larryt

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Can anyone show where this doctrine of "accepting Jesus" is found in the bible? I find many places where it says that we need to repent and believe on/ have faith in Jesus. But I find nowhere that it tells us to accept Jesus. I do find that we need to seek to be accepted by Him. This we do by repenting.

LT

LarryT: The dictionary defines "receive" as "to welcome or to admit".

Here are two scriptures that, taken together, should clarify the issue for you.

Rev 1: 1-2 says, "The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave him to show his servants what soon must take place. He made it known bysending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw-that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Rev 3:19-20 says, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I (Jesus) stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,043
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

"born of water"

If this was true the way you are thinking this then everybody that is born naturally automatically has a free ticket to heaven, yet we read so many scriptures where people will go to hell because of their sins. This is a contradiction.

Not so, all born of water (natural birth) have opportunity to see the Kingdom of God, to be convicted of their sins, righteousness and judgment and repent. Only those born again of the spirit by reunion with God can enter it.

You will have to prove how it means what you stated above.

We are born again when we die in the waters of baptism and are resurected in the image of Christ as a new man.

Romans 6:3-8 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

We are a new creature created in the likeness of Christ through the waters of baptism.

This would make are salvation complete by what we do in religious ceremony and not by what Christ has alone done on the cross. Baptism is a public confession of acknowledgement of the authority of Christ and repentance from our previous direction and ambitions. It

Edited by BlindSeeker

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The most that can be said is that we need to receive Him

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,

John 1:12 NASB

Guest shiloh357
If I am understanding the OP (orignial poster) correctly they are saying that "Accepting" to be used in the sense of "accepting Jesus in your heart as your Lord and personal savior". If this is a correct assumption then he is right.

Mainstream religion has come up with this belief to get away from "repentance". Under the "accepting" teaching there is no repentance from sin because that type of teaching supports "Once saved always saved".

(snip)

Again, the teaching of "Accepting Christ" has been invented to teach people that they don't have to repent from their sins. There have been many people over the years I have taught that believe the "Accepting" doctrine and they live thier "Christian" lives with as much sin as before the ever accepted him.

You could not be more wrong. This is a value that you are subjectively assigning to those who believe in "accepting Christ." Accepting Christ means to receive Him as both Lord and Savior. Repentance is most definitely taught. It is the denoms that do NOT teach salvation by grace through faith that we find repentance ignored. I would like for you to back up your assertions with verifible, certifiable quotations from any well known preacher that says, "Forget about repentance, you don't need it, just accept Jesus." When you can provide credible corroboration, then maybe your assertions would have merit. Please stop making inordinately broad generalizations. I have never heard anyone ( at least in my denomination) teach that you don't need repentance, and I have been a Southern Baptist for 20 years or more. We have always taught that acknnowledge ment of sin and repentance is essential to not only getting saved, but is essential for a healthy, mature walk in Christ on a daily basis.

My point is that most Christians already understand that repentance is needed, and instead of insulting their intelligence, I give them enough credit to know that.

You know, I understand what you are saying -

But at the same time . . .

Do people really understand the need for repentance?

I mean, it's included in "the sinner's prayer" to pray, "Lord, forgive me of my sins."

But is that truly repentance?

I mean, does the person understand what they are saying, or just repeating verbage?

To repent, you need to "turn from," correct?

But without confessing specific "turn froms", how many are really turning?

You know what I mean?

How can I know a person's heart? Do they understand repentance? That is beyond my ability to know, at least at the moment they are saved. Such an understanding will borne out as they continue in their Christian walk. That underscores the need for discipleship. Discipleship is one of the most undervalued areas of ministry, it seems, in the Church today. We do not give birth to babies and then leave them to feed themselves, and likewise we need to nurture new believers in a meaningful way in order to help them grow.

I believe there are many young believers who may have been sincere in their repentance, but because of a lack of discipleship, had nothing to anchor to. We cannot take for granted that they are just going to pick up the fundamentals in their daily Biblestudy or Church attendance. Every new Christians needs that face to face accountability. They need to be reminded of their commitment to Christ, and the old ways they repented of. They need to be fed and grounded in the Scriptures, encouraged, built up and lifted up in prayer. This is why having regular fellowship in a local body of believers is so absolutely vital.

Repentance is not a single, gut wrenching experience we had years ago when we first got saved. It is/should be a daily attitude that we have when faced when those things in our lives that do look like Jesus. None of us live up to that 100%, but such should be the ideal that we strive for.

I really believe that fault ultimately lies with the Church in that we have dropped the ball where discipleship is concerned. This is not directed at you, Nebula, but I am really sick of people with their self-righteous perfectionism, looking down their snoot, at the so-called "unrepentant" Christians, when we as the Church, have not done our part to give believers who are young in the Lord, the encouragement and discipleship they need to grow in the Lord and have something of substance to anchor to. We will be, I am afraid, be held severely accountable by the Lord for our lack of willingness to train and encourage young believers.

Churches need to invest more time and energy in equipping the saints with the tools they need to make disciples for Christ. That is part of our commission from the Lord. We are to make disciples; not for ourselves (that is how cults start) but making disciples for Christ. We need make disciples who in turn will make disciples, who in turn will make disciples. That is the plan that Christ has set before us.

Edited by shiloh357

• Topic Count:  366
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Churches need to invest more time and energy in equipping the saints with the tools they need to make disciples for Christ. That is part of our commission from the Lord. We are to make disciples; not for ourselves (that is how cults start) but making disciples for Christ. We need make disciples who in turn will make disciples, who in turn will make disciples. That is the plan that Christ has set before us.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:emot-hug:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

If I am understanding the OP (orignial poster) correctly they are saying that "Accepting" to be used in the sense of "accepting Jesus in your heart as your Lord and personal savior". If this is a correct assumption then he is right.

Mainstream religion has come up with this belief to get away from "repentance". Under the "accepting" teaching there is no repentance from sin because that type of teaching supports "Once saved always saved".

(snip)

Again, the teaching of "Accepting Christ" has been invented to teach people that they don't have to repent from their sins. There have been many people over the years I have taught that believe the "Accepting" doctrine and they live thier "Christian" lives with as much sin as before the ever accepted him.

You could not be more wrong. This is a value that you are subjectively assigning to those who believe in "accepting Christ." Accepting Christ means to receive Him as both Lord and Savior. Repentance is most definitely taught. It is the denoms that do NOT teach salvation by grace through faith that we find repentance ignored. I would like for you to back up your assertions with verifible, certifiable quotations from any well known preacher that says, "Forget about repentance, you don't need it, just accept Jesus." When you can provide credible corroboration, then maybe your assertions would have merit. Please stop making inordinately broad generalizations. I have never heard anyone ( at least in my denomination) teach that you don't need repentance, and I have been a Southern Baptist for 20 years or more. We have always taught that acknnowledge ment of sin and repentance is essential to not only getting saved, but is essential for a healthy, mature walk in Christ on a daily basis.

My point is that most Christians already understand that repentance is needed, and instead of insulting their intelligence, I give them enough credit to know that.

You know, I understand what you are saying -

But at the same time . . .

Do people really understand the need for repentance?

I mean, it's included in "the sinner's prayer" to pray, "Lord, forgive me of my sins."

But is that truly repentance?

I mean, does the person understand what they are saying, or just repeating verbage?

To repent, you need to "turn from," correct?

But without confessing specific "turn froms", how many are really turning?

You know what I mean?

How can I know a person's heart? Do they understand repentance? That is beyond my ability to know, at least at the moment they are saved. Such an understanding will borne out as they continue in their Christian walk. That underscores the need for discipleship. Discipleship is one of the most undervalued areas of ministry, it seems, in the Church today. We do not give birth to babies and then leave them to feed themselves, and likewise we need to nurture new believers in a meaningful way in order to help them grow.

I believe there are many young believers who may have been sincere in their repentance, but because of a lack of discipleship, had nothing to anchor to. We cannot take for granted that they are just going to pick up the fundamentals in their daily Biblestudy or Church attendance. Every new Christians needs that face to face accountability. They need to be reminded of their commitment to Christ, and the old ways they repented of. They need to be fed and grounded in the Scriptures, encouraged, built up and lifted up in prayer. This is why having regular fellowship in a local body of believers is so absolutely vital.

Repentance is not a single, gut wrenching experience we had years ago when we first got saved. It is/should be a daily attitude that we have when faced when those things in our lives that do look like Jesus. None of us live up to that 100%, but such should be the ideal that we strive for.

I really believe that fault ultimately lies with the Church in that we have dropped the ball where discipleship is concerned. This is not directed at you, Nebula, but I am really sick of people with their self-righteous perfectionism, looking down their snoot, at the so-called "unrepentant" Christians, when we as the Church, have not done our part to give believers who are young in the Lord, the encouragement and discipleship they need to grow in the Lord and have something of substance to anchor to. We will be, I am afraid, be held severely accountable by the Lord for our lack of willingness to train and encourage young believers.

Amen to this entire post Brother! Amen! Amen! :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Can anyone show where this doctrine of "accepting Jesus" is found in the bible? I find many places where it says that we need to repent and believe on/ have faith in Jesus. But I find nowhere that it tells us to accept Jesus. I do find that we need to seek to be accepted by Him. This we do by repenting.

LT

I guess we can always count on you to split hairs over something silly like this.

To "accept" Jesus is synonomous to putting faith in him. The word "accept" means, "to regard as true," "to believe in," "to admit into," "to receive." When we "accept" Jesus, we are affirming that we believe, or receive as true, what the Bible says about Him. Every commandment to believe upon the Lord Jesus, is a commandment to assent to, or to accept the truth proclaimed in the gospel.

You are trying to make an issue out of a non-issue. "Accepting Jesus" is simply modern vernacular and does no violence to the Christian faith.

It is no splitting hairs, but a valid point.Too often I hear 'just accept Jesus and invite Him into your heart' instead of 'repent and believe'.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

My point exactly. "Accepting Jesus in my heart as Lord and personal savior" doctrine takes away from repentance because it teaches people "once saved always saved" along with it.

I agree with OP that we don't accept Christ he accepts us when choose to do his will which is to repent as the scriptures teach.

Remember, everything that we believe must be scriptural. If it isn't in the bible I can't teach it, but if it is in the bible then I am commanded to follow it. I can't ignore scriptures nor implement my own thoughts as doctrine. In Revelations 20 we find that we will be judged by the bible and if I'm not following it then I will be condemned by it.

"Accepting Jesus in my heart as Lord and personal savior" - This is not scriptural.\

"once saved always saved" - Neither is this.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

**This is scriptural and what we will be judged by on judgment day.

We should try to keep the OSAS debate in the appropriate thread(s). The subject has a tendency to draw conversations WAY off course. In any case, I don;t see any inherent danger to saying that the Lord is your personal Lord and personal Savior. After all, is He, or is He not either? The Lord is my Lord - my personal Lord: He is Lord over my person, my life, my livlihood, my every action, and my environment. The Lord is my Savior - my personal Savior: He saved me, individually, and placed me in teh corporate Body of Christ. Not only that, He is saving me. He saves me a little more every day by His life. The more I turn to Him the more He saves me.

I agree that such phrases can be really doctrinal. They can be dry and dead by virtue of their over-use. But there is a very real and purposful meaning behind them, so it's not right to simply disregard them. So what if someone says that the Lord is their "Personal Lord and Savior"? Is He yours? Yes? Good! Then leave your brothers and sisters alone, for goodness' sake.

I say that for the sake of everyone, by the way, not just you, bro. Christians can get so petty and self-righteous sometimes. I think we all need to learn to leave one another alone, and quit being so nitpicky about things that don't really matter.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I'm amazed at the responses that have been posted regarding Larry T's simple question.

It underscores a point my pastor once made about Christians bringing confusion into discussions by taking off on "Tangent Airlines."

Larry wanted some Scripture references for the doctrinal term "receiving Jesus". He made the mistake of saying that he knew of the doctrine of repentence, but where does Scripture talk of receiving Jesus? And with that, a bunch of people raced to the Doctrinal Questions airport and jumped on the earliest Tangent flight.

When will we realize the damage that can be done when discussions go off course, as this one did? Why can't we keep it simple?

SLE

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,043
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

"BlindSeeker"

I have provided scriptures backing up everything I have mentioned. Could you please provide me scriptures supporting that baptism is just a symbol?

Baptism is essential to salvation and without it we can't be saved:

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure <antitupos> whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

You cannot refute these scriptures nor wrestle them to say anything else than what they are saying that baptism is for the washing away of our sins. These have to be take as they are written.

We are born again through the waters of baptism.

Greek <antitupos> - neuter of a compound of 473 and 5179; corresponding ("antitype"), i.e. a representative, counterpart:--(like) figure (whereunto).

473. anti anti, an-tee' - a primary particle; opposite, i.e. instead or because of (rarely in addition to):--for, in the room of. Often used in composition to denote contrast, requital, substitution, correspondence, etc.

5179. tupov tupos, too'-pos - a die (as struck), i.e. (by implication) a stamp or scar; by analogy, a shape, i.e. a statue, (figuratively) style or resemblance; specially, a sampler ("type"), i.e. a model (for imitation) or instance (for warning):--en-(ex-)ample, fashion, figure, form, manner, pattern, print.

An analogy or resemblance in contrast to the actual. Just like Eph 5:26 "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word."

God's word is not water. But like water, it can clean us . . . not by washing away the exterior filth on our bodies, but by our obedience to confess and obey Him.