IGNORED

What role does humility play in your walk?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

pride, being a sin, it can and i believe, will, prevent you from receiving the best of the gifts, as we have been told to strive for. it stands in the way of spiritual advancement, being puffed up we will try to accept God's glory for things he did through us, he will not allow that to happen. we will attempt to take the upper seat at the feast and find ourselves being asked to move for a more important guest. humility is a tough road to walk and takes constant guarding and reflection. God will humble us to bring us into line if we ask him, but be ready for the lessons. hard is the narrow road. Praise the Lord!!!

Edited by dakota190

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Mike....

I am sorry but I still do not understand where you are coming from....

I see humility as a state of the heart not an act of the will..

just as pride is a state of the heart...

...How do I say"well,in this situation I am going to be humble.."

I can only find myself "being humble" in a situation..

eg. letting someone go through the whole explanation of something you are thoroughly versed in, without interupting or rolling your eyes.

To some that would be considered polite, to others it would be considered a humble gesture.

This is just being polite....I can move in pride and do the same thing...

How can we witness, if we are afraid of humiliation..

That is pride...

I do not mean the position of vulnerability in that I would appear weak, but, in a non judgemental way, in a way that it would allow someone to express themselves, without fear of being wrong.

Again folks are afraid of expressing themselves because of pride....or perhaps in their heart they know they are wrong...it would make no difference whether I was moving in humility or pride for someone else to express themselves...

Our being humble allows us to teach in a different way then we may normally consider, and it allows us to learn more because we are not afraid to be humbled.

Again, humility is a state of the heart not an act of the will...

How do you say as you enter Church "I am going to be humble this morning for the sake of the congregation."

I do not see humility as and act I do but as a heart response...

Can any of you purple people help out here with your "great wisdom" on humility.. :emot-nod:

What is it I am not understanding... :thumbsup:

I shall humbley await the great wisdom of the 'purple people"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

see mike , thats my problem I cannot see how I can say.."I will be humble and wait"

:thumbsup:

you are in fact deferring in love perhaps ..not being humble..at least that is what I see...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I think a heart state is most definitely and act of will. For it has to be chosen and preferred by the person either to remain prideful arrogant and conceited or not to be that way. Like preferring others before self. Giving out of your need instead of giving out of your want. Having a teachable spirit. I think it is being poor in spirit. Knowing that you need God so you remain humble by choice. Instead of acting and walking like you don't need God for anything. The heart state of an individual is always a chosen act of freewill.

swordfish

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

see mike , thats my problem I cannot see how I can say.."I will be humble and wait"

:thumbsup:

Rather than going on and on in an attempt to seem all knowing, and "save face", I have seen that it will recquire an understanding that I cannot put forward at this time.

There are others that may be able to do that. It is more important that an understanding is reached by both of us, rather than a debate won. By letting others express their thoughts on this, both you and I will learn something from this experience.

You have basically said that you dont understand what I am saying, and that you would like to hear from someone with more knowledge.

Presently, I am now feeling a little humiliated because I have not been able to explain myself, in a manner that you can understand.

I am humbled and I shall patiently wait, and listen, and learn.

I shall accept this feeling of humility because, I have a sense that the people that are taking part in this discusion have the same loving goal,and that is a better understanding of how God wants us to be.

I dont have to have the answers, but I thank God that He allows me the strength to be humble, to sit back, and to learn.

As a result of that, I am able to bring my thoughts and feelings forward and not be worried if someone does'nt understand them.... just considers them. Something you are doing.

Who knows what the Spirit is leading us to... but we would'nt go there if we where afraid of being humiliated

What would you consider examples of humility

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Perhaps we give lips service alone to the issue of humbleness in the church. My question is multifaceted and probably to broad to be covered exhaustively but I think it is worthwhile to converse about and see what we can discover from one another and from the Holy Spirit. What role does humbleness play in our sanctification? Our ability to understand doctrine? Operate in our giftedness? Discussing Biblical truths in which there are differences across the spectrum of Christianity? doing church? participating in apologetics (defending the faith)? reconciliation?...etc... What is the difference between confidence and pride, is it vague or pretty easy to define? What happens when a person displays arrogance or is self-defensive or braggadocious under the disguise of Christian service?

As I said earlier this is a huge question.....

and outside of my understanding...

I really do not know enough to add anything else right now... :thumbsup:

I will keep reading and perhaps I will learn something... :emot-nod:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

What role does humility play in your walk?

Well it makes for peace between me and the Maker. It is better to walk with the Lord in humility than to walk with Him in pride. As the Lord will resist you in this way and will actually fight against you as you are doing to Him when you walk proudly before Him doing your own thing instead of being like a little child that is being taught by your Heavenly Father. So it is good to be and walk in peace with the Heavenly Father so he can lift you up in due season.

OC

mike 2

I understand what you are saying, but do you think that rather than the Lord fighting against what we are doing when we are proud, He might be leaving us on our own, till we realize, somehow, that we are caught up in our pride...let the pride discipline us.

OC

I think that you have a good question but my answer to it is simply that our own pride does not discipline us to turn from our ways unto G-d's ways. In fact our pride keeps us lifted up in self. G-d will use our enemies to correct and bring us back to Him as He did with the Chaldean people in the book of Daniel and in the book of Judges and in the new testament for such a one was handed over to Satan for a time for the destruction of the flesh. G-d's punishment unto His children is not our own sinful boastful pride. It says in Proverbs that G-d hates pride. It is when one chooses not to walk in harmony with G-d that one becomes an enemy with G-d and as one fights against His will then they are fighting against G-d at that point. For they are the enemies of the cross as it says in Galatians chapter 5 or 6 I can't remember which one. Just because one has problems and struggles to contend with in life does not make a person prideful.

You say let the pride discipline us and I say that pride is a sin so we should not let sin discipline us for we do not want evil sin to teach us anything in this life lest we fill this old world with more evil from what it teaches us. So this is not correct as far as I see it.

Whom G-d loveth He chasethens. It is that we must learn and submit to. Lots of times people take on that role of G-d the Father and harm the people of G-d with their counsel in this area. Others whip and beat you down and not G-d.

mike2

Is it the actions of our pride and the results of those actions that seem like the Lord is fighting back.

What do you think? Is this a way similar to what tah was saying earlier, where we are humbled when we step back and say to ourselves, in our pride, we have messed things up.

this is said with tongue in cheek, so don't kill the messenger. perhaps, humility is found in one sentence answers and pride is found in 30 sentence answers.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

this is said with tongue in cheek, so don't kill the messenger. perhaps, humility is found in one sentence answers and pride is found in 30 sentence answers.

then I reply with tongue in cheek and not 30 sentences for you and say perhaps you are right

OC

then I reply with tongue in cheek and not 30 sentences for you and say perhaps you are right

OC

as is said, i did not want, or mean to offend, i apologize if i did. forgive me, it was only a thought.