• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Not everybody can appreciate such enthralling Non-fiction classics as the History of Grass in a Cow's Digestive System.

:rolleyes:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

Not everybody can appreciate such enthralling Non-fiction classics as the History of Grass in a Cow's Digestive System.

:blink:

;) agreed.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I think the underlying reason for a lack of injury is simply because the majority of kids were sitting inside reading in a safe, controlled environment. The book obviously has no magic of its own. What an observation to make.

At any rate, I'm not sure that I follow the "Garbage-In=Garbage-Out" philosophy, and I don't think that by reading a story we are damning ourselves to the fires of Hell. I mean, with a spirit of discernment one can easily see that this just a story. Should young and impressionable minds be reading....probably not, because they may think it's actually real, or that they can do what Harry Potter does. But as a mature adult, a little leisure reading of a good story is always enjoyable. I mean, if Harry Potter is bad, wouldn't we have to say that C.S. Lewis, one of the greatest Apologeticists of the modern era, then also authored a Satanic story since has fantasical, mystical world contained witchcraft as well? I find this hard to believe. What about Tolkien's Lord of the Rings? He, too, was a Christian author, and his epci fantasy series now has Bible studies in our bookstores.

Honestly, it's only a story. Enjoy a good book. Not everybody can appreciate such enthralling Non-fiction classics as the History of Grass in a Cow's Digestive System. Get a grip. If, however, you think that by reading a purely fictitious story that the reader is being damned to Hell, then don't read it. But don't make me feel bad for enjoying a good book with great authorship and a great story line.

We Christians can be so close-minded and puritanical. Didn't Jesus tell stories (i.e. parables)? Did a master really give his three servants a number of talents to take care of while he was gone? Did the prodigal son truly exist? Or were these merely illustrations used to drive home a point? If these things didn't actually happen, and there were just illustrations, which is entirely plausible, then, according to WhySoBlind, then Jesus was indeed sinning, according to your theology.

Now, hear me, I am not for one second advocating any sort of witchcraft or magic or any other demonic activity: "Don't sacrifice your children in the fires on your altars; and don't let your people practice divination or look for omens or use spells or charms, and don't let them consult the spirits of the dead. The LORD your God hates people who do these disgusting things, and that is why he is driving those nations out of the land as you advance. Be completely faithful to the LORD." (Deu 18:10-13)

I agree that this stuff is seriously dangerous, Satanic stuff. However, if it is put into a fictitous story such as HP, Lewis' Narnia, or Tolkien's LoTR, and a person can read it as such without even entertaining the thought that they will participate in this, let alone that they are in danger of being ensnared by it...I mean, c'mon. I don't even think the stuff is real. IMO, it's all pretty hokey. For that reason, when I see it in a fake, fictitious story, then I don't feel threatened at all. Like I said, do I think young kids should be reading this stuff without some serious guidance...Not at all. But surely a mature Christian adult that is responsible enough to know the difference between good/bad, right/wrong, fake/real can read a story and accept it as just that...A STORY!!

:blink:

Weren't for one moment trying to make you feel bad cadillacactor.....just thought we were discussing whether or not we would encourage our CHILDREN to read books like Harry Potter, not mature responsible discerning Christian adults such as yourself.

;)

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10

:thumbsup:

Oh...hmmm...*inserts foot in mouth*

*takes it out*

My 9-yr old step-daughter and I read together before my wife and I tuck her in at night. We recently finished the Chronicles of Narnia and she said she wanted to start Harry Potter. I had some reservations at first, but before we began we talked about it. I explained the fictitious content contained within and discussed the danger of magic (in terms that she could understand) and we looked at some Bible passages about magic in her children's Bible. Now she understands, and as questions come up we discuss them immediately. We are vigilant of the chances of the dangers of magic, but again, with a spirit of discernment and guidance, we don't see a lot of problem with these books. Since they're not by a Christian such as Lewis or Tolkienn, I am more vigilant of the HP books, but these books have been wonderful to get her to enjoy reading, and they have a wide vocabulary, an engaging storyline, and have many good examples literary devices and the english language. However, we don't really want her reading them by herself. At least not until she's older.

Guest Jemila

What?????

I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, but it does. Pretty ridiculous, I think.

I figure, the Bible says God hates witchcraft and that witchcraft is as the sin of rebellion, so I should hate it too. No Harry Potter in this household.

Also, for me, anytime someone puts down academics and exalts sports, I have a problem with it. There should be a healthy balance. Nothing wrong with being a "bookworm", while getting anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours of time outside to play each day. there is a certain television show I have banned my kids from watching because the blunt message it teaches is sitting down, at all, to quietly read, is not ok. Malarky!

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I just registered, mostly because of this topic. It bothered me for a few reasons.

Really? Fantasy isn't demonic? Wow, sure could have fooled me!

So lets get this straight.

Let me ask you this. How thick is your child's text book? Can you "gestimate" the average words per page and then calculate how many words are in you child's science book? Or in the Bible? Now, take a LOTR book or a Harry Potter book and do the same. you will find that there are probably more words in those books(or at least in the entire series) than in the Bible. Yet a child or young teen can read them at a rate as fast as a book per day.

I would assume the bible to have many more words than even all of Harry Potter combined. While they seem bigger if you stack them together, remember that the Bible is writen on very thin sheets of paper, in very small text, and still manages to be of substantial size. But who knows anyway?

Furthermore, you assume that all children read these books quickly, which is simply not true. Reading pace varies greatly amongst people, and I see no reason to assume that all children just somehow manage to read these books quickly.

What is it about these books that grips people and keeps them reading? Why is it that you can't put them down? I remember back when I read them, that I would SKIP MEALS to read WoT or LOTR, and not go outside till I finished the entire book. Why do they grip you like that, and force you to keep reading?

Obviously because they were good. Good story, good characters, gripping narration, good character development ect. Although I found LOTR horribly boring, due to his style. I still know all about the stories, because I find the stories fascinating. But, impossible to read in actual book form.

You seem to assume that this is only possible with such fantasy books. Any *good* book is supposed to be highly enjoyable, and thus, "force" you to not put it down. Does not matter what genre it is.

Well, every page is filled with 1) Fantasy abilities and spells and creatures, 2) sexual stimulation or inuendo, often perverse, 3) blurring of the boundaries of "right" and "wrong".

Please give examples of 2 and 3 in either LOTR, or Harry Potter. Both are sometimes critisized (LOTR, far more than HP) for being to Black/White, in their ethics. Their is a definitive "Right" and "Wrong" in both, so much so it borders unrealistic.

Besides, the most "sexualy stimulation or inuendo" present in the likes of Harry Potter, is Harry's inner conflict with stupid teen crushes, which everybody goes through. Hardly bad.

For example, in LOTR, there is no real evidence that the "Fellowship" is even the "good guys". You simply are lead to assume that, but there's no real evidence. The reader has no insight into Sauron's person other than what Gandalf of Elrond or Galadriel says. For all anyone knows, Sauron may have been the one who was really good, and everyone else is decieved. After all, the three I just mentioned are all Wizards/magic users. The Bible says wizardry and use of magic is forbidden. the "Good" guys use arts the Bible forbids. So then morality is thrown out the window. They are only "good" because the author says they are good, or otherwise leads you to believe that, and not because they REALLY are "Good".

And this is downright wrong, no doubt sprung from not knowing the full story. Gandalf and Sauron are not "magic users" they are both of the Maia. Think of them as lesser angels. They are just called "Wizards" because that is what the translation of the word that Man refers to them in Westron. If you did not know, Westron is the "common language" in LOTR, and the story is supposed to be translated into English from that and the various elvish languages.

We know much about Sauron. For instance, he was a servant of Aul

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Wow. Seems we have a "LOTR Geek" on the boards (I mean that as a term of respect, mind you.)

In all the threads that we've had on this issue, I still have need seen any substantiation of the claim that HP, LOTR, or Cinderella will turn a lover of Christ away from Him.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10

I agree, it would be nice to see true substantiation to the claims that these fantasical stories lead people to wtichcraft and sorcery. So far, these are all strictly opinions (whether the opinion is a for/against argument).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

As my family and I are all avid readers Harry Potter

is a series much liked in our family. As my children

are both saved and know the difference from reading

a fictional book that speaks of the craft in battles of

good over evil (good always prevailing) and actualy

practicing witch craft I have no fear that the books

will have an adverse affect. God takes priority in their

lives.

Oops also guilty of letting kids believe in Santa and the

Easter bunny lol, I do teach them the true meaning of

the holidays and that God out ranks Santa and the Bunny!

First thing done on Christmas is a Happy Birthday celebration

to Jesus and Mass on Easter comes first to celebrate Jesus's

resurrection! But also know they are only young once and

soon enough Santa and the Bunny will be a fleeting thought

in their minds but God will always remain!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

I just registered, mostly because of this topic. It bothered me for a few reasons.

I am glad you did. I enjoyed reading your post, because it pointed out with details, what I already thought... :-)

Did that information come from the prologue of the books, or the other additional books? I skipped a lot of the appendix/prologue when I read them... and so I am guessing I missed that stuff because of that.

once again, thanks!

(and don't necessarily leave just because you got through with this topic... there's a lot of other stuff that you could respond to... :thumbsup: )

~Danette~

a fellow LOTR reader, and a fantasy/sci-fi fan.

a great allegorical series: "Legends of the Guardian-King" by Karen Hancock... a marvelous job she did, presenting the Christian life, and principles within it.... :-)