• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Why is it that scientists, in their arrogance, cannot accept the supernatural and have to "prove" a "natural" explanation for things? And of course, make a name for themselves as well.

See the article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3628510a4560,00.html

I think we are being told that Jesus was a "Merlin the magician" and used an ability to understand natural phenomena to trick people into believing that he could perform miracles (you know, the story of Merlin using the "total eclipse of the sun" to frighten his enemies and get them to do his will).

Can anyone see any logic to this?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I saw this yesterday and had pretty much the same reaction you do. Its a way of destroying proof in God, Jesus and the Bible. Same way "scientist" have come up with natural explanations of the parting of the Red Sea and the plagues of Egypt. Oh, look we can show how this happens and prove it wasn't really a miracle, just a natural occurrence of nature.

Destroy the miracles, destroy any reason to believe in a miraculous God. Then miracles just become mundane, no God needed, just mother nature at work.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/31/1977

That is why I hate watching the History Channel sometimes. Those Scholars of the Bible never accept miracles but try to find natural events. For example the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra: They were saying that probably a volcano erupted. That is why the burning sulfur destroyed the city according to them. Why can't they just accept the miracle. God can do anything but sin. :th_praying:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

*is on a school computer and attempting to keep mouth shut*

Oh I give up.. WHAT ON EARTH!!!! Can this world not be more ignorant? Or are they too knowledgable for their own good? My goodness... if I remember the passage right, wasn't there just a storm before hand?? Peter stepped outo f the boat and walked to him.. and he began to sink after he watched the wind or something like that... Yeah, I'd like to see him try to explain "man's stupidity" in stepping of a peice of ice, and begin to sink.. HAH!!! :th_praying:

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Its a miracle that the disciples were sailing a boat on ice!

:th_praying::24::24::24::24::24::24:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

How does this "scientist" explain Jesus raising Lazarus after being dead and spending three days in a tomb? :th_praying:

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

How does this "scientist" explain Jesus raising Lazarus after being dead and spending three days in a tomb? :24:

Give em time....................right now they are working on the "easy" stuff!

:th_praying:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

. . . he walked on a floating piece of ice.

:24: Oh yeah - so simple - walking on floating pieces of ice.

So the real miracle was that he was able to keep his balance jumping between ice chunks!

:th_praying:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

Three of the Gospels record this miracle, all three placing it directly after the feeding of the 5000. Here are the accounts:

Mat 14:22 And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.

Mat 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

Mat 14:24
But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.

Mat 14:26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

Mat 14:27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

Mat 14:28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

Mat 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Mat 14:30
But when he saw the wind boisterous,
he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Mat 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Mat 14:32
And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.

Mat 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Mar 6:45 And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people.

Mar 6:46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.

Mar 6:47 And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land.

Mar 6:48
And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them:
and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them.

Mar 6:49 But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:

Mar 6:50 For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.

Mar 6:51 And he went up unto them into the ship;
and the wind ceased:
and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.

Joh 6:16 And when even was now come, his disciples went down unto the sea,

Joh 6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.

Joh 6:18
And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.

Joh 6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.

Joh 6:20 But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.

Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received him into the ship: and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went.

Kitty had mentioned the storm, and I bolded the parts above that refer to the weather.

Now, for Jesus to have been 'merely' walking on ice on top of the water, frankly it would have to have been miraculous ice! After all, the ice would have to form and then remain stable during a 'boisterous' wind storm with tossing waves. Furthermore, the sheet of ice would have needed to extend from the shore where they all had started out some 25 or 30 furlongs into the sea - because that is how far John records that the disciples had rowed before Jesus came to them.

I think the scientist needs to read the passage he hopes to debunk a little more closely.