in your life where there were challenges and things seemed bleak and confusing but you trusted God.

What happened? What was the outcome? We know that he works all things for good for those who love Him. What did that look like in your life? 

How much time do you have on your hands to hear of it all?  LOL!

You know the Jack Nicholson line from the movie as Good As It Gets- "What if this is as good as it gets?"

Well that is life, with or without knowledge of God. The difference is not in the knowing, but the stamina to withstand it all that comes when the Holy Spirit reveals and then indwells, and one knows the victory has been obtained already at the cross at Calvary.

The somewhat contemporary classic  Christian music song Joy Comes In the Morning, by the Gaithers pretty well covers it. Joy comes in the morning.

If you've knelt beside the rubble of an aching broken heart
When the things you gave your life to fell apart
You're not the first to be acquainted with sorrow, grief or pain
But the master promised sunshine after rain

Hold on my child joy comes in the morning
Weeping only last for the night
Hold on my child Joy comes in the morning
The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight

To invest your seeds of trust in God in mountains you can't move
You have risked your life on things you cannot prove
But to give the things you cannot keep for what you cannot lose
Now, that's the way to find the joy God has for you

Hold on my child joy comes in the morning
Weeping only last for the night
Hold on my child Joy comes in the morning
The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight
Yes, The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight It's just in sight

You dont  understand how prophetic this message has been! @Neighbor

• Praise God! 1

Posted (edited)

I went out for a walk before I read this message and was praying about a current trial I'm going through. I clearly heard God say 'Everything is going to be fine. Hold on'. Then I asked Him to give me confirmation that this message really was from Him, and lo and behold, I get your message!

Edited by Thewhitedove
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

Heman was a worship leader under king David and also a seer. We don't read a lot about him in the bible, but a few things we know.

He struggled with depression and was in a place similar to Job where his friends all left him. The bible isn't specific about what the exact issues were. We only know he struggled with being down. Some things in life were not going well for him. Heman wrote Psalm 88 which could be seen as a depressing Psalm, but it also shows that He knew God was still holding him. He still praised God in those cicumstances.

1 Lord, you are the God who saves me;
    day and night I cry out to you.
2 May my prayer come before you;
    turn your ear to my cry.

3 I am overwhelmed with troubles
    and my life draws near to death.
4 I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
    I am like one without strength.
5 I am set apart with the dead,
    like the slain who lie in the grave,
whom you remember no more,
    who are cut off from your care.

6 You have put me in the lowest pit,
    in the darkest depths.
7 Your wrath lies heavily on me;
    you have overwhelmed me with all your waves.[d]
8 You have taken from me my closest friends
    and have made me repulsive to them.
I am confined and cannot escape;
9     my eyes are dim with grief.

I call to you, Lord, every day;
    I spread out my hands to you.
10 Do you show your wonders to the dead?
    Do their spirits rise up and praise you?
11 Is your love declared in the grave,
    your faithfulness in Destruction[e]?
12 Are your wonders known in the place of darkness,
    or your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?

13 But I cry to you for help, Lord;
    in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 Why, Lord, do you reject me
    and hide your face from me?

15 From my youth I have suffered and been close to death;
    I have borne your terrors and am in despair.
16 Your wrath has swept over me;
    your terrors have destroyed me.
17 All day long they surround me like a flood;
    they have completely engulfed me.
18 You have taken from me friend and neighbor—
    darkness is my closest friend.

• Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

As with my testimony posted here on the Worthy Forum, you will see that question addressed in detail by many.

I am sure many here have gone through dark periods; mine was decades long. It would be too long to reiterate, but here is a thumbnail.

Proverbs 3:5-6 is inscribed on my grandparent's gravestone. Those two verses and the following one have given me comfort and hope I would otherwise not have.

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: (Philippians 1:6)

I will cite one of several bleak and confusing periods of my life. My brother called my sister, informing her he was going to commit suicide, and left a few instructions. He did not call me as he did years before, and I talked him out. My only brother, Bob, then lay in his bed, took his 40-caliber handgun, and shot himself in his heart.

I was devastated, grieved, hurt, angry, and confused; I had never experienced every emotion all at once. It still hurts to this day, but soon after his death and attending his funeral, these verses flashed into my mind:

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:6)

Admittedly, it took me time to digest those verses, let them sink in, and meditate on them. There is so much pain (physical, mental, and spiritual) that I do not fully understand and comprehend. Faith, hope, and God's promise truly comforted and encouraged me. Without that, what do I have? What do I have to look forward to?

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:4)

• Thanks 2

• Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/3/2024 at 7:42 AM, Thewhitedove said:

You dont  understand how prophetic this message has been! @Neighbor

Hi, Thanks for sharing  of that. I  am struck that - God does use the foolish things....

Our strength to endure is found in Him and not so much in  ourselves. My own tale is that during the low of my own life, when turmoil upon turmoil had hit, I  was led to read within the Bible. There were 145 of them in the hotel rooms I was remodeling at the time. I was led through some tv preacher foolishness to part the Bible, point a finger on a page, and read for my solution to problems.

Thinking that to be very stupid a thing to rely upon. I  opened that Gideon Bible. It parted at the Book of Job between chapters 11 and 12, not on any magic verse at all. So I read 11 and 12 then read all of Job. 

Seemed like real life to me. And, very soon after I was led to understanding and seeing that  God is real. He is aware and He has me covered, by the shed blood of our Lord. That no matter what the turmoil I can withstand it all may not be fun times for sure, but victory is the eternal gain found in seeing Jesus is my  Lord. Plus what I may go through today is part of being a witness of the gospel of my Lord. In him is my own strength to withstand  till my soul is required of me or my Lord comes again to gather us all.

I do pray for you to be enabled to withstand the harsh times, and if it is to be in the journey, to enjoy some good times even now, in this  corruptible body of flesh we each endure for a time.