IGNORED

Christian meditation, what is it, and how do I do it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I have studied a lot about the spiritual disciplines recognized generally as the way to exercise godliness. Meditation, is the hardest for me. However, I find myself unconsciously participating in such when I am studying a passage intently. Is meditation concentrating on Scripture or trying to connect with the presence of God? Or a little bit of both?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/11/1966

Do you sit around and think up questions to stir our minds into action? I would have to say personally that it is a bit of both for me. Thank you for waking me up once again. :emot-lwt:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I have studied a lot about the spiritual disciplines recognized generally as the way to exercise godliness. Meditation, is the hardest for me. However, I find myself unconsciously participating in such when I am studying a passage intently. Is meditation concentrating on Scripture or trying to connect with the presence of God? Or a little bit of both?

I think it is both also. I also find that if I sit quietly and wait on God, usually alone with little distraction, and wait for His presence to be made known to me, it comes in different ways. I am not saying some sort of emotional experience, I really can't describe it, but I do find myself energized and at peace after this.

Merton also speaks much of Christian meditation, he often used our wonder at God's creation, just sitting in the woods and realizing that it is all part of God's creation, really how awesome is that! God's hands were on that plant, that bug, that bird, He designed it all, just thinking about that to me is also Christian meditation.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

The Hebrew word customarily translated "meditation" means to 'mumble aloud,' that is to fill your mind with the Word of God, not to 'empty your mind' as in Eastern meditation disciplines.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I like the way you put that, Leonard.

Basically the idea I get is just to saturate ourselves in the Word, to seek His presence and His instruction.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I often find myself thinking through all my relationships personal and ministry-wise and what God would have me say and do. Before I realize it, I'm praying, then I'm thinking of my own life and what God is doing and then that breaks into praise. I recently move to a house with a back deck that looks at a small patch of woods. I stare up into the trees blowing in the breeze and my mind takes off into whatever it seems the Spirit brings to mind. Is that meditation? or a short Sabbath?

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

that sounds like rest and relaxation in the Spirit!

Meditation in Christianity invites an active mind and not a passive one. Then as you actively think and ponder the scripture or The person of God it is God by His Spirit that begins to make real what we are considering. The Lord reveals himself to us as we put ourselves in the position to receive his revealing. But nowhere does the scripture teach that meditation is an emptying of the mind. Christian meditation is far from what is taught by New Age enthusiasts. It is Satan who wants a blank sheet to work with.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/12/1964

The Hebrew word customarily translated "meditation" means to 'mumble aloud,' that is to fill your mind with the Word of God, not to 'empty your mind' as in Eastern meditation disciplines.

Thanks for giving such a simple reply to what can be a very complex issue. Short, sharp and Truthful.

Regards,

Ben. :emot-pray::emot-hug::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::):thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Well the difference in the meditation disciplines derives from our radically different views of God, or 'the ultimate' in Eastern thought. In Judeao-Christian thought, God is rational, personal, and has BEING. In Eastern thought, 'the ultimate' does not really exist. The highest goal is to be one with oblivion; to become the void. To have being itself cease.

When God 'fills the universe' yet personally cares about us, our meditation will also have to do with 'filling'.

When 'god' (if you can even properly use that word) is nonexistence, then your meditation will be to try to empty yourself.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Christian Meditation: The How-To Manual

Phi 4:6 Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

Phi 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Phi 4:8 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable--if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise--dwell on these things.

Phi 4:9 Do what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

:wub: