Keith

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I really want this thread to take off because television has become the most popular appliance in people's homes.

I have to disagree with this part. Computers are. I think there are far more dangers with computers than there are with TV shows.

You can't take your TV to work with you yet people post on Worthy from home and work. This is just my opinion but unless you're on your break or you own the company, isn't that stealing company time.....regardless of it being a Christian forum? When I say "you", I mean people in general.

I don't watch very much TV so I doubt it would be very hard for me to go without but it wouldn't go over well with the kids. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I really want this thread to take off because television has become the most popular appliance in people's homes.

I have to disagree with this part. Computers are. I think there are far more dangers with computers than there are with TV shows.

You can't take your TV to work with you yet people post on Worthy from home and work. This is just my opinion but unless you're on your break or you own the company, isn't that stealing company time.....regardless of it being a Christian forum? When I say "you", I mean people in general.

I don't watch very much TV so I doubt it would be very hard for me to go without but it wouldn't go over well with the kids. :thumbsup:

Ok, I can concede to the computer being right up there with the TV, but (and no offense, sis) it's a minor point to this thread and, as I asked originally, I'd like to stay focused on the topic. I don't want to get on the topic of being on the computer at work. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear that you don't watch much TV. You're probably a working mom, right? So you don't have much time to watch anyway! And I know kids enjoy TV time bigtime! How much time do they spend watching it? What kind of shows? What about the commercials? How have these shows and commercials (and amount of time spent watching tv) affected their personalities and conversations? What shows do you find yourself watching? Same questions I would ask of you that I asked in the above thread with Leonard. (None of which I would ask you to print your answers here. These are rhetorical questions meant to get people to think about this subject honestly to consider their viewing habits and the effect it has on their Christian lives.)

Do we sit in front of the TV when we should be doing other things? Is it an easy distraction and excuse for us not to do other things? Have we spent time in the Word today? In prayer? What's the ratio of time spent watching tv compared to our time in the Word and prayer?

Again, I'm not personally trying to condemn anyone for watching TV. I just want to bring up some questions so people can be more conscious of their viewing habits, the reasons behind them, and to examine their hearts, minds and lives to see if they are making the best choices for their spiritual lives (which are not seperate from our "regular" lives).

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I just wanted to get back to this. I just wanted to say that I made it through last night without the tube. I did not get to read as I had planned, but events took a turn into some family time, that turned out to be very interesting. I do ask you to pray for me, Keith. I am tired of wasting any precious time that He has given. Frankly, I'm too old to waste any more time. My prayer is to draw nigh unto Him. I want to thank you again for being faithful to do as the Lord would have you. I pray right now for all those who have been drawn into this area, in Jesus precious name, amen. .......jmh137

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I just wanted to get back to this. I just wanted to say that I made it through last night without the tube. I did not get to read as I had planned, but events took a turn into some family time, that turned out to be very interesting. I do ask you to pray for me, Keith. I am tired of wasting any precious time that He has given. Frankly, I'm too old to waste any more time. My prayer is to draw nigh unto Him. I want to thank you again for being faithful to do as the Lord would have you. I pray right now for all those who have been drawn into this area, in Jesus precious name, amen. .......jmh137

You got it jmh137! Great job! And you know what? I know what you mean by the sentence I put in bold above because I feel the same way. It's not meaning old as in old age, but old as in "I've been doing my own thing for so long and it's getting old because I know it's not working. Our time is so short and I want to have some kind of impact with my walk and not just end up sliding by in the end." Am I right?! :thumbsup:

Count on those prayers, sis! Great job last night! There's nothing wrong with more family time at all! :thumbsup: I hope I get a list of people to pray for that's so long that I only get an hour's sleep at night because I'm up praying individually for everyone, their walk with the Lord and their families! What a blessing that would be!!!!

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  473

Since I mentioned computers, I'll just :thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Since this is the avenue that God has use to address this problem of how T.V. can lead us away from the time that needs to be devoted to spiritual nuturing and growth, I am very grateful for the computer and this gathering of brothers and sisters to united in a like cause. Discernment is something I have longed for over the years, but fell far short of. I'm not on the computer enough to matter and I haven't even been involved for a long time at WB. You are right on about the problems that computers can cause, yet it was God's will in my life to run across this thread. T.V. has been something He has been speaking to me about for a very long time. My sin is laziness. I just wanted to reply to PWRINTHEBLD so you wouldn't think, that your point had been avoided. I pray I can rise to this occasion and not fail as I have so many time before. .......jmh137

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  499
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

I do watch TV, but not on a regular basis. There are some days I don't watch it at all and I don't miss it. I also rent DVDs. There are some very good movies out there. But I can do without them too.

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Hi Keith,

Here in New Zealand we have four T.V channels and 'sky television' , for anyone that is willing to fork out for a sky dish etc and pay a monthly fee. T.V isn't an issue in my home. Mainly because we only get three channels. We have a small selection of programmes that I watch with my teens.

Some of the content in the USA and British films we get are misleading. It does no justice to the people who live in these countries. The ones who live ordinary lives are hardworking, giving or are just simple folk. For example, Police Departments have abusive or gay staff. The 17% coverage that we get are on politics, religion, obesity, drugs, poverty, racism. Television is not always a good or reliable way to stay informed. Editing and sensationalism distort the facts to get higher ratings. - We never miss Jackie Chan films.

Are you going to start a post on video games?? That would be interesting for me, as my teens can spend hours and hours on these.

:thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I live in a household where the TV is on practically all the time - not by my choice.

I'd have more success in training my cat to stop meowing in the morning before I feed her than to get certain members of my family to turn off the blasted TV.

So, even if I decided to do a TV fast, I couldn't, because there is no way to avoid it.

I am selective in what I watch, though. Not much on thrills me.

Fox News Network, a local morning news station, Myth Busters (they rock!), historical and scientific documentaries that come on when I find them, some Explorer program Sat. morning (real cool outdoor adventure stuff), Day of Discovery <<-- Check it out!, Untold Stories of the ER, and then a few sci-fi shows I watch with my brother.

If I wasn't living with my brother, I might find an easier time breaking away from the sci-fi . . . but it's something I share with him and we can have fun with together.

So, that's where I'm at.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Keith,

Thank you; it's nice to see someone taking a level-headed, non-judgemental approach to the subject. Growing up Pentecostal with an emphasis on being holy, some people went to the point of saying TV was a sin, etc.

I do watch TV and honestly I don't feel a conviction to participate in a "turn off the TV" event. I don't really do an excessive amount of TV; when I do watch TV it is mainly the older sit-coms and older detective shows ("Rockford Files," etc.). I really like DIY type of stuff. During the summer I watch a lot of baseball as well, lol!

I used to be a huge fan of "Dallas" and even managed to get re-hooked on it from re-runs, lol! The closer I've gotten to God the less I've watched it. I always fought with thoughts for a long time of "you wouldn't listen to music like that, why watch it on TV?" and I have now started putting thought into action and haven't watched the show in ages!