IGNORED

Doubts

Guest getdunn

Guest getdunn

although i was raised catholic, i have recently had serious doubts regarding my faith and religion in general. how can we all blindly believe in something like religion when there is zero actual proof that any of it exists?

look at the bible, is there any evidence that jesus is anything other than a wise philosopher and thinker. the books of the bible could have been written as propaganda in order to control people, and it has worked. i like to think that i'm a smart enough person and i don't believe anything without proof, so why should i believe in God?

don't be angry and hate me, just try and explain why i should believe, and i will be happy to listen.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

although i was raised catholic, i have recently had serious doubts regarding my faith and religion in general. how can we all blindly believe in something like religion when there is zero actual proof that any of it exists?

look at the bible, is there any evidence that jesus is anything other than a wise philosopher and thinker. the books of the bible could have been written as propaganda in order to control people, and it has worked. i like to think that i'm a smart enough person and i don't believe anything without proof, so why should i believe in God?

don't be angry and hate me, just try and explain why i should believe, and i will be happy to listen.

If these are burning questions in your mind, do yourself a favor a buy a book called...More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. It is short, direct, and enjoyable read that will practically challenge you. McDowell was writing a philosophy dissertation on the very things you suggest in your post and he will walk you through his conversion to faith in Christ in exactly as the Bible protrays Him. By the way it is an inexpensive book and a bestseller for 25 years or more.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

A good read as well is "What If The Bible Had Never Been Written" by D. James Kennedy.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Dear getdunn,

There is alot of proof for Jesus life from both Christian Biblical, historical and nonChrisitan sources. I think you should not make up your mind without reading them either. That would be an uninformed decision.

If you read about how soon the New Testament was written from those who knew Jesus and those who were still alive and knew his apostles, and these were who helped decided the cannon scriptures. It was to become chosen scriptures by men who knew Jesus and men who knew the apostles also who knew Him. There were still people living at that time who knew and could verify the truth of the Bible.

There are also writings called the Apostolic Fathers. There you will see writings from men who were martyred for Christ in the arenas for not worshipping Ceasar, but Christ as God, believing in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit only, in these letters by ones who knew the apostles and who knew the deciples of the apostles, you find also gracious loving and secure trechings that are the same as the Bible. This book can be bought in any Christian sotre or online also. Or if you go to a Catholic site, you will find the writings there under Apotolic Fathers, you will find Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp and more, please read that and your Bible.

There is a book of info called, The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict, by Josh Mc Dowell. You can buy it online or order it or get it at a Christian bookstore. What you will read will show you beyond doubt that Jesus was an is for real. There is alot of quotes from nonChristian sources as well. If you want to see who the Greeks phylosophers said about Him, you can find it ther and more historical evidence tohelp you very much. You can know if HE was Who HE said He was and Is, then you will need ot decide if you want to choose HIm and etrenal life, or choose rebellion from him and eternity away from HIm which means hell( it was made for demons and the devil not man, but if you choose it well your choice, I pray you choose Jesus choose LIFE)

If a person without reading evidence, decideds to be willfully ignorant of God, it is pure rebellion to God.

You can also know Jesus, by calling on HIm and praying to HIm, asking HIm to be in your life , you saviour and to be saved. HE will come to be with you and you will know HIm personally. That will leave no doubt of His Lordship.

If you seek for God with your whole heart, you WILL find Him.

There is fact to be found and you can find it from these sources. The Bible is historuically accurate and it has been proven so.

Also look at Christian Campus Crusade, they have alot of info and wiull talk with you can write them, too.

Faith is to believe in things not yet seen. You can have faith in God that HE will keep HIs word and give us eternal life in Jesus. Because you can know HIm and HIS Nature. But you can also know GOd personally and know the vast amount of eveidence there is to show Jesus is Who Catholic Christians and Christians say HE is. He is Lord God, ALmighty, Saviour, Friend SOn of GOd.

I will pray for you.

PLease take time to learn before you make any decisions.

We are maent to be born again in the Spirit in Christ living in us, the Holy SPIrit of God will help in this.

HAve you read the book of John? HAve you asked God to be Yours? and if not why not ,so you can really know HIm for yourself.

Praying for you.

Take care,

elkie

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Greetings getdunn:

Actually you are in a good place. C.S. Lewis said that "The religious life entered into without investigation, has no more merit than other kind of particular life entered into without investigation."

You must investigate, and be brutally intellectually honest with yourself.

May I point out that the normal way academic historians judge whether an even of the ancient world actaully occured is by the number of first hand ("I saw"), second hand ("My brother saw"), and third hand ("My mother's friend saw") reports. And the appearances of Jesus after the Crucifixion are the best attested facts of the ancient world. There are more first hand, more second hand, and more third hand reports of the Resurrection of Jesus than for ANY OTHER EVENT OF THE ANCIENT WORLD.

Now a person may utterly reject the idea that Jesus rose from the dead, but in doing so, if we wish to remain intellectually consistent, and 'brutally intellectually honest' with ourselves, then we have to reject ALL knowledge of the ancient world. We cannot believe Caesar conquered Gaul (one first hand report, and a few third hand reports), or that Hannibal crossed the Alps (only second and third hand reports, I believe).

Yet you seem to be ready to utterly discard the idea of Christianity sans investigation, based solely on newly arisen vague 'feelings' of doubt.

Come, come now! You ought to bring more to your intellectual buffet than that, my good fellow! Buck up then, and get to studying more broadly. You're in the same journey I took when I quite a young fellow. The intellectual debates are really most rewarding. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Please feel free to contact me by Pm (edited by moderator), or by just posting here; whatever feels right to you.

Guest godsthumper2

Another really good book to read is the Answer book! Wow it is really good. Some of it was over my head but like you I had questions that I felt really needed answers too. Hum it can be found on this web page..www.masterbooks.net. It was recommended to me by Dr. Hovind. That is also a great place to find good ole fashion fact books. Dr.Hovind web page good place!

In Christ.. thumper

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

How did you come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no evidence that God exists, or that the accounts in the Bible are true. What in your mind constitutes proof?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

Hi, getdunn,

You have received a host of excellent replies.

I just wanted to add that it is not religion what you should be concerned with but God Himself. He is knowable to you if you let Him. Religion is man's way to search for and worship the divine but The Bible, instead, is the Word of The Real and Only God. I tend to define Christianity not by its different and numerous denominations but by the brotherhood of people who see Jesus as Saviour and have a live relationship with Him that permeates every aspect of their lives.

A particular Christian denomination can be at times confusing in terms of Bible interpretation, doctrinal position and practices, but we are accountable to God on our own and He has given His Word as a guide and a tool to discern, learn and grow.

May Our Lord Jesus Touch your heart and Set you free from doubt.