ray

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

i am do not watch football,so it really doesn't matter to me,however the church i go to said last sunday that after this sunday's service the men will move our the chairs from the santuary and set up a big screen and they will be having a superbowl party in there.they said they can bring some unsaved people with them and show you can have fun without beer and junk..we don't sunday night service anymore,because pastor says that we need family time.

my problem is having this in the santuary.i feel that this room should be set a side for with fellowship with Jesus,they have a fellowship hall if they want to do it at the church.they said

we need to get men in the community in the church and inviting them infor supperbowl party is a good idea.

am i just sister bertha better than you or am i right to feel the SANTUARY is the wrong place?

I think one of the big errors of the modern churches is to think the world needs another program or activity that is 'good and clean'.

The world can offer plenty of those too.

The Spirit of God and the uncompromised gospel is what changes people, not worldly activities.

I would have a BIG problem with the church putting this kind of thing on in the sanctuary, football and sports are a 'golden calf' to a lot of Americans.

Thank God it's none of my business, but theres my opinion. :thumbsup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

Just for the record. I get excited about watching Creflo Dollar on TV and other Pastors too. And going to services. I really do. But for some reason I just do not see a chips, Pizza, beer, soda, and sanwiches party DURING a Bible Study. Before and after of course. And I do get excited when I hear stuff that speaks directly to me. Now a party during a great Worship Music Concert on Pay-per-view or video at home with friends OH YES!!!! OR at a live concert or mass live broadcast too.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

"Party" + "teaching" are two words that mix together like oil and water! :thumbsup:

And somehow, the idea of jumping up and down and screaming like a lunatic in the middle of a discussion on the Good Samaritan just doesn't seem very likely. :rofl:

Again, I hear what you are saying. But in context sports are a good energy release, a good time to get goofy, a good way to have fellowship and exercise and a break from other stresses of life and all that. But, hey - if you can give me a church whee I can dress up in war paint and team uniform and blow a party horn whenever something good is said, yeah I'd be there in a heartbeat! But I don't think the pastor wold like getting upstaged by my screaming and cheering and geting looney!

All that is to say it's a different kind-of adrenaline rush you get at sporting events than you can in a sermon or in testimonies. The excitement I get over someone's conversion may not be as intense at the moment, but the happiness is longer lasting. The sports excitement does get kind-of hollow rather quick after the rush dies away.

:taped: You're very funny, Neb! And I do see your point about sports being an energy release. I admit I hadn't regarded that point. It's very valid and correct. Thanks for helping me to realize that. However, I think the main energy release is meant to be spent in playing the sport, not in watching them.

My main point remains, even if my analogy doesn't quite apply. Sports has still become an idol in millions of people's lives, including many Christians who meet a sports game with more enthusiasm and interest than they do the things of God.

I'm not trying to come off 'holier-than-thou', better than anyone else (because I have other things that attempt to make themselves an idol in my life), or even bitter. It's just that it's so incredibly blatant and in our faces that it's become like the elephant in the room that nobody talks about. I can't tell you how many times I've heard pastors use sports jokes and references in their sermons and even adjust the time spent in church on Sunday mornings to accommodate those who would like to get home for the game. I find it offensive and I think it's shameful and embarrassing.

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

After reading through the rest of the posts, I just wanted to clarify something. What I said about having a party at a Bible study was an A N A L O G Y and not meant to be taken literally. It was making the point about the level of excitement and anticipation and how much heart was put into time watching a football game verses the time spent in study of the Word and worship.

And before anyone mentions that it's possible to watch a football game and have it also be a Godly time or time spent with Him, I'll say now that I understand that. I'm not disputing that. I am simply talking about the elephant in the room that a lot of people like to dance around. I'm talking about the millions of people, including Christians, who have allowed sports - and sports players - to become idols in their lives.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My main point remains, even if my analogy doesn't quite apply. Sports has still become an idol in millions of people's lives, including many Christians who meet a sports game with more enthusiasm and interest than they do the things of God.

Oh I quite agree with that!

Guest shiloh357

My Church rents a big screen and has a deal going with one the pizza places in town to provide the food (pizza, hot-wings etc.) We have a pre-game service and everyone is invited to bring their unsaved, Superbowl watching friends to the service and then there is devotional during half-time. There is always a big turn out. People are encouraged to wear their jerseys and just have a good time. The Pastor is always looking for ways (within reason) to use these types of things as a means of reaching people where they are at. He does not like the Superbowl, and is not a football fan himself, but he would rather have the people in church than to cancel services altogether. He believes that there are some things in the world that can be used as point of contact to touch people where they are living, and to be relevant to them. He has a real heart for those who don't know Jesus.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

we had about 50% of our normal sunday evening crowd at church, which started at 6 and ended after 8:30..... at 9 there were still about 75 people there in prayer and worship.....

mike