cupajoy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

how do you go about finding out if someone is possessed or oppressed ? for the past few months I have been really growing in my walk with God and he has been showing me some things, mostly words come up. but he has shown me something and I'm not sure how to go about finding out. Then my mind is trying to find the logic, I know I don't need the logic I just need to be right with GOD and do his will.

Edited by cupajoy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Why do you ask?

People who are possessed usually know they're possessed. This doesn't mean they'll necessarily want to tell you, but they themselves, know. One way you can tell they aren't possessed is if they're a Christian. We're indwelt by Holy Spirit. They're a no vacancy sign out.

Oppression's the outward influence of a person by a demon. I believe even Christians can become oppressed if we choose to believe the lies that the enemy enevitably throws our way. We, as Christians, should in no way put up with this. "Resist the devil and he shall flee."

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Actually the New Testament text does not make this distinction. It is a differentiation theorized by some who deal in casting out devils, but the New Testament Greek JUST USES ONE WORD. Basically it means 'demoned'.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Does it really matter? The same thing is prescribed: Get right with God and get delivered in the name of Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

it is something that came to mind about someone else from church while I was praying and i'm not sure about it.

Actually the New Testament text does not make this distinction. It is a differentiation theorized by some who deal in casting out devils, but the New Testament Greek JUST USES ONE WORD. Basically it means 'demoned'.

I stand corrected. :emot-wave: I haven't done in-depth study on this subject, just what I've heard. I know you're a professional, Leonard, so I trust you. :emot-wave:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Christians can't be possessed but can be opressed. An Unbeliever can be both.

Blessings

candi

it is something that came to mind about someone else from church while I was praying and i'm not sure about it.

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :emot-wave: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :24: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

Right! :24: My daughter has been a Christian since she was 7 years old, but she had to undergo deliverance for numerous demonic interferences. she is serving the Lord with all she's got now! Praise Jesus! We don't use that terminology, "oppressed" or "possessed" much anymore. A believer can be plagued just as well as a non-believer, because it all depends on the ground we give up. My daughter had been hurt badly by friends as a teen, and this set up a stronghold in her spirit that the devil used. Christians are just as susceptible to having strongholds as non-believers are!

Blessings! :24:

That is why we must have a careful walk with Jesus, weighing all things in the Holy Spirit and running all things through the Cross.

Well, like I said earlier, if Leonard says possessed/oppressed is the same thing, I believe him. :24: We have no Biblical instance of a Christian being possessed/oppressed/demoned. That's why I believe it can't happen. There's no room if we're indwelt by HS. If this person's a Christian, they aren't possessed/oppressed/demoned. Not everyone who goes to church is a Christian, though.

Right! :24: My daughter has been a Christian since she was 7 years old, but she had to undergo deliverance for numerous demonic interferences. she is serving the Lord with all she's got now! Praise Jesus! We don't use that terminology, "oppressed" or "possessed" much anymore. A believer can be plagued just as well as a non-believer, because it all depends on the ground we give up. My daughter had been hurt badly by friends as a teen, and this set up a stronghold in her spirit that the devil used. Christians are just as susceptible to having strongholds as non-believers are!

Blessings! :24:

That is why we must have a careful walk with Jesus, weighing all things in the Holy Spirit and running all things through the Cross.

Yes, that's a good point, Axe. :24: No matter the terminology, Christians can believe lies of the enemy and become plagued by demonic influences.