• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

AND still true today..

1Th 5:19   Quench not the Spirit.  

1Th 5:20   Despise not prophesyings.  

1Th 5:21   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  

1Th 5:22   Abstain from all appearance of evil.  

1Th 5:23   And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [i pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

:angel: in Christ, Karen

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

:inlove: in addition;

1Jo 2:15   Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  

1Jo 2:16   For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.  

1Jo 2:17   And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.  

Amen!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

FHA,

My cousins, who is a christian, holds your view and I'm not judging either one of you, I just can't understand how you guys can't see evil when it looks you in the face?  My child had to leave the classroom while her teacher read Harry Potter everyday at school, that is until other parents started complaining too, then the teacher just quit reading it.  Look up sorcery in the concordance and read what God has to say about it.  My dear cousin, who thinks this is all harmless told me that her son recently had a fit of rage where he went into his room and threw things and screamed and yelled and she couldn't control him, when she finally went in and told him to stop or else he started laughing hysterically, eyes rolled back in his head and fell to the floor laughing like a maniac.  She said he did not look like her son and it scared her to death so she slapped him in the face and he then started crying hysterically.  Does THAT sound normal to you?  He reads HP all the time, other than that he is a normal kid that goes to church and boy scouts etc.

Pray about it.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

Nope, doesn't sound like a normal child at all. Does he read his Bible? Small group? Youth group? Do they study together? If ALL he is doing is reading HP there is more going on there than meets the eye, and that's a possible situation that I have no business commenting on!

I think our upcoming WAR is evil. I think Saddam Hussein is evil. I know these things are REAL. I have them in perspective as far as the writings of JK Rowling are concerned...

and in MY humble opinion, if you allow some magic and sorcery (fairy tales, Disney, others I have already mentioned) but not others, you are splitting hairs and are not being honest with your heart. :angel:

The key, as I have stated, is fantasy and REALITY. Fantasy cannot be evil, it is not REAL--it is using imagination and allowing it to fly. Are you against ALL flights of fancy? Are we not to use our imaginations at all? I do not agree, and I know the difference in reality and silly fun. Sorry guys, but you can't have it both ways. Either you want to get rid of EVERYTHING with magical connotations and things in which humans do impossible things, or you  are going to want to back off of Harry Potter! If magic is unacceptable that's just it for ALL magic representation! Not just the ones you CHOOSE! Who decides what's harmful?

Do you choose  to abolish Shakespeare's midsummer night's dream? Cindrerella bites the dust?  I've thought and prayed on this for a long time, ya'll, and a few extreme examples will NOT change my mind. I think YOU should pray on the honesty of your position. :angel:

OK FHA,

We have light and darkness, we have evil and good, we have heavenly influences and influence from satan.  Do you think the author is inspired by God to write this stuff?  Do you think Jesus would read it?  Do you think you'd invite Him over for popcorn and Harry Potter The Sorcerer's Stone? :angel:

I love ya sista, in fact I pray for you a lot, I'm not trying to attack you in anyway, and yes, my 2nd cousin reads the bible quite a bit and is into other things, he just got baptized too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

FHA: Greetings, dear Sister... I know you and I are on the same page on just about everything. With all love and respect, (and you know I think the world of you) but I hear what Wordsower is saying on this...

I have read several books on demonic oppression and according to Rebecca Brown, M.D.it's a dangerous thing to allow a child (or adult for that matter) to open their mind up to  occult influences.

Evidently,  if you engage in occultic practices  such as Oujia boards, Dungeons' and Dragons, etc. this opens up spiritual "doorways" which gives Satan "legal ground" and creates a stronghold for demonic occupation.  

I don't claim to be a researcher in demonic possession but I've read enough books about the subject that I know to leave anything dealing with the occult alone. Period.  

I kinda laughed at an earlier post. Some guy challenged readers that if they hadn't read the books or seen the movies, how could they judge? Well, I haven't snorted Coke, either.    :angel:

We live in a sinful world and it's inevitable that we'll run into ungodly influences  in our everyday lives. Yes, our children will experience "limited" exposure to a sinful world but their experiences are controlled within our parental sphere  of influence.

On a spiritual level, I'd equate Harry Potter with a spiritual equivalent of anthrax. It's highly toxic and even deadly on a spiritual level. It's serious  - not benign. It's masquerading as entertainment - but make no mistake, it's anything but that. It serves an important purpose to the enemy because the media is his playground.  He uses it to his advantage.

When people open their minds to occultic influences, it opens

demonic doorways which allows the enemy to create a stronghold in their mind. The battleground is ALWAYS in the mind...that's where it all starts.                  Cat

Hey sis, Yep, we disagree on this one. My heart is full of the Lord, as you know, and I can still enjoy a good vampire novel now and then. Perhaps God will spank me for it someday, but He will also thank me for bringing lost souls to His throne, which I think is more on his mind than Harry Potter... :angel:

Hi wordsower, I love and respect you too! And I pray for you too! :blush:

Now, do i believe that authors are inspired by God? Shucks, I don't know. Was Shakespeare inspired by God? most would say yes, he was very gifted. JK Rowling? I don't know--I think the work is fun and inspiring and takes people out of their problems for a while, as fiction is supposed to do. Were the writers of fairy tales inspired by God? Any parent who reads their child to sleep with Snow White or Cinderella will tell you YES! haha

You know, actually, probably not. The writers of the Bible were inspired by God, but I don't think divine inspiration flows this rampantly. I think God gave us all our imaginations, though, and that makes them inspired in THAT way--

I'm just not going to agree with the "all fantasy and magical fiction is evil" line of thinking. I think it's wrong!

You never answered--anybody--my question about other magic in other tales...if magic is wrong in fiction, it's wrong. Not in some works but in ALL works. Think before you answer... :???:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, FHA, I'll answer your statement. I'm not saying all magic is wrong (though I think it is) but I am saying that magic is REAL. God is the one that said to stay away from it.  It's not our imagination and it's not just fantasy. If it were not real we would not have been instructed by God to stay away from it. How confusing to a child to tell him that hp is not real but imagination only, but to turn around and tell him the miracles of the bible are real. He would end up doubting. When Moses faced pharaohs magicians and they duplicated some of the displays, was that imagination? No.

I can't speak for everyone here, just for myself, but since you press the issue, NO I do not think that Grimms fairy tales were inspired by God, but by the enemy. Shakespear? He certainly had a talent but inspired by God? Hardly. So, in answer to your question, I think ALL  magic and sorcery and witchcraft should not be tolerated. Think before I answer, because that would b=mean that I'm denouncing fairy tales.  You tell me FHA. What is good about fairy tales?

:angel:

You never answered--anybody--my question about other magic in other tales...if magic is wrong in fiction, it's wrong. Not in some works but in ALL works. Think before you answer...  

Such as what?  David Copperfield?  I wouldn't go see him.

Cinderella?  Not sure, but I don't see the comparison in a poor, mistreated stepchild becoming a princess and a dark, witchlord casting evil spells on people. :angel:

When children are small, they have brilliant imaginations, like diamonds. Children imagine magical things even if they never see a movie or read a book. They will still pretend to fly and pretend to 'make' things happen. Did you know this? It's true! It's natural!

When we grow up, there is plenty of time for seriousness and reality. Children should be allowed to have flights of fancy and awe--and fairy tales and princesses and princes and magic potions and flying.

There are alot of good things about fairy tales, lots of life lessons are in there. I loved the Princess and the Pea. Did I believe that someone could get all bruised up from a pea placed under 20 mattresses? No! Did I learn the value of honesty? Yes.

I love peter Pan. Did I believe that some fairy was going to blow dust on me and I'd fly out the window? No.  

Do kids really think there is a Sorcerer's School they can attend and learn to do magic? No! In Harry Potter good always triumphs over evil. The bad guys lose. The biggest isn't always the best.

And thank you traveller, for addressing the point. If magic in FICTION (as I said) is wrong, then it ALL has to go. Do you all think the world would be a better place without Shakespeare's works? Do you think that seeing Mary Poppins as a child was harmful? There are spells all over Disney stuff and all over the place in fiction. I never said that real magic is ok--NO! That is dangerous and real and has nothing to do with this thread--Harry Potter is not real.

Liken it to this-I love a good filet. I know that it is not good for me to eat ONLY filet, but now and then I eat one and I enjoy it. I know that I also need vegetables and starches and vitamins and minerals and 1/2 glass of wine a day for my heart. Some people think NO ONE should eat filet. They think eating meat is evil. I disagree, and choose to eat my steaks now and then. Should someone else be allowed to take my steaks away because they are vegetarian? being omnivorous is not sinful. Unless you're a glutton, of course. Is any of this making a dent? It's not a great comparison, but the point is there. I don't mean to fight with anyone about this--we can all disagree, and that's cool with me. Like I said, God may spank me for reading Anne Rice. He will also thank me for bringing lost souls to His throne, which is something I do ALOT more of than reading these silly tales.

My main point is, is you want to get rid of Potter, then ALL works of fiction with ANY magical connotations have to be gotten rid of as well, if you want to set and hold to a standard. You can't have it both ways.

And David Copperfield? I couldn't stare at those eyebrows for a whole evening--no way! :angel: But I DO enjoy a good illusionist! That is not sinful either! Illusions are not real, as everyone should know by the name... :thumb:  :angel: