• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

"Too heavenly minded to be any earthly good." I have heard this statement said about some people. Why would someone say that about someone? What do they mean by this slur? Is it possible to be to heavenly minded?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It probably refers to people who shift every conversation over to Jesus.

Of course, it's essential to talk about Jesus and the saving work He accomplished on the cross. But getting too overly-pious in the public square isn't going to win many converts.

It's obvious that if we are going to reach out to a hurting world, we need to care for people's temporal needs as well as their heavenly ones. (Case in point: When you go out for dinner, don't leave a tract instead of a tip. Yes, that waitress needs salvation more than she needs money, but she also needs money to help pay the rent. Don't be a cheapskate. Be the opposite.)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

I don't think it is possible to be "too heavenly minded".

I think if a person is of "no earthly good" they have their mind on something other than heaven.

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Maranatha :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I've both heard this and seen it in action. To me it represents a misunderstanding of what it truly means to be heavenly-minded.

1Co 2:16 For "Who has known the mind of the Lord so that he can advise him?" However, we have the mind of Christ.

too many Christians have a Hollywood impression of what it means to have the mind of Christ. They seem to think it means to be serious all the time, or only talk in "religious" terms. But in the New Testament we see Jesus at parties, Jesus with mass appeal, Jesus as attractive. No one ever accused Him of being a snob, or stuck-up, or overly religious. If we are truly "heavenly-minded", that is, having the "mind of Christ", then our goals, attitudes, and actions should be like His: gracious, merciful, joyful, loving, fierce, gentle, etc. It is NOT to be little Pharisees: stuffy, sticky, obnoxious. No one should be able to say of us "Some people bring happiness where ever they go. He (or she) brings happiness when ever he goes." We should be so good at the Joy of the Lord that it draws people to the the Gospel. As David said

Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from Your presence, and take not Your Holy Spirit from me.

Psa 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.

Psa 51:13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways; and sinners shall be converted to You.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

"Too heavenly minded to be any earthly good." I have heard this statement said about some people. Why would someone say that about someone? What do they mean by this slur? Is it possible to be to heavenly minded?

The previous posted Scriptures are to the point and I agree that you cannot be too heavenly minded..

and it would be my guess that the one who is saying this does not want to hear about that which pertains to Life and Godliness...

or they do not understand how a Christian can be so heavenly minded..

or perhaps the person who is talking about Heavenly things does not walk in them and is only saying words which the hearer knows by instinct is not real...

perhaps.... :emot-hug:

What is the point you wanted to make?

I don't think I quite covered what you are trying to say about it.. :)

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Yes, I do think it comes from a different understanding of what it means to be heavenly minded...for instance, if I were to sit around at my job all day daydreaming about heaven and not getting any work done, that statement would apply to me. Here's a little demonstration:

Boss: Iryssa, could you step into my office please?

Iryssa: *hesitantly* Sure...

B: I've noticed your productivity has dropped in the past several months...is there something going on that would explain this?

I: Well...not really. I've just been thinking...

B: Thinking? About what?

I: Well, do you believe in heaven?

B: umm...

I: I do. It just occurred to me while I was entering account balances one day, that this accounting stuff really doesn't have any eternal value.

B: As in...

I: It's not gonna matter once I get to heaven!

B: Right...well, did it occur to you that it might matter right now?

I: But it doesn't! I figure I'm spending my time much more productively by just sitting there thinking about heaven and the Bible all day.

B: Well, perhaps that means you need to re-consider your choice in carreer, because around here, we do accounting from nine to five. In fact, I really think now would be an opportune moment for you to choose a new career path.

I: Does this mean...?

B: I'm sorry to say this, but I'm gonna have to let you go. I simply can't keep paying someone for not doing work.

Okay, maybe a bit of an extreme example, but you get the picture. It would be the same if the young woman in this situation went around said office all day practically harassing people in her attempts to evangelize. We are not of the world but we are still in it, and we have to make sure, as rfw said, that we don't end up walking around like over-religious pharisees.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you Iryssa, that is the point I could not seem to get to come to mind ... :)

*grin* glad I could be of service.

And suddenly I have a great idea for a youth group one-act teaching skit :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

If you ask me I think its a cheap slur meaning this:

To heavenly minded to be any earthly good

"To acting good to do any thing sinful for fun or earthly pleasures"

That means a person will say that to make a person who does not want to sin with them feel guilty, or make them feel because they do not want to join the "Fun" that they are no good, or goody, goody to join them in there fleshly desire to ruin their life or to feel good in doing something sinful.

If you ask me I think its a cheap slur meaning this:

To heavenly minded to be any earthly good

"To acting good to do any thing sinful for fun or earthly pleasures"

That means a person will say that to make a person who does not want to sin with them feel guilty, or make them feel because they do not want to join the "Fun" that they are no good, or goody, goody to join them in there fleshly desire to ruin their life or to feel good in doing something sinful.

I suppose it could mean that....depending on the situational context. I've mostly heard it in contexts like the ones I mentioned in my example post. I might have heard it in the context you're talking about once...and then only from a highschool student who liked to run his mouth off. :)