artsylady

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think it matters whether one is born gay or not. Homosexuality itself is not harmful unless you believe that God does not approve of it. For people who do not believe in God, I don't think it's fair to treat them differently on the basis of their sexuality, since this treatment would be based on a position which cannot be justified to them. For this reason I think that Churches should have the right to refuse to sanction whatever relationships they wish, but that the state should adopt a secular stance and afford equal recognition to both same and opposite-sex couples.

Edited by doubting_tommy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I don't think it matters whether one is born gay or not. Homosexuality itself is not harmful unless you believe that God does not approve of it. For people who do not believe in God, I don't think it's fair to treat them differently on the basis of their sexuality, since this treatment would be based on a position which cannot be justified to them. For this reason I think that Churches should have the right to refuse to sanction whatever relationships they wish, but that the state should adopt a secular stance and afford equal recognition to both same and opposite-sex couples.

I think gay 'couples' should have rights to inherit and to share a partner's benefits and life. There can be no real marriage between members of the same sex however....the very ceremony is a disgusting act.

I think gay 'couples' should have rights to inherit and to share a partner's benefits and life. There can be no real marriage between members of the same sex however....the very ceremony is a disgusting act.

I don't see why there cannot be a civil marriage ceremony. The couple would still remain unmarried in the eyes of God, but that's hardly the business of the government. (I assume that this is how it works for divorced couples in the eyes of the Catholic Church, for example)

(and while I personally would not be disgusted by the ceremony, I don't think disgust should serve as a basis for legislation, or lack thereof)

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Churches are becoming more secular so it's only a matter of time before gay folk get what they want.

Churches are becoming more secular so it's only a matter of time before gay folk get what they want.

I don't know any gay couples who want to marry in Churches (although my understanding is that some Churches do marry gay couples and that others may conduct some sort of blessing ceremonies, but obviously most people here wouldn't regard these as proper Churches.)

I don't think there's any danger of a Church being forced to marry a gay couple against its will however. If you look at the case of people who have been divorced, they are free to enter into another civil marriage, but a Catholic Church would refuse to marry them again and it can do so without any legal penalties.