IGNORED

What did Jesus Teach about Tithing to Christians ?

angels4u

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

"When one is poor, she has no say in public, she feels inferior. She has no food, so there is famine in her house; no clothing, and no progress in her family." — a woman from Uganda

"For a poor person everything is terrible - illness, humiliation, shame. We are cripples; we are afraid of everything; we depend on everyone. No one needs us. We are like garbage that everyone wants to get rid of." — a blind woman from Tiraspol, Moldova

Jesus elevates people out of their poverty both spiritually, by His great gift of salvation and the peace of mind that comes with that, and materially, meeting all needs with some left over to give, as good stewards.

Fez I hope you see it's not me saying poverty is bondage, but FA. Jesus death for us, and our love for Him and His Word, does over time, change our stinking thinking so that we become content with our circumstances and that bondage to circumstances is gone. But it's not the case that He always changes our circumstances, usually our perspective.

FA, you are really insulting to those great people who have faith and are not materially blessed.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

"When one is poor, she has no say in public, she feels inferior. She has no food, so there is famine in her house; no clothing, and no progress in her family." — a woman from Uganda

"For a poor person everything is terrible - illness, humiliation, shame. We are cripples; we are afraid of everything; we depend on everyone. No one needs us. We are like garbage that everyone wants to get rid of." — a blind woman from Tiraspol, Moldova

Jesus elevates people out of their poverty both spiritually, by His great gift of salvation and the peace of mind that comes with that, and materially, meeting all needs with some left over to give, as good stewards.

Fez I hope you see it's not me saying poverty is bondage, but FA. Jesus death for us, and our love for Him and His Word, does over time, change our stinking thinking so that we become content with our circumstances and that bondage to circumstances is gone. But it's not the case that He always changes our circumstances, usually our perspective.

FA, you are really insulting to those great people who have faith and are not materially blessed.

That is ridiculous. God is our supplier and He gives liberally. That is the experience of every strong believer I know...and I know hundreds, if not thousands. The word of God is rich with God's great goodness of provision to those in dire need!!

2 Kings 4 speaks for me.

It is not ridiculous when you see great faith in the midst of what we could call poverty.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Rev 2:9

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

It is not ridiculous when you see great faith in the midst of what we could call poverty.

That great faith lifts people out of it. It is not God's will that His children are impoverished.

Psalm 37:25

I have been young, and now I am old,

but I have never seen a righteous person abandoned

or his descendants begging for food.

That great faith lifts people out of it. It is not God's will that His children are impoverished.

I have a great friend who gave up all of his material needs, and went to the center of Australia as a missionary to the Aborigines. He has nothing and couldn't be happier. A lot of people out there live either under tarps or in tents. And they love him and respond to Him through him amazingly well. Dead center of Australia are some very impoverished Aboriginal believers who don't have the desire to leave their circumstances because they are right where God needs them to reach their family and friends. God doesn't want us to be in bondage, but living in what we in the West call "impoverished" doesn't imply bondage.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I have a great friend who gave up all of his material needs, and went to the center of Australia as a missionary to the Aborigines. He has nothing and couldn't be happier. A lot of people out there live either under tarps or in tents. And they love him and respond to Him through him amazingly well. Dead center of Australia are some very impoverished Aboriginal believers who don't have the desire to leave their circumstances because they are right where God needs them to reach their family and friends. God doesn't want us to be in bondage, but living in what we in the West call "impoverished" doesn't imply bondage.

Your friend understands this:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

I love to see this kind of faith in action. Thank you for sharing your account of it.

Gary

That's for sure! Although you cannot discount those in the west who truly are impoverished and living in squalor.

I believe that your friend knows indeed what Paul meant when he said he was acquainted with abundance and with lack. In those who are obedient to the call to reach the lost in dire circumstances, God is all-sufficient. Yes, as gdemoss states, Matthew 6:33 is very appropriate.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

Taylor30:

Jesus was poor

Jesus was what? What translation are you reading? The man got tax money our of the mouth of a fish, feed 5,000 people with just a few fish and bread. Had 30,000 thousand dollars worth of perfume (Year wages) on his feet. They fought over his extremely nice cloths when he died. They tried to capture him and make him a King. Judas carried the bag of money which they constantly handed money to the poor. Poor people don't do any of those things today. How do you consider this poor Taylor30?

Are you extremely wealthy? and the Lord's living condition just seems poor to you?

Cobalt1595:

Paul was not healed of his thorn in the flesh or his bad eyesight. Timothy was not healed of his bad stomach. So obviously, everyone is not healed of ailments. You've never dealt with this point.

I'll deal with it Cobalt.........................

Bad eyesight? As in the scripture in Galatians that You would have gladly given your eyes to me?

What could have happened to Paul?

Do you believe that in some parts of the Word it's possible to be persecuted for what you believe?

Why was Paul with the Galations to begin with? What happened to Paul?

What did the expression Give me your eyes mean at the time of Paul's Writing? Did Jesus ever mention the same expression before?

Thorn in flesh:

If Paul had a thorn in the flesh that was not healed, do you understand how serious infection was at that time?

You know that anything left imbedded in the flesh was often Fatal? Infections were the number one killer in the days of practicing Humors. Rome did have some success at setting broken bones and helping wounded soldiers heal. Leaving foreign objects in the body though was not good.

Does my grace is sufficient mean more than enough, or is the Lord's Grace just something that does not contain enough to get the job done?

Paul was given something, not injured with something. He was given a "Aggelos" used 178 times (KJV) as Angel........... Would this mean a physical thorn? or did Paul quote one of several passages in the OT?

Timothy's Stomach:

Any scripture that says Timothy was not healed?

Why would one not drink the water in those days? Timothy was instructed to stop drinking it.

What would have been the purpose of a Alcoholic beverage, in connection with water in Paul's day?

Does the Lord have Wisdom to treat things without some Miracle?

You forgot..... This is another favorite to prove something that is not there....

2Ti 4:20 Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick.

Actually Jesus WAS poor and you clearly are reading I to those points you mentioned.

First off, Jesus pulling the money out of a fish ( ACTUALLY IT WAS PETER ) was an isolated incident that shows up ONLY once. Jesus also did it NOT to get money but to pay a tax and show the authorities he was not above the law.

Jesus feeding the 5,000 was to feed OTHERS, he and the apostles got leftovers, certainly not rich.

The 30,000 in perfume was NOT from Jesus. It WAS from a repentant woman.

His clothing was ONE SINGLE garment, which is not necessarily rare. Owning 1 suit also doesn't make one rich.

Becoming a kind doesn't mean your rich either. Look st some of the OT kings, for example Saul the first King of Israel was a regular peasant like everyone else.

YOU are REALLY reading into those points. NONE of them show Jesus as a rich man. If you re-read your own passages IN CONTEXT, I think you will realize what I have said is true.

Paul was not sick, and a little wine is all Timothy needed to cure his ailing stomach. You do take Tylenol for a headache, don't you?

The verses you use are insufficient to prove your point, and I wasn't asking for healing verses anyway. This thread is about tithing. Show me verses that say tithing is required of a Christian.

No, they are not insufficient.

Umm . . . if your doctrine is correct, we shouldn't have to take any medicine at all because all we have to do is speak out against the headache and it is supposed to disappear. It's divine healing, remember? That is what you are always pushing. Just believe it. Just have enough faith. Just speak it, own it and it's done.

No, your scripture was not sufficient to prove your point.

We are real people and we have real headaches and Tylenol is just fine. Thank you Jesus!