Lesbian colleague pregnant!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

Colleague is lovely, a really kind and supportive person who has actually been so helpful and caring towards me during a recent trial. I heard from someone that is pregnant. She is in a same sex relationship so I'm pretty sure there was some kind of insemination and there's no father on the scene. 

Sigh. How will I handle this? Gosh she is just so nice and has helped me so much but I'm absolutely dreading her telling me! Because what on earth can I say? Is there any way that I can honour God and still not be horrible about this?! 

• Praying! 2

That's what I was feeling Ladypeartree!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.72

From all that you know of Jesus, the real one as recorded in the Bible not the mythological one that the Church gravitates toward today, how would Jesus handle it?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

Colleague is lovely, a really kind and supportive person who has actually been so helpful and caring towards me during a recent trial. I heard from someone that is pregnant. She is in a same sex relationship so I'm pretty sure there was some kind of insemination and there's no father on the scene. 

Sigh. How will I handle this? Gosh she is just so nice and has helped me so much but I'm absolutely dreading her telling me! Because what on earth can I say? Is there any way that I can honour God and still not be horrible about this?! 

You've asked and I will give my answer.

Your reaction seems odd to me.  You know for a fact that she is gay and yet you look deeper than that to find her a "kind, lovely, supportive, helpful, nice, and caring colleague".

Her being gay does not disturb you, yet her being pregnant does.  That's odd to me.

What can you tell her?  Get an abortion?  No!!

How about congratulations?    You've already embraced her as someone you consider a welcomed colleague.

I would tell her: [AND NOT NECESSARILY IN THE SAME CONVERSATION]

[1] "Thank you for always being there for me as a colleague.  Your support has meant a lot.  I hope you consider ME a help."

[2] "Congratulations on the baby!"

[3]  "We are work friends and I'm praying for the health of your baby.  I just want you to know that as a Christian, I do struggle with gay marriage and your having a baby with your partner.  I have to believe what God has said.  AND I also pray that my beliefs don't push a wedge in our work relationship. I just wanted you to know where I am in my beliefs and that you are important to me here at work.  I am praying for you and the baby."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,148
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

I would just congratulate her and pray for her. 

Edited by RdJ

I'm overthrowing it. I feel like everything is some kind of test from God these days! I'm just going to be kind and normal. I don't judge her and actually get on with her really well. I got it into my head that God wanted me to take some kind of stand and I really didn't want to!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.72

No one seems at all concerned that she is practicing an abomination with her life and that puts her on a road leading directly to hell.

One of the reason the Church today has no power.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, FJK said:

No one seems at all concerned that she is practicing an abomination with her life and that puts her on a road leading directly to hell.

One of the reason the Church today has no power.

I was.....and I told her how to say it.

10 hours ago, Jayne said:

You've asked and I will give my answer.

Your reaction seems odd to me.  You know for a fact that she is gay and yet you look deeper than that to find her a "kind, lovely, supportive, helpful, nice, and caring colleague".

Her being gay does not disturb you, yet her being pregnant does.  That's odd to me.

What can you tell her?  Get an abortion?  No!!

How about congratulations?    You've already embraced her as someone you consider a welcomed colleague.

I would tell her: [AND NOT NECESSARILY IN THE SAME CONVERSATION]

[1] "Thank you for always being there for me as a colleague.  Your support has meant a lot.  I hope you consider ME a help."

[2] "Congratulations on the baby!"

[3]  "We are work friends and I'm praying for the health of your baby.  I just want you to know that as a Christian, I do struggle with gay marriage and your having a baby with your partner.  I have to believe what God has said.  AND I also pray that my beliefs don't push a wedge in our work relationship. I just wanted you to know where I am in my beliefs and that you are important to me here at work.  I am praying for you and the baby."

Sorry Jayne, it was late when I got back. 

So my colleague is gay and obviously I can't do anything about that, any more than my straight friends living with their boyfriends etc. I just don't mention her partner when we chat. I know they got 'married' but she didn't mention it to me which saved me the awkwardness of having to say anything. I just don't know how to approach it for that first moment when she tells me. I agree that every new life is a miracle and every baby is precious but I don't agree with the ideology of deliberately bringing a baby into a family with no father. I will of course care for my colleague and will celebrate the baby when he or she arrives, but there will be a moment of awkwardness when she tells me. I just want to honour God and also be sensitive to my colleague.

I think your responses are absolutely perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1