• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

So does God hear/answer the prayers of sinners? That was the question that was put to me in the chatroom. I apologise to that person for taking this length of time to post the thread as requested. I thought about it, and my natural instinct was to say yes, of course He must do, because it is as a sinner that we come to Him to seek forgiveness in Jesus name. So based on that thinking alone, I said yes. Then the following verse was pointed out to me:

"Now we know that God heareth not sinners."

The full verse reads:

"Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth His will, him He heareth."

The first thing i'd like to point out Dave, is that to get a better understanding of what any particular scripture passage is meaning it is advantageous to read it in its entirety, possibly the entire chapter, or said Book. It can be a misleading thing to focus in on a few short words, thus it may lead to misinterpretation.

Now I'm an Old Testament student, so when it comes to the new testament I generally have to advance my brain about 4,000 years, to catch up with everyone else!. :24: So what I did Dave, was get out a book entitled "Exposition of the Gospel of John" by Arthur W Pink, and heres what he had to say about that verse.

"This verse like many another, MUST NOT be divorced from its setting. Taken absolutely, the words "God heareth not sinners," are not true. God "heard" the cry of Ishmael (Genesis 21 v 17); He "heard" the groanings of the children of Israel in Egypt, long before He redeemed them (Exodus 2 v 24); He "heard" and answered the prayer of the wicked Manasseh (II Chron 33 v 10-13). But reading this verse in the light of its context its meaning is quite apparent. The Pharisees had said of Christ, "We know that this man is a sinner" (v24). Now says the beggar, "We know that God heareth not sinners," which was one of their pet doctrines. Thus, once more, did the one on trial turn the word of his judges against themselves. If Christ were an impostor as the avowed, then how came it that God has assisted Him to work this miracle?

In short Dave, it is not God who said He did not hear the prayer of sinners, this was man twisting God's Word, in an apparent attempt to make it seem to mean something else. We can see by God's example throughout the Bible that He does hear the prayers of sinners. For if God does not hear the prayers of a sinner, then He wouldn't hear anyone! Do you get what I mean? :24:

Help me out here folks, I've got three different studies running round in this wee head of mine, and it's starting to turn to mush :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I agree with you! May I add another thing? I do believe that God hears the prayers of repentant sinners. He hears all things. But he will not pay attention to those prayers those who are unknown to Him...those outside the family of God.

It's at the point of faith that a sinner repents, God sure hears that! After all, the Holy Spirit is right there, doing His job of convicting!

But I believe that those prayers of the unrepentant unrighteous are unheeded. That is why we, as King's Kids need to pray for those needs of people and for the souls of those people who are lost.

Blessings! :emot-hug:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/04/1955

I agree with you! May I add another thing? I do believe that God hears the prayers of repentant sinners. He hears all things. But he will not pay attention to those prayers those who are unknown to Him...those outside the family of God.

It's at the point of faith that a sinner repents, God sure hears that! After all, the Holy Spirit is right there, doing His job of convicting!

But I believe that those prayers of the unrepentant unrighteous are unheeded. That is why we, as King's Kids need to pray for those needs of people and for the souls of those people who are lost.

Blessings! :emot-hug:

Amen FA :24:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I don't believe he was twisting it...

He was stating what was taught to the Jews in the Old Testament...

You know because you said you are an Old Testament buff...

that God sent Prophets to talk to the people using them because the people were afraid of God...because they knew they were sinners and needed a spokesperson to mediate for them...

and another intersting thought about it...this child had just been weaned so he was quite small..perhaps that has something to do with it...but I think the "bigger picture" of Gods plan and purpose has more to do with it than any of that..

and another thought... :)

when I have sinned one of the things that happens to me is I do not have "Gods ear" like I do when I am in right relationship with Him...

He hears me the same way a parent hears a disobedient child...

we don't "hear" them...we do whats best for them..until they repent..then we listen

Not a scholar here...just a Christian with limited knowledge of Scripture...

so those are my thoughts

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

we don't "hear" them...we do whats best for them..until they repent..then we listen

Yes! :)

But the topic is whether God hears a sinner's prayer. You are right---He hears His own children. He takes time to lead them, to listen to them, to discipline them, to teach them, to bless them. He makes no time for those who are not His own children. He seeks after them by His Holy Spirit, but He doesn't hearken after their petitions, but, thank God Almighty, He hears a repentant heart!

When we are called by His name, we have an ear with the Father. That is one of the perks! Amen! :o

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

That was not the important part of the post this was..

I don't believe he was twisting it...

He was stating what was taught to the Jews in the Old Testament...

You know because you said you are an Old Testament buff...

that God sent Prophets to talk to the people using them because the people were afraid of God...because they knew they were sinners and needed a spokesperson to mediate for them...

and another intersting thought about it...this child had just been weaned so he was quite small..perhaps that has something to do with it...but I think the "bigger picture" of Gods plan and purpose has more to do with it than any of that..

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/19/1985

i agree he does hear the prayer of sinners otherwise how are we to be saved?

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Thanks tah, so I guess it's the repentance that the sinner has in their heart, the true desire to be right with God.

*psst tah," Easy on the Old Testament buff label, i've spent two years here trying to appear studpid, and it's working, you go saying words like "buff" they'll think i'm smart or summit :emot-wave:

i agree he does hear the prayer of sinners otherwise how are we to be saved?

I think in a nutshell this is the best and simplelist way to view it, thanks Lady G.

Hope you're reading Dave and that we've helped.

God Bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

It depends what you speak of: Prayers of Repentance [2 Chronicles 7:14] or Prayers of Petition [1 Timothy 2:1,2].

Regardless, sin separates man from God as the prophet Isaiah pointed out. He wrote, "Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. [isaiah 59:1, 2]

We did a study not too long ago on the subject. It is titled "Is GOD really listening to me?", Effective Prayer and addresses the prayers of all.

May the Lord Bless you all richly,

Wayne

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/19/1985

Wow someone finally agreed with me.....*runs outside to check if its raining only 100 degree weather* awwwwww.....false hope. :wub::emot-hug::emot-hug: