Times

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

You know? Thta actually is a very interesting point that even the world knows that Christians are to be in church. I had never really thought about it, but since I started going, my parents have actually expected me to go and continuing going with a smile on my face because I claim that title of Baptist... Sure, the world has many messed up morals, but they are always watching Christians... notice how they like to call us hypocrites? They look for one mistake to destroy that testimony...

The world knows that Christians are not supposed to drink.. that Christians shouldnt' listen to certain kinds of music.. that they should read their bible and pray all the time... that they should go to church, but loving and kind... be a "bible thumper", a "Jesus freak" and a "religious zealot"... they expect that of us.... Even the world knows what is right for a Christian...

How is that many times we do not? We should be in church whenever the doors are open.... Is there any really good excuse as to why not to go to church?.. other than maybe not having a biblical church to go to, but one should pray about as God will answer a seeking heart... Can anyone give one good excuse as to not go? Why miss out on the preaching of God's Word, giving tithe(such a wonderful thing), a church family.. etc..

No wonder we're at cross purposes. What some people call Nazirite Judaism, others call Christianity.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Do you think it is important to go to church? I mean an organized body of believers. Most churches have services Sunday am, Sunday pm and Wednesday pm. Although a lot are eliminating Sunday and Wednesday pm. What are your thoughts?

I basically believe what 'His Ambassador' said. When the new testament speaks of church it is referring to a group of called out believers. I believe either an organized church or a good Bible study group would be sufficient, depending on what is available and what can spiritually feed us the best.

My theory is that those who get the most out of organized church are those who make friends easily and love the socializing opportunities there. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong on that theory.

Personally I attend an organized church on Sunday morning, but if I could find a great Bible study to attend instead I might change to that, or add that.

Edited by Arben

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Whoops, sorry for the double post.

Edited by Arben

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Do you think it is important to go to church? I mean an organized body of believers. Most churches have services Sunday am, Sunday pm and Wednesday pm. Although a lot are eliminating Sunday and Wednesday pm. What are your thoughts?

I basically believe what 'His Ambassador' said. When the new testament speaks of church it is referring to a group of called out believers. I believe either an organized church or a good Bible study group would be sufficient, depending on what is available and what can spiritually feed us the best.

My theory is that those who get the most out of organized church are those who make friends easily and love the socializing opportunities there. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong on that theory.

Personally I attend an organized church on Sunday morning, but if I could find a great Bible study to attend instead I might change to that, or add that.

Right and paul went as far as to speak against the confusion of a large assembly....saying.....why is it that each time you assemble everyone is speaking in hyms and toungues and every1 has a prophecy or a new saying.....he said those things because the church was taking the route it has today......I think the term de-nomination says it all.....its just a title you have to have to be ligit with the government....the first real "churches" truly enjoyed ...real seperation of church and state. They were just hanging out and desireing each others company. While I agree that a "church" building gives a venue to accomplish this...I don't agree that it makes a person less spiritual to "not show up" sunday morning....sometimes you have to look past "biblical wording" (everyone keeps saying ""biblical) ...the bible is just a book with leters and numbers...it is dead without the spirit.....so before someone says ....what?!!! micen are you discounting the bible?!!!.....no read again...actually ..I'll write it again....in case you don't feel like scrolling back with your eyes right now.....THE BIBLE WITHOUT THE MIND OF THE SPIRIT IS USELESS. sorry bout the annoying caps....i wanted to make sure you dont misquote me tho. :wub:

Paul was not against large assemblies. He was against cross cultural assemblies where minorities were not given the benefit of explanation of what was going or the use of many languages without an interpreter. Don't reduce church to people hanging out. Although churches without the spirit probably equate to that in reality. But biblical church is much more and accomplishes a whole lot more than fellowship. The Bible is the WORD of GOD, it is powerful, it reads me. I'm not so sure your quoting yourself, "THE BIBLE WITHOUT THE MIND OF THE SPIRIT IS USELESS" is the best choice of words, or exactly what you are trying to communicate. But I will return the favor with my quote and let you guess what I mean. I hope to see you in church tonight, we're hanging out in a Revelation study and afterward we are going to be involved in a mentoring program over a cup of coffee at a local restaurant. Tomorrow night a couple of us guys are going to a prison ministry opportunity.

Paul was not against large assemblies. He was against cross cultural assemblies where minorities were not given the benefit of explanation of what was going or the use of many languages without an interpreter. Don't reduce church to people hanging out. Although churches without the spirit probably equate to that in reality. But biblical church is much more and accomplishes a whole lot more than fellowship. The Bible is the WORD of GOD, it is powerful, it reads me. I'm not so sure your quoting yourself, "THE BIBLE WITHOUT THE MIND OF THE SPIRIT IS USELESS" is the best choice of words, or exactly what you are trying to communicate. But I will return the favor with my quote and let you guess what I mean. I hope to see you in church tonight, we're hanging out in a Revelation study and afterward we are going to be involved in a mentoring program over a cup of coffee at a local restaurant. Tomorrow night a couple of us guys are going to a prison ministry opportunity.

Actually I'd say he was refering to speaking in unknown spiritual toungues.....not cross cultural.

You actually bit into my point very well, he wasn't opposed to large diverse gatherings....this was actually a display of the beauty of koinonia. Without clear direction a large crowd of multiple languages and culture can be confusing. So order was needed because God was trying to accomplish something productive and miraculous in their gathering. (by the way I'm not arguing against speaking in tongues) Pentecost was the birth of the church, not just the advent of the Holy Spirit abiding in the believer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Scripture verses that direct us to "gather together" are referring to fellowshipping with other Believers not endorsing becoming involved in a religious organization. The "Church" referred to in Acts is the Body of Believers not a religious organization. IMO the religious organization is responsible for deminishing the effectiveness of the Body to carry out the Great Commission. If the Body today was as effective as the Body shown in Acts (3,000 people added in one day) there would hardly be an unsaved person on the face of the Earth. But instead, the church (religious organization) has failed to teach the Body what it needs to know and instead has placed the emphasis on the religious organization and learning all it traditions, doctrine, rules, regulations and teaching it to pay homage to all its icons and heirarchy.

Frankly, I don't care what the world thinks Christians should do.

Wow. I am astounded at your broad knowledge of Church history. Were F.F. Bruce alive I am sure you could teach him a thing or two. :wub:

I believe in Acts the "Jerusalem Council" was in fact an organization, that's not IMO, but FACT. They had elders, bishops, etc. Ephesians clearly teaches an organized church. The notion that the church in Acts was just a couple of people having coffee in somebody livingroom is just plain wrong. The very early Church was actually quite organized (they had a network to receive and distribute offerings, for example) and had its share of schisms, just as today. Your view of the church is clearly colored by your opinion of the church. Many churches today are doing great works for the Lord in their part of the world. As far as 3,000 being added to the church in a day, you are right, that would be wonderful to see. But human nature is what it is and we can and should pray for revival and renewal. This is hardly the fault of the church but individuals within the church.

And for the UMPTEENTH time.......when I got saved, the first question my UNSAVED family members asked was, "What church will you go to?" Instinctively, the world knows a Christian belongs in church. So, like it not bud, it is important what the world thinks. It's called a "witness" to them. Perhaps if we as believers lived up to our calling, churches would be closer to God's ideal of what they should be.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

:wub: Marnie!

• Topic Count:  811