• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Blood,

The 1611 was the first completed translation as commissioned by King James. There were other Bibles before the 1611 KJV. The 1611 has undergone 5 revisions since 1611 the last in 1769. Anyone who believes that the 1611 was God's perfect Bible needs to actually go see and read a 1611. It is almost impossible to read...it has the Apocrypha and the catholic prayers for the dead...and has footnotes from the 1611 translators noting where the KJV text is not well supported by the Greek. The translators themselves state that their goal was to produce a modern translation that could be read and understood by the people of the 1600s. This is the same goal behind all the new translations. Most KJV-onlyist do not want to discuss all the problems with KJV and its many revisions. But they delight in mocking all the translations since 1611. Again, of focus must be on the Greek manuscripts that are the basis of all translations...including the beloved KJV.

- Steve

PS Martyr, you are right the NASB is the most accurate translation from the Greek. It reads like a Greek interlinear Bible. It is as close to a word for word as you will get....even more true to the Greek than the KJV. But it is also sometimes choppy and difficult to just sit and read for pleasure. The ESV is accurate but IMHO much more readible and enjoyable.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

thanks guys for your alls input on this subject matter.may the LORD bless you all. :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

Dr. Steve, I just wanted to stir the pot a little bit. I have never seen an ESV, but it sounds like a version to check out in the near future. Keep posting the wonderful insights, brother.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Martyr,

Its nice to be appreciated by a veteran member!!! Have your seen any of those gorgeous calf-skin leather NASB from leatherbibles.com. They are a little pricey but absolutely a work of art.

- Steve

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

Nope, I haven't seen those. My little NASB is on its last legs. When it finally wears out, I hope to be able to find a nicely bound, leather edition so that it will have a longer than five year life span.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hello All! :blink:

Its awesome to see so many knowledgeable people, and to be able to discuss so many different topics here. I enjoy reading the posts and gaining a better understanding, or a differing point of view about a matter.

After reading through the thread on some of the many differing versions of the Bible that exists, and some of the omissions that were in some of them, A question came to mind.

When the scriptures were recorded by men inspired by the Holy Spirit, They recorded as they were led. These events we read about were over a wide range and time period. For example, In the new testament recordings, those that were present during one event, did not have access to the completed recorded works that covered every group or individual that we have today in the Bible, since in some cases it happened at a later time than when they were present.

We are told of many events and what happened in each place, what was said etc. , But at the time, those present at, say the day of Pentecost, were not present when John was exiled on Patmos.

Although Im relatively sure that the events and works at each juncture were recorded, they were not brought together as a whole until a later time.

Yet, people were saved, lives were changed, and God was glorified.

Jesus tells us that He came to save, and that He did and does today. Many were saved without the knowledge of the completed works and the scriptures we have today, as is recorded in God's word.

Now to my question, What do you feel is the significance of having a complete work of the recorded , Holy Spirit inspired Word of God today, as opposed to a limited knowledge and understanding as those who lived during the events had? And since we have these, what is expected of us with this knowledge?

O.k., Its actually 2 questions, but think of it as 1 question with 2 parts. lol :cool:

God Bless!

Rick

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Rick I think that is an excellent observation and question.

Personally I think too much is made of having the completed work. Sure the word of God is important, real important. But even if we only have a partial word and respond to it, we will know the truth and the truth will set us free. The Holy Spirit of God is still right here doing His job of convicting and restoring us. Knowledge does not save us, the Holy Spirit brings us to the cross of Jesus Christ.

We need to follow the revelation of God where ever it might be. Let us say hypotheticly that we have no bible to read. God would still find a way to get the truth to us. He is able.

I say read as many translations as you can and let the Holy Spirit do His job. He is an excellent teacher.

Just my 2 cents.....

God bless,

Denny

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Blood,

The 1611 was the first completed translation as commissioned by King James. There were other Bibles before the 1611 KJV. The 1611 has undergone 5 revisions since 1611 the last in 1769. Anyone who believes that the 1611 was God's perfect Bible needs to actually go see and read a 1611. It is almost impossible to read...it has the Apocrypha and the catholic prayers for the dead...and has footnotes from the 1611 translators noting where the KJV text is not well supported by the Greek. The translators themselves state that their goal was to produce a modern translation that could be read and understood by the people of the 1600s. This is the same goal behind all the new translations. Most KJV-onlyist do not want to discuss all the problems with KJV and its many revisions. But they delight in mocking all the translations since 1611. Again, of focus must be on the Greek manuscripts that are the basis of all translations...including the beloved KJV.

- Steve

PS Martyr, you are right the NASB is the most accurate translation from the Greek. It reads like a Greek interlinear Bible. It is as close to a word for word as you will get....even more true to the Greek than the KJV. But it is also sometimes choppy and difficult to just sit and read for pleasure. The ESV is accurate but IMHO much more readible and enjoyable.

Dr Steve, I bought a brand new, leather bound, burgandy, ESV today and I absolutely love it. It's very readable but still has the beautiful prose. Love it Love it Love it!!!

Thanks for touting it so much that it got my attention! :unsure:

*I just love it!* :unsure:

• Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

My KJV and NASB suit me very well at this point. I like the KJV because of the

writing style. I like the NASB because of the great translation. I might consider

getting an ESV and a NKJV, or a Study Bible.

PS: I like the feel of my NASB. It's vinyl, and black, and has thinline pages. It

looks very thin because of that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Hey, all. It's been awhile since my last access. Kinda busy lately.

I'll have to throw my support behind the KJV here. The RV and AS and others are based on newer found "older" manuscipts, and many verses seem to be "updated" but for all the good that might do, these newer versions seem to change or omit many other verses that are not even affected by "newly discovered" manuscipts.

The NIV was a disgrace which included such esteemed scholars as a lesbian "bishop". This lady watered down the Lord's direction and teachings toward homosexuality. Many other "lifestyle" issues seemed to get the same treatment as well (i.e., prostitution).

I would be all for a new translation that updated the KJV, if that was the result, but new translations seem to go beyond the simple updates, they reach into a realm of ridiculous apostacy in order to sell more copies.

I believe that time will tell, though. Of the many versions that have been published over the past 1,500 yrs or so, one seems to stand the test of time. Is there something to this?

I'm not so much "KJV only", as I am more "KJV inclined".

Just remember that the devil is more subtle than any other being.

In Christ,

t.