IGNORED

What did Jesus Teach about Tithing to Christians ?

angels4u

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Always give what I can. Be it pocket change or the last few dollars we have at the end of a pay period. It is never much, but what we have.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

God deserves the first tenth off the top. Jesus, speaking to the lawkeepers said it was good. It's good for us, too, and comes with distinct promises.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

God deserves the first tenth off the top. Jesus, speaking to the lawkeepers said it was good. It's good for us, too, and comes with distinct promises.

Why a tenth? We aren't giving to the temple upkeep. And if we were under the old system, we'd be paying much much more than 10%. Truth is we no longer tithe at all. We offer free will offerings. I don't tithe.

A question in general then. When the third temple is rebuilt, how will it's upkeep be financed?

Why a tenth? We aren't giving to the temple upkeep. And if we were under the old system, we'd be paying much much more than 10%. Truth is we no longer tithe at all. We offer free will offerings. I don't tithe.

A question in general then. When the third temple is rebuilt, how will it's upkeep be financed?

It's a great starting point and all that God requires, despite the fact that He owns it all in the first place.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

It's a great starting point and all that God requires, despite the fact that He owns it all in the first place.

Well I know some wonderful men and women of God who believe that God has asked them to give 30%. Why put an upper limit on God? "All that He requires" is for us to listen and be obedient, this 10% rule is rather restrictive.

Well I know some wonderful men and women of God who believe that God has asked them to give 30%. Why put an upper limit on God? "All that He requires" is for us to listen and be obedient, this 10% rule is rather restrictive.

No one should ever put a limit on God. I know of Christians who 'tithe' 90 percent. God's basic starting point is 10 percent. He is merciful and gracious, allowing us the use of 90 percent!

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I agree. And I have heard many sermons on why we should give 10% and it is our 'obligation' to give 10% and we are stealing from God if we do not

give 10% and even God will punish us if we do not give 10%. This is very convenient for the church coffers of course...and the salaried pastor etc

The story of Ananias and Sapphira reveal that we are not under obligation. (Acts 5)

1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

Ananias and his wife agreed together to state they were giving every cent they received fromt he sale of the property. Peter says to him "Didn't the land belong to

you before you sold it and after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal?"

Peter never states you could have given just 10% and all would be hunky dory...no...he states that ALL the money was Ananias' for his own use.

I would concur from the above, that we are not under obligation, but free to give as the Lord lays it upon our hearts. I do believe we should give and I do

think it is right to do so.

I think that Sunday morning sermons about giving are out of place and usually go hand in hand with the latest 'building' fund or project.

Most churches could use a peope outreach and not a floor plan that is bigger than the one currently in use.

You can tell if God is first by your first thoughts after getting what little money you do get. The power bill need caught up just to keep it on, or man, I have to give the Land Lord something, and I got to have cable, so I better put some on that.

Respectfully, don't you think a Chrisitan should pay for what they use/buy? I believe scripture certainly indicates we are to pay our taxes etc

as per Jesus' words.

I believe the evidence of God in a person's life is evident by the fruit that is seen....ie: patience, love, longsuffering and so on...

not meaning that someone is perfect; but definately wanting to change and follow Christ.

I do not believe we are compelled to give 10% any more than a man must undergo circumcision to show he believes in Christ.

The law was given to evidence sin...it was never meant to be held over someone's head to 'make' them do right. No one can keep the law

because if you break even the smallest part you have broken all of it. (I'm sure most Christians realize that)

If we back up from chapt 5 of Acts to Acts 4:32, we see that all the believers were one in heart and mind. They shared what they had

with one another. You can believe this was a work of the Holy Spirit and not a command or a law to compel one.

I think it works the same today. Only God can change the heart and outward acts of compliance do not prove anything anyway.

Sevenseas:

The law was given to evidence sin...it was never meant to be held over someone's head to 'make' them do right. No one can keep the law

because if you break even the smallest part you have broken all of it. (I'm sure most Christians realize that)

Exactly!!! That was what my post was about.

This is what I said at the end............

Now if you see in the Word where we bring our tithe, and God said he will open up the windows of heaven and bless us, and rebuke the devour for us, and it was part of the Blessing of Abraham. If that don't move you to tithe, and put God first, something is wrong, very wrong.

Because we are blessed WITH Faithful Abraham, and they did tithe a 10%..................... Then If we see that Blessing for tithing, we should also tithe to take part in that blessing. That is not an obligation, or law. I also said if you SEE it in the Word, or revealed to you that way.

Tithing out of obligation, or duty, is sort of like paying the MOB protection money. Your doing it out of obligation to be protected, because if you don't, then there will be no blessing for you. (As preached on some of these Christian TV shows.) Would be wrong motive, and not out of a cheerful heart.

I see God telling us to prove to him if he will not open the windows up to bless us.................. I also don't see where he mentioned He changed his mind about tithing and stealing. To me, stealing is still wrong though we are not under the Law, and would need God's Word that he changed what he considered stealing. God said above, that he changes not.

Now, was 10% to little and more is expected? Or, is all giving just out of the heart?

Not tried it that way, because I saw the promise on tithing and giving offerings above the tithe, and always putting God first when money comes in. That has gotten me out of poverty, and supernaturally put us in a much better place financially. I still have lots of room to receive though, but I suspect God's Wealth system is not a get rich quick scheme, but a faithful, with little, then promotion from faith to faith.

If I was smart enough, I would have gone to college, had a awesome Job, and just know things about taking care of my family.......... I skipped all that smart stuff, and did dumb stuff. So the Word looked like my only options to get out of debt, and stay above water. It meant putting God first, and tithing as God said so the blessings come.

Be blessed.

I agree in the spirit of your post, but not about the 10% because I do not find it in the NT. There are people who give and give and yet they are still in poverty.

Or in financial difficulty. Or sick or whatever. I guess I basically disagree with one size fits all and if you do this, God will do that for you. That would be because

I have heard this really abused with preachers begging for money and telling people God will bless them. That is not what a preacher should be doing. And God

is not their puppet to order about.

I know that is not what you saying...I appreciate what you wrote. Thanks 'believin'. God bless you also.

Edited by sevenseas

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Sevenseas:

Exactly!!! That was what my post was about.

This is what I said at the end............

Now if you see in the Word where we bring our tithe, and God said he will open up the windows of heaven and bless us, and rebuke the devour for us, and it was part of the Blessing of Abraham. If that don't move you to tithe, and put God first, something is wrong, very wrong.

Because we are blessed WITH Faithful Abraham, and they did tithe a 10%..................... Then If we see that Blessing for tithing, we should also tithe to take part in that blessing. That is not an obligation, or law. I also said if you SEE it in the Word, or revealed to you that way.

Tithing out of obligation, or duty, is sort of like paying the MOB protection money. Your doing it out of obligation to be protected, because if you don't, then there will be no blessing for you. (As preached on some of these Christian TV shows.) Would be wrong motive, and not out of a cheerful heart.

I see God telling us to prove to him if he will not open the windows up to bless us.................. I also don't see where he mentioned He changed his mind about tithing and stealing. To me, stealing is still wrong though we are not under the Law, and would need God's Word that he changed what he considered stealing. God said above, that he changes not.

Now, was 10% to little and more is expected? Or, is all giving just out of the heart?

Not tried it that way, because I saw the promise on tithing and giving offerings above the tithe, and always putting God first when money comes in. That has gotten me out of poverty, and supernaturally put us in a much better place financially. I still have lots of room to receive though, but I suspect God's Wealth system is not a get rich quick scheme, but a faithful, with little, then promotion from faith to faith.

If I was smart enough, I would have gone to college, had a awesome Job, and just know things about taking care of my family.......... I skipped all that smart stuff, and did dumb stuff. So the Word looked like my only options to get out of debt, and stay above water. It meant putting God first, and tithing as God said so the blessings come.

Be blessed.

I agree in the spirit of your post, but not about the 10% because I do not find it in the NT. There are people who give and give and yet they are still in poverty.

Or in financial difficulty. Or sick or whatever. I guess I basically disagree with one size fits all and if you do this, God will do that for you. That would be because

I have heard this really abused with preachers begging for money and telling people God will bless them. That is not what a preacher should be doing. And God

is not their puppet to order about.

I know that is not what you saying...I appreciate what you wrote. Thanks 'believin'. God bless you also.

But it is in the old..

Eze_45:11 The ephah and the bath shall be of the same measure, the bath containing one tenth of a homer, and the ephah one tenth of a homer; the homer shall be the standard measure.

Eze_45:14 and as the fixed portion of oil, measured in baths, one tenth of a bath from each cor (the cor, like the homer, contains ten baths).