• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,582
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 24

4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

My question is...is it wrong then to do anything else with your life? Are we all supposed to not try to find careers to devote your entire life to Jesus? Because if that was true then nothing would get done in this world

I can't just quit college, my parents are paying good money so that I can get a career. Yet College sucks up most of my time, so I can't devote the whole day to Jesus...

What if I love my life? What if I'm enjoying the blessings I have? Am I then wrong, that I love God's creation? That I enjoy movies from time to time?

Remember the rich young ruler, who seem to be asking God to endorse his self-poclaimed righteousness/morality to be sufficent. Jesus discern that this man was really attached to his lifestyle. He told him to sell all that he had and then come and follow me. TOTAL ABANDONMENT Remember those who wanted to go see property, buried the dead father rather than accept the immediate offer to follow the Lord's will for their life. So the question will always be will you abandon your plans for what God has planned for you if He asked you? Is there a certain lifestyle that you insist on? From another angle will you use your current position in life as a missionary assignment? Can you absolutely predict that pursuing this career will not become a detriment to your spiritual walk or the walk of others? Will you use the greater income to pursue being a greater participant in the kingdm work? The last question which addresses your final lines, Are we here to consume life or spend our lives for the glory of God?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

My question is...is it wrong then to do anything else with your life? Are we all supposed to not try to find careers to devote your entire life to Jesus? Because if that was true then nothing would get done in this world

I can't just quit college, my parents are paying good money so that I can get a career. Yet College sucks up most of my time, so I can't devote the whole day to Jesus...

What if I love my life? What if I'm enjoying the blessings I have? Am I then wrong, that I love God's creation? That I enjoy movies from time to time?

Understood.

Agreed we do have to live in this world, we do have to work, and we were created by God to enjoy things in this life.

Scripture confirms this.

I. Peter 3

"10": For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

I. Timothy 4

"8": For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Romans 14

"5": One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

"6": He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

"7": For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

"8": For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

"9": For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Psalm 107

"9": For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness

Isaiah 55

"1": Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

"2": Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

There is of course balance in everything. When we die to ourselves it means we live unto Him.

Personally I've been told by God to go see a movie before! (And may He have mercy on me ... I enjoyed it!)

:emot-hug:

InternalFlame,

I've read your posts. You are a kind, loving person. And God wants you to enjoy life in Him. Just always be sure the things of the world are never more important to you than Him. He gives good things to us to enjoy in this life. Consider Paul. He was a tentmaker. Then how about him living in his "own" hired house? Hmmmm.

Acts 28

"30": And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

And how about Solomon? The man asked God for wisdom and God gave him all good things in this life. Solomon was a very wealthy man. David enjoyed some things too didn't he?

John 16

"23": And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

"24": Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full

Joy? Hmmmm. Doesn't the word "enjoy" come from that? (Just a thought.)

Galatians 2

"20": I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Peace.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

Remember the rich young ruler, who seem to be asking God to endorse his self-poclaimed righteousness/morality to be sufficent. Jesus discern that this man was really attached to his lifestyle. He told him to sell all that he had and then come and follow me. TOTAL ABANDONMENT Remember those who wanted to go see property, buried the dead father rather than accept the immediate offer to follow the Lord's will for their life. So the question will always be will you abandon your plans for what God has planned for you if He asked you? Is there a certain lifestyle that you insist on? From another angle will you use your current position in life as a missionary assignment? Can you absolutely predict that pursuing this career will not become a detriment to your spiritual walk or the walk of others? Will you use the greater income to pursue being a greater participant in the kingdm work? The last question which addresses your final lines, Are we here to consume life or spend our lives for the glory of God?

Indeed.

God and His will for you in Christ Jesus is to be first in all.

Romans 14

"22": Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth

Peace.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/13/1976

Good questions. I do believe that God calls people to seek after carreers and others he'll call to full time ministries or maybe someone is called to something totally different. There needs to be believers in the work world in order to win the lost. Everyone has a different walk with the Lord. You must pick up your cross and follow Him. Your cross might be different from someone elses. The main thing is to give up all to follow Him, allow Him to work in your life and purify you.

The Bible says to hate your own life. When I read that Scripture I understand it as meaning hating your way of living and living for God instead. When you do give your life over to God you will have joy and will love the life the Lord has given you. The question should be, are you willing to give your life over to the Lord for His will and forsake your own will? The Lord is not so hard that he won't allow you to ever have fun. The Bible says there is a time for fun. We just need to do all as if we are doing it for the Lord. If we are at work, we do it as if it is for the Lord, if we are having fun, we do it has if we are doing it for the Lord, etc. I hope I'm making some sense here.

I just read the last few posts and these questions were well answered before I got to them :blink:

Guest Slightly_Deranged

Joy in the Lord,

"This process comes with a cost. If I had known the cost at the start, there is no way that I would have kept going. He reveals the cost at different crossroads along the way and I have the choice to pay the cost and keep going.

My walk has become so very difficult in the last 5 months as I am finding that alot of my Christian friends are walking away. They don't want to go deeper and believe that I am too serious.

Is there anyone out there who is interested in the deeper things of God?"

That brought to mind a scripture, and I thought for 10-20 minutes whether I should try to find it. I finally decided to look for it and thought it was most likely in Johns Gospel so I grabbed vol V and randomly opened it in John to the page I needed??!!?!!???!!!! :24:

John Chapter 16:4

"I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you."

This was just before the garden when judas and the soldiers showed up.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I work with wealthy people (although I myself am not)

What they spend their money on can sometimes be absolutely frivolous. The selfish, greedy, egotistical things I have seen from some people that I have done work for is absoluetely appaling.

What I have seen money spent on for me to do work for, has been very disheartening when I think of so many with so little.

Not all my customers are like this, but, unfortunately most.

So many times I have asked myself and others close to God, "what in the world am I doing this for" No one but these rich people, and to some extent me, benefit from this, I then site all the things and more that I have described that are in my world.

Then we get to ---How do I fit in Gods plan" and I look at the people around me and consider that it is THESE people (the wealthy) that are helping to keep me on a good path, and it is these people that more than any others I must be a shining example ( and, yes I can get tarnished) to so that when they are ready and the Lord presesnts the opportunity , they will know that, although I dont have their wealth, I have something different.

My financial restrictions help keep me from falling into the same money trap as they. I have come to hope, and pray,the success of my position through the talent and skills that the Lord has given me, allow Him to place an opportunity, for Him, in their lives.

I pray Lord that I will recognize the openings you have created for your word when they are presented.

I still pray Lord that when I am tempted that your Spirit and word will remind me of what you know I can do, and that you will not push me beyond my limits.

We are given skills and talents in this world, whether working for rich people, on the streets with prostitutes or some mission in the Congo.

We all have a mission we all must dedicate what we have learned that we may get in the position to let the Lord use us

In order to do that we MUST have a good Christian support group

God wants us in all walks of life , to get His word out.

But we have to rely on Him for the strength and support to not let us down when that life we are in becomes very challenging

Think about this; who would a person covered in tatoos and body peircing be more receptive to, someone that is born again wearing a suit and tie, or someone that is born again with tatoos

(and dare I say body piercing)

Both have gone through their seperate experiences and God will use them according to His needs.

We just have to live our lives with God on our minds

mike

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Mike 2;

God has put me in a unique position at the church I serve. You will never meet a more diverse group of believers in your life. But I consider it a divine design. One of my parishoners was having a struggle about buying a yacht. He didn't know if a Christian could spend money like that with a clear conscience. So he was asking his pastor (me) what did I think. I told him in all things serve God and never sacrifice your passion for God for the passion of material things. He said, I guess that means I shouldn't buy this 50ft boat huh? No, I said just answer the question will this purchase help serve God or hinder me from serving God. The end result our church now has a presence at the Sheraton Marina on docks A-F. This past summer I have been on 1-5Million dollar yachts and introduced, had coffee, invited to dinner, and had several visitors to our church as a result. 1 couple from South Africa made a profession of faith last year.

Another Church member, had the urge to purchase a Harley Davidson motorcyle, he felt the same way about a much smaller purchase. The same advice was given and the same application made. Guess who is coming to church, friends made while they admired his steel horse. But I can also tell you stories of people who have taken job promotions or started new businesses who drifted away from the church. One couple got involved in AMway, I see them now on ETC (Easter, Thanksgiving, & Christmas).

To use a personal illustration, I have served two churches as a full-time pastor over the last 10 years. In each case I accepted the call to the church with the salary unknown to me. God has honored when I became almost blind to the financial aspects up or down, but asked only the question, is this where God would have me serve? The first church was upscale the second church blue collar and God has blessed in both.

Edited by David from New Bern

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

Thanks for all the answers I got :online2long:. I know I must give my life over to Him, but sometimes am confused about what His will is for me. The way I see it, the best I can do right now is try to keep God in my life all day, and if He calls me to do something do it the best that I can.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Mike 2;

God has put me in a unique position at the church I serve. You will never meet a more diverse group of believers in your life. But I consider it a divine design. One of my parishoners was having a struggle about buying a yacht. He didn't know if a Christian could spend money like that with a clear conscience. So he was asking his pastor (me) what did I think. I told him in all things serve God and never sacrifice your passion for God for the passion of material things. He said, I guess that means I shouldn't buy this 50ft boat huh? No, I said just answer the question will this purchase help serve God or hinder me from serving God. The end result our church now has a presence at the Sheraton Marina on docks A-F. This past summer I have been on 1-5Million dollar yachts and introduced, had coffee, invited to dinner, and had several visitors to our church as a result. 1 couple from South Africa made a profession of faith last year.

Another Church member, had the urge to purchase a Harley Davidson motorcyle, he felt the same way about a much smaller purchase. The same advice was given and the same application made. Guess who is coming to church, friends made while they admired his steel horse. But I can also tell you stories of people who have taken job promotions or started new businesses who drifted away from the church. One couple got involved in AMway, I see them now on ETC (Easter, Thanksgiving, & Christmas).

To use a personal illustration, I have served two churches as a full-time pastor over the last 10 years. In each case I accepted the call to the church with the salary unknown to me. God has honored when I became almost blind to the financial aspects up or down, but asked only the question, is this where God would have me serve? The first church was upscale the second church blue collar and God has blessed in both.

I like you