IGNORED

What is proper attire for public worship?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

To put my thoughts in a simpler way: It's the thought that goes into it. Like everything else, it's about motive. What would a person wear if they were really (not hypothetically) going to meet the president, favorite author, the queen, a celebrity, or whoever they love or are excited to meet? Most likely they wouldn't dress down. If a person would dress up to meet them, why not the Kings of Kings?

I'm not saying a person "should" dress up for church. As I said in my post it's a personal choice. But I do believe a person's motives come into play. Why are any of us dressing the way we do to attend service? Is it for our own comfort? Because we have other plans right after church? Or on the other side of it... Is it to impress others? Is it out of a sense of obligation? Like I said, it's about attitude and motive. For me, I consider it part of giving God my best... and that means going to the effort of dressing up to give Him my best in this area, like I try to do in every area of my life. I choose to dress-up.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I don't wear dresses normally.

So why should I pretend to be someone that I am not, at church?

I am clean, hair brushed, clean clothes (usually, don't ask), but in jeans and a blouse.

I had a lady give me a bag of skirts, she said don't fit her.

I graciously accepted them but have not worn them.

The preacher is a farmer, this is a farm community and money is better spent on things other than dresses.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Yeah, I don't wear dresses either. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Yeah, I don't wear dresses either. :P

Just the occassional kilt while playing your bagpipe? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

Really?? :thumbsup:

Guest LadyC

if i was to meet the president, or a celebrity, i'd show up just like i do for church. with my hair neatly styled, with a pair of clean jeans and a modest shirt, and probably flip flops. i'd have my makeup on, and my contacts in because i'm too self conscious in my glasses.

and if they didn't think i was dressed up enough, i'd think they were too snooty for me to bother wasting any time thinking about it. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

If people can't dress respectably, they are showing disrespect for both Christ and His church. Church is not a fashion parade nor is it a beach party. So......be humble before the Lord.....not proud and flashy.

e

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

If people can't dress respectably, they are showing disrespect for both Christ and His church. Church is not a fashion parade nor is it a beach party. So......be humble before the Lord.....not proud and flashy.

e

I agree, eric. Glitz and glam and prancing around like a peacock (pride) isn't appropriate. Neither is approaching the Lord with irreverence and commonality in shorts and t-shirts. It's a matter of having the proper fear of the Lord (The most missing element in the body today) and dressing like you are going to meet the Person you should love and esteem most in the world. We are supposed to give Him our best. That includes our appearance when we meet with Him corporately. I don't think people should don a tux or an evening gown, but wearing some of your best clothes, out of respect and humility, just makes sense.

Of course, all of this is just personal opinion, as everyone's posts here are. The Bible doesn't give directives in this area, but it does give guidelines.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Neither is approaching the Lord with irreverence and commonality in shorts and t-shirts.
Your church must be air conditioned. :th_praying:

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

e

My earthly father loves me, it doesn't make any difference what I'm wearing. When I go to see him, I'm excited and happy, I can't wait to talk to him and kiss him and give him a big old hug. I respect him deeply and try to honor him in everything I say and do. My Father in heaven is glad when I approach him the same way, with eagerness and happiness and love in my heart. When He is the utmost important thing on my mind. My clothes, well I don't think I should go to church in a bikini, I agree with Tess and others about modesty, absolutely, but what my heart is clothed in is what God is looking at. If I am only worshiping him through rote, or with anger in my heart toward a brother or sister, what difference does clothing make, none, my worship will be unacceptable. If I've been mowing the yard and I'm hot and sweaty and break out in thanks for the wonder of God's world around me............ahhh thats praise!