• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/13/1973

I am also a Baptist. Like someone else mentioned there are many different types of Baptists.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/10/1984

Indy, I assume, is short for Independent.

Yup.

Sorry, but less letters typed means less fingers hurting. :P

I don't get too wrapped up in denominations, myself. Some of the more conservative Baptist church's Statements of faith and stuff like that pretty much sum up how I feel about stuff.

I tend to lean more on trusting what the Bible says about Jesus rather than some of what more "progressive" and modern churches say about him...in general, that is.

Baptist is just the name of the denomination which I associate my beliefs with, that's all.

Not so much the Southern Baptist stuff, but more along the lines of the Independent movement that broke off with them back in the 50's -80's.

The SBC had kinda moved away from fundamentalism back then and some of their people decided to get back to their roots and broke off. Today, the SBC is pretty split down the middle between conservative and more liberal groups, much like the Methodists are.

Check out some of the junk in the Lifeway Bookstores sometime. The SBC owns that chain. :wub:

And still do, as far as I know.

In short, that's why there was a resurgence in Independent Baptist Churches over the past 30-50 years, or so. Each church is self governing and has no higher authority other than Jesus. There are no "higher-ups" to tell them what to preach or tell them which new organization to align themselves with. In fact, most of the IndyBap churches shy away from any alliances with other groups like the World Baptist Alliance or groups like that.

Why? Because most of these groups will turn more liberal to gain members. So, we kinda just stick to ourselves. That way, we can handle problems locally, within our own membership.

To tell you the truth, I'm probably more in line with the Amish or Mennonite groups, but I just can't bring myself to live like a hermit just yet. :whistling:

t.

I have to say I wasn't aware southern baptists were split down the middle, so I just want to say I'm on the conservative side. I wasn't aware the SBC allowed women to preach either, which another poster mentioned. The Baptist churches I've attended are very informal (just happy to see you there), and sing all the old hymms with a piano player. Just good old fashioned worship, I guess you'd say. Missionary work is very important though.

I honestly don't worry about denominations though. I started off in a Baptist church because they had the doctrine that made complete sense to me, however, I don't believe Baptist's, or any other denomination, have the market cornered on God or salvation. :rofl: After all, God was the one who loved us enough to send His Son, and without the Holy Spirit revealing that knowledge to each of us, we'd all still be lost. Now, we're His children!!

:thumbsup: Amish or Mennonite! :wub: Being a hermit I could handle, no electricity though--yikes. I really like a hot bath at my fingertips. Not to mention, no computers.

hehe so I fall into the Brethren in Christ demoninational category.... which to my best recollections, no one in chat has heard of, but it has Mennoniteish type roots.... doesn't mean I'm Mennonite, just means I think that's where we came from.

At any rate, I hope you do really well on the paper, it sounds like an interesting topic, wish I could do one on it.... but instead I get to dissect causes of the American Revolution..... :wub: (*thinks it might be more fun if she were actually American....*)

Laura

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I went to a Bretheren in Christ founded Christian liberal arts college in Pennsylvania.

Not a bad denomination.

Causes of the American Revolution?

Think fronteir life making men a bit more wild than their British roots, add some intellectualism and pholosophers to the equations, and round it off with people being sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens by the monarchy overseas . . . and voila!

(OK, it's more complex than that, but that's kind-of the idea.)

I went to a Bretheren in Christ founded Christian liberal arts college in Pennsylvania.

Not a bad denomination.

Think fronteir life making men a bit more wild than their British roots, add some intellectualism and pholosophers to the equations, and round it off with people being sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens by the monarchy overseas . . . and voila!

Messiah Bible College??

Laura

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Not a bad denomination.

The girl has a way with words! :emot-crying:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  961
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

You left off the largest Christian denomination in world......... :emot-crying:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Messiah Bible College??

Well, it's not a bible college anymore.

So, it's just Messiah College.

But good guess/research/whatever it was!

Messiah Bible College??

Well, it's not a bible college anymore.

So, it's just Messiah College.

But good guess/research/whatever it was!

It was definitely a guess :emot-crying: a friend of mine went there a few years ago so I just took a stab in the dark

Laura

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I just assumed that the poll was what I believed the most closely with presently. Now I am more likely to agree with a pentacostal statement of faith, even though I still hold membership with a methodist church. I didn't know if that would factor in with your paper.