• New American Standard Bible
    • New Revised Standard Version
    • New American Bible
    • Contemporary English Version
    • The Living Bible
    • The Message

Guest coolwaters

King James Version

Description: Dating from 1611, this is considered the classic English translation of the Bible. Because of its archaic language, it can be difficult to understand; however, it is loved for its familiarity and poetic beauty. This version attempts to translate each word of the original Greek and Hebrew, placing mild emphasis on word order. It often uses long sentences and incorporates idioms and metaphors, making it best suited for advanced reading levels.

Example excerpt: And he saith unto them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

New International Version

Description: This popular translation seeks a balance between emphasis on word-for-word translation and emphasis on meaning. It attempts to preserve the literal text, while bringing forth the concepts and ideas of the message.

Example excerpt: "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

New Living Translation

Description: This authoritative text is written with a fresh, clear style, making it enjoyable to read. It is a leading thought-for-thought translation that accurately communicates the meaning of the original Greek and Hebrew texts. It translates the original Greek or Hebrew into modern English, placing more importance on total meaning than on individual words.

Example excerpt: Jesus called out to them, "Come, be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!"

New King James Version

Description: This translation updates the language of the King James Version while preserving its basic literary structure. It attempts to translate each word of the original Greek and Hebrew, but placing only mild emphasis on word order. This version often uses long sentences and incorporates idioms and metaphors, making it best suited for advanced reading levels.

Example excerpt: Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."

New American Standard Bible

Description: This version translates the original texts as literally as possible, preserving word-for-word equivalency and original sentence structure in English wherever possible.

Example excerpt: And He said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

New Revised Standard Version

Description: This translation is sponsored by the National Council of Churches of Christ. It generally encompasses a literal word-for-word philisophy. This version attempts to translate each word of the original Greek and Hebrew, placing mild emphasis on word order. It often uses long sentences and incorporates idioms and metaphors, making it best suited for advanced reading levels.

Example excerpt: He said to them, "Come after me, and I will make you the fishers of men."

New American Bible

Description: This is the official translation of the Roman Catholic Church in America. This fairly literal translation includes the deuterocanonical books in all editions. This version attempts to translate each word of the original Greek and Hebrew, placing emphasis on word order. It often uses long sentences and incorporates idioms and metaphors, making it best suited for advanced reading levels.

Example excerpt: He said to them, "Come after me, and I will make you the fishers of men."

Contemporary English Version

Description: This translation avoids difficult vocabulary and sentence structures to produce a straightforward translation that's understandable to the modern reader. It translates into modern English meanings and concepts, placing more importance on total meaning than on individual words.

Example excerpt: Jesus said to them, "Come with me! I will teach you how to bring in people instead of fish."

The Living Bible

Description: This translation communicates the essential message of God's Word to the average English reader. It simplifies theological language and expands it when necessary so it's easy to understand.

Example excerpt: Jesus called out, "Come along with me and I will show you how to fish for the souls of men

The Message

Description: This translation is a colorful paraphrase that seeks to capture the message of the original text in a creative and impactful way. It simplifies the message and expands it when necessary so it's easier to understand.

Example excerpt: Jesus said to them, "Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  520
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1974

My possible new favorite is the ESV. It is similiar to the NIV from my first few reads. In order for me:

NASB, NIV, NKJV,....

I absolutely refuse to read the KJV because of all the KJV-onlyites that insist the NIV and all other modern translations are inspired by Satan himself. Where is the love, people?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

WOW!!!

Endure4salvation!!! I love the ESV!! Its absolutely a very accurate and readable translation. Having J.I. Packer as the general editor is cool as well!!

I agree that the Ruckmanite KJV-onlyists really get under my skin. Its not that their arguments hold any water...its their absolute dedication to a very crude and offensive man. I have yet to see any of them make a coherent logical argument for the superiority of the KJV. Even if you believe the majority texts are the best Erasmus when compiling the TR still deviated on multiple occassions from the majority texts choosing in a large segment of the Book of Revelation to translate from the latin to greek. The KJV translators then translated the latin-greek to english. Not exactly the best situation. However, the Elizabethan English is majestic and many choose it for its history and its use of the MT inspired TR. It is an overall good translation but uses much archaic language that I find a hindrance.

I guess my choices would be: ESV, NLT, NKJV, NIV

I have a a hard time reading the NASB because it is translated too close to the Greek. In my opinion it is the best word for word translation but also one that is hard to read. I do enjoy the NLT and think after some revisions it will become my favorite.

I used the NIV for years but there are just some very poorly translated verses that really give my heartburn. I wish they would do a big revision soliciting suggestions from the general Church body. Having said that it is still a very good translation.

Bottom line is that whatever translation you choose you should wear that Bible out. Read it, memorize it and allow the Word of God to change you body, soul and spirit.

- Steve

Guest shadow2b

Bottom line is that whatever translation you choose you should wear that Bible out. Read it, memorize it and allow the Word of God to change you body, soul and spirit

YOOOOOO bro.steve---- :t2::D:D:blink::wub::t2::t2:

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  891
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Having J.I. Packer as the general editor is cool as well!!

Wow - I realy enjoy J. I. Packer :blink: have you read his book 'Knowing God'? it's a very good read.

In Christ

Guessa

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  891
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Bottom line is that whatever translation you choose you should wear that Bible out. Read it, memorize it and allow the Word of God to change you body, soul and spirit

YOOOOOO bro.steve---- :t2::D:D:blink::wub::t2::t2:

Yep I agree with shadow...good one Steve :D

The first bible I ever read was a 'Good News' and came to salvation through reading it Amen! altho I dont use it now..but God can use anything to bring a person to Christ irrespective of what we think.

In Him

Guessa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

I can't say I have a preference over the ones mentioned, but I mostly use the KJV. It is and has been the most popular for many years and a lot of material - concordances, encyclopedias, Christian books are keyed to it. I do not subscribe to the KJV onlyers, they seem to forget the "original languages" were Hebrew, Chaldean, Aramaic and Greek for the NT. Also, how do you preach from the KJV to the Chinese or other nationalities unless some translation is made to THEIR language. Thus "Strong's Concordance" has been a valuable help for me. All versions except the "original" transcripts are by necessity a "translation" and thus susceptible to error.

One Translation that was not mentioned was the "Complete Jewish Bible" by David H. Stern. If you have not read it yet, it would be worth your while. One difference I have found with it is that consistently the verb "faith" is translated "trust", which is a more accurate translation than any other.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Guest American_girl

My favorite is The Message. It's really easy for me to understand. I'm not dissing other translations...that's just my translation of choice.

My family is mostly in to King James, but I've never truly been able to understand it, so I don't read it alot. It's a wonderful translation, but as a 13 year old girl, I can't understand it well.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Wow - I realy enjoy J. I. Packer :ph34r: have you read his book 'Knowing God'? it's a very good read.

Guessa,

I absolutely love the book Knowing God. I highly recommend it for anyone desiring to have a deeper walk with the Master.

Packer is a General in the Master's service.

- Steve

Guest shadow2b

I absolutely refuse to read the KJV because of all the KJV-onlyites that insist the NIV and all other modern translations are inspired by Satan himself. Where is the love, people?

YA know E4S------THAT isNOT a very "good" reason for NOT reading the KJV Bible-----I am NOT a KJV-only---either BUT "that" is the only one I read to study with, I can use any other one for more clarification sometimes, BUT NOT to read the KJV just because someone believes "that" one is the best translation is just kind-a- silly{imho}------

I am SO tired of hearing the phrase"where's the love people" any & every time someone makes a statement{sometimes very forcefully} about anything & everything, I just wanna be "SICK" to my stomach------"where's the love??--where's the love??---where's the love??"--------

EVERYONE has an OPINION & they're ENTITLED to that opinion, but to continually use that phrase{which implies they have NO LOVE} is "OVER-USED-& ABUSED" IMHO------- :x: :t2: