• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Moderation is a term that some people use to defend a relaxed approach instead of a more stringent legalistic interpretation of acceptable behavior. Does the Bible teach moderation or is everything simply codefied?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

The word say "To let your moderation be known unto every man" Why do it say that? It is because the world is looking at us Christians living in this world and when they see us in the way we are living it is a witness to them that we are waiting on something and that is our blessed hope in Christ awaiting his glorious hope. the world see us and see's that we hear our God and that we obey what He tells us to so He must be real to them or they wouldn't serve and obey Him.

But we do not run to the same riotiousness as the world does we abstain from fleshly lust and worldly pleasures because our blessed hope in titus teaches us this. Just my interpretation of scriptures and don't think it has any thing to do with what they call being legalistic at all.

OC

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/13/1946

Moderation is a term that some people use to defend a relaxed approach instead of a more stringent legalistic interpretation of acceptable behavior. Does the Bible teach moderation or is everything simply codefied?

I think black & white is a problem today. Too many people are trying to white wash the Bible and it's commands. "It doesn't apply today." is a popular saying now.

Homosexually is a good example. How can anyone say they are a Christian, and they believe the bible, say Homosexuallity is not a sin. Moses in the book of Leviticus condemns such action, Paul in his letter to the Romans does the same.

The Bible says our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Yet many are destroying that temple with alcohol smoking and drugs. Many of these are so-called Christians.

We have taken God out of our schools and can't understand why our children are so rebellious. Activities in most households today revolve around what the kids want.

The Bible says to "spare the rod and spoil the child." Some feel that does not mean to spank a child, we are to disipline them in other ways. Many kids today are not disiplined at all. :) If you doubt this just look aropund in the stores at how the parents handle their kids. Or better yet look around and see how the kids handle the parents.

Most peole will agree that drugs are a major problem in the US. But we elect drug users to public office.

The Bible says no liar will see the kingdom of God, yet we elect liars to be president.

I suppose I could go on aon but I'll stop now. I'm sure I'll catch it from some. I think we should get back to the Bible and start taking it a bit more literally. Whatever we're doing now sure "ain't" working.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I guess you would have to say it depends on the issue

Guest jckduboise

Luke 12:18 The he said, This is what I'll do, I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."

12:20 But God said to him, "you fool. This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?

12:21 "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich with God."

Here it looks as if God is angry with this man not because he had some but he wanted more..more riches, more fun, more more more....there is no moderation in that.

I do not believe that God expects us to go without. I believe that everything He put on this earth was made for the pleasure of man. It is how we use it and if it puts us in bondage by using it.

Jesus drank wine. He drank in moderation of course...thus telling me that I can have an occasional glass of wine..it is the drunkeness that wine causes that harms me.

Now I know that for myself I cannot use alcohol or any drug for that matter because of the bondage my life was in using it. What I did during those days in that bondage was awful to say the least...I was a glutton when it came to having those substances and my sin was great big. So I cannot today even moderately use the alcohol not even a sip.

Misuse of moderation leads to: gluttony, greed, crime, addictions, foolishness, on and on.....

Yes I do believe that the bible teaches moderation

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

David, I think it all depends where the term moderation is used. one cannot sin in moderation. Some will say that drinking is okay as long as it is done in moderation. Maybe so, but it is a toe in the door which satan has opened and one has to be careful that satan doesn't slam the door on you once you have entered. I know becauase I was in the liquor industry for years and years before I made my commitment to follow Jesus and I was partially under the influence of some sort of booze nearly every day of my life. Kinda like an occupational hazard. However the holy spirit worked on me and quenched the desire for boozing and a lot of other bad habits I had.

Jacky said,

I do not believe that God expects us to go without. I believe that everything He put on this earth was made for the pleasure of man. It is how we use it and if it puts us in bondage by using it

Well, Jacky, that's not what the bible says. In Rev 4:11. it says.

Thou art worthy O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power; for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.

God did not create the earth for man, but created man for the earth and gave him dominion over it and before that everything was edible for man including herbs and so forth, but all that changed after the fall and sin entered the human race.

No one can lie in moderation or commit adultery in moderation. When you repent, that's it, you stop what you are doing if it in your mind is sinful, you don't just cut it down a bit. The same applies to preaching, IMO, A preacher should give the listeners both barrels in a sermon not a moderate sermon.

Nah moderate is not good enough for the Father. once again IMO.

Guest jckduboise

Allow me to rephrase eric so that no one is confused by my wording. I believe that the Lord put things on this earth as His desire which includes man. I also believe that as the Lord said you can eat anything in this garden except from this tree...

Because of the paths that your life and my life has taken us we know what we can and cannot use even in moderation. But just as God made us all with unique fingerprints the rest of our make up is unique as well..what has become sin for me because of my choices in life regarding alcohol does not mean that a person who drinks an occasional glass of wine is committing a sin.

I used examples only. I was not in anyway advocating going against what God tells us is sin. God says do not be a drunkard. He does not say don't have a sip of wine.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

would someone tell me what IMO means?

IMO--In My Opinion

IMHO--In My Honest Opinion

OC

Guest jckduboise