• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/08/1967

Just looking for opinions and clarity...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi, Kristina.

Jeremiah 2:13“For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.”

This is figurative of course.

God is about to condemn Judah to be taken captive by Babylon for 70 years.  He chooses the very young man, Jeremiah to pronounce to them why. They won't listen.

According to this verse, they have done two things wrong

[1] They have turned their backs on God who is the fountain of living waters.  Living waters - representing the Holy Spirit in the New Testament.  Living waters = running water, fresh and clean/clear.

[2] To replace their worship of God, they made for themselves "cisterns".  A cistern is a man-made pit or hole dug to store water. It can also be made hardened with something like clay.  The water can get stagnant and even dry up.  And if the cisterns BREAK as God claimed theirs were - then there is no water.

He isn't talking about real cisterns.

God is says that Judah has turned their back on HIM, the only God who can provide, protect, and save.  And that they have turned to other gods who can do NOTHING.  Why?  Because they don't exist.  They are just broken and empty imaginations.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,469
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

2 hours ago, Kristina said:

@Kristina Among other things, it prepares the way thematically for the passage in John's Gospel about the water of life..............

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Good morning @Kristina

As always, @Jayne gives an excellent Biblical response. I, too, always have Biblical questions and am searching for answers. May I offer a study suggestion? I suggest two tools I frequently use to get a better exegesis. One cannot go wrong letting the Bible explain itself. The first tool I use is “The New Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge.”

As an example, Jeremiah 17:13 and John 4:14 clarify Who the Fountain of Living Water is:

13. For my. ver. 31, 32. Je 4:22. 5:26, 31. Ps 81:11-13. Is 1:3. 5:13. 63:8. Mi 2:8. 6:3. forsaken me. ver. 17, 19. Je 1:16. 15:6. Jg 10:13. 1 S 12:10. Jn 18:40. the fountain. Je 17:13. 18:14. Ps *36:9. Is 55:1, 2. Jn *4:14. 7:37-39. Re 21:6. 22:1, 17. waters. ƒ22K4. Anthropomorphism B896. Certain elements are used as emblems of God: God is spoken of as water, as is the Holy Spirit. For other instances of this figure see Je 17:13. Ps 36:8, 9. Is 44:3. 55:1. Ezk 36:25. Jl 2:28, 29. Zc 12:10. 14:8. Jn 4:10, 14. 7:38. Ac 2:17, 18, 33. Ti 3:5, 6. broken cisterns. ver. 11, 26, 27. Ps 115:4-8. 146:3, 4. Ec 1:2, 14. 2:11, 21, 26. 4:4. 12:8. Is 44:9-12. 46:6, 7. 55:2. 2 P 2:17.[1]

To better understand what is written, to whom, and why, we need to know the audience's beliefs, civilization, thoughts, customs, traditions, and what they read and practiced. Archeology, historians, artifacts, and recorded testimony go a long way to getting into their thinking for our Western minds to comprehend. For this, a good Illustrated Bible Background Commentary is indispensable.

Broken cisterns (2:13). Cisterns in ancient agricultural society were dug for at least two reasons: to store grain and food, and to store rainwater. Stored rainwater was used especially during the dry season (approximately May through September). Cisterns were dug in natural rock, or the ancient Israelites at times took advantage of natural cave formations to turn them into cisterns. In many cases cisterns had to be lined with plaster to be waterproof. But in certain areas the bedrock is impermeable so that waterproofing the cistern with lime plaster was unnecessary. Cisterns could suffer cracks in the lining; therefore, water would seep out and a precious source of life was lost. Jeremiah uses the cisterns here as a metaphor to explain how Israel has abandoned Yahweh, the source of all life, and has substituted him with other gods—that is, cracked cisterns that cannot hold water.[2]

CISTERN.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Kristina said:

Usually the analogy of broken cisterns or dry wells it usually in refers to false gods/idols, false prophets, false teachers.   This is exactly what going on in Jeremiah's day, not only had they rejected God (living waters) and his ways but went about setting up their on religious system to include false teachers, false prophets and false gods/idols.

And I will utter my judgments against them touching all their wickedness, who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, and worshipped the works of their own hands. [Jer 1:16]

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,332
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Jayne said:

Jeremiah 2:13“For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,

“For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,

It is my opinion this first part of the verse (forsaken Me) means they no longer are following God.

The fountain of living waters is eternal life in God.

Forsake God is to turn away from God quit following Him.

and hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.”

this last part, hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns means by forsaking Gods  teaching (turning away from) they no longer are worthy to hold the teaching of God within themselves.

In new testament the human body is referred to as the temple of God, here in this verse the body is referred to as a cistern.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,469
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

On 4/7/2024 at 9:40 AM, NConly said:

“For My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,

It is my opinion this first part of the verse (forsaken Me) means they no longer are following God.

The fountain of living waters is eternal life in God.

Forsake God is to turn away from God quit following Him.

and hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.”

this last part, hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns means by forsaking Gods  teaching (turning away from) they no longer are worthy to hold the teaching of God within themselves.

In new testament the human body is referred to as the temple of God, here in this verse the body is referred to as a cistern.

@NConly A solemn warning there not to neglect the prayerful reading and study of the Scriptures. Ties in with the themes of water and thirst in John 4, John 6, etc.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,859
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/6/2024 at 10:02 PM, Kristina said:

This is about them and at time who were under the Sinai Covenant and the enforcer of their Covenant who was the Lord God who was also the punisher of the violators. And his moto was codified in the Sinai Covenant an eye against an eye and so on...and on. 

Nothing to do with the rest of the world at that time because God was not their God. And nothing to do with the Jews today and since 2000 years because we are in the New Covenant, the whole world including the Jews is under the authority of the New Covenant. They will all stand before the judgement seat of the Glorious Jesus Christ even everyone who Crusified him they will see Him in his Glory.   Jesus ratified the New Covenant with his blood when he died on the Cross and was punished for our sins. And his moto is love and turn the other chic. And it is against the principle of his justice that two different people to be punished for the same offense. And Jesus was ahead of everyone and he the inosent was punished for our sins and he knows that and his hands are tight he can only bless his children and he never punishes anyone not even the  unbeliever for his sins, as he is waiting for him to believe so he can forgive his sins. Which it is according to his  proclamation that God made him the propretiation for the sins of the whole world, to anyone who believes in him at that time when anyone believes in him. This is why he sent his disciples to preach forgiveness of sins in his name. In his blood. In the New testament which was ratified with his blood at the time of his death on the Cross.  

Edited by Your closest friendnt