IGNORED

Women: Where Do You Draw The Line On Looks?

Akiko

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

Kabowd: Good point(s)! You brought up quite a few things that I'd never thought about before... thanks for taking the time to post such a legnthy reply. Tre awesome.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

As my mother used to say, "If the barn needs painting, paint it."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

I say keep it practical and keep it simple.

I've met millionaires who walk around in casual wear and jandals. I've also met people on a modest income who can design a vogue outfit for under $20.00. :whistling:

I've also met hairdressers and cosmetic sales personel, who have brought up concerns about some of the damaging chemicals in certain products.

But whatever we do and however we live, it ought to be as unto the Lord, to bring him glory.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/19/1985

modest is always good..... :whistling::24::24::emot-hug::emot-hug:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I think modest dress is important we certainly shouldn't be revealing as women in the Lord. I think all of the scriptures in the word of God places the emphasis on dressing the hidden man of the heart being a gentle and quiet spirit which is of great price to the Lord. The scriptural text apostle Paul uses the outward beauty like make up jewelry clothings fixing our hair up etc. in order to show us the spiritual dress we should put on first before all the outward beauty.

We should have a spirit of grace about us in which others can see Christ within our lives and we should dress our selves with a gentle and quiet spirit in which God can use we are to dress ourselves with a spirit of humility before the world. In which attention is drawn to the spirit within us more than our outward appearance. And we should be modest in this way so people can see Christ instead of us as a person in our dressing up and so many women make this mistake.

But I think this is the modesty in which we are to have and not so much how much make up we wear or the type clothing we wear or how well we fix our hair up. But we are to be modest so that the emphasis is placed on the spirit of God that dwells within our hearts can be seen by all. God is able to use this type of women for His glory in which is humble being modest before the Lord and not the world. And it is in this way that our moderation can be seen by all. As they see our conservatism in how we present ourselves as the people of God. We carry ourselves in a manner that is respectful to God and not we ourselves or for others to be drawn to us. It is really sad in today's society how the young people are dressing while they are flirting and trying to attract a guy. Outward appearances want last but the spirit of God within us will and we should always put the empahsis on that

IMO

oc

Guest christiansloveisrael
I'm curious to people's thoughts on this-- although it's more of a issue for women than men...

1 Timothy 2:9 says, "And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes." In most cases, we take this to mean not to dress suggestively (low-riders, strapless tops, et cetera). But I'm wondering... has society numbed our veiw to that verse?

We are made in God's image, so in His eyes, we're already perfect. So how far do you go in "dressing up" until it's a sin? Make-up wise... you don't want to look inappropriate (for lack of a better word). Where do you draw the line? Mascara and blush? Or can you add liner? Or is make-up itself a sin? How low do your low-riders go? What about heels? Shorts? And going to the other extreme, what about plastic surgery?

Personally, I am curious. I don't even like to wear make-up, but I'd like to know for myself and my friends. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't think that makeup is sin. I think that a modest, sophisticated, attractive appearance is fine. In fact, I think that God would most definitely want us all (men and women) to always look our best. The line is the line of faith. When your conscience starts telling you that you are crossing the line between pretty and sexy...enough. Maybe its time to return that "shirt" now!!! Hope that helps from a man's point of view.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

I was at a communion service a while ago and that morning the church had decided to let the young people take around the bread and wine. So far no problem, however two of the teenage girls were wearing crop-tops and you could see all their tummy. I personally found that offensive and my brother was so incensed about it that he complained to the pastor who told him that he didn't see any harm in it.

It seemed to me at the time that this wasn't appropriate dress for church.

I agree that the young people should not be condemned for this although they should be corrected. The real problem here is the pastor. That he completely fails to understand a simple principle of modesty would cause me to qujestion what else he doesn't understand. Sounds like a "Liberal Theology" type.

This ties to another thread of conversation that I hear often. does being a Christian make a difference in how I live, look and act? People should be able to see something different - more should be required of us.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/30/1984

I believe, personally, that what we wear reflects what is in us. When I came to the knowledge of Christ, my dressing habits changed, and so did the way I looked at how people dressed. Before, I was a whoremonger and an alcoholic so I avoid both things... lol

But what is modesty for a woman? I don't agree that shorts and pants are for a woman... just based on context of races and tradtional practice really. Things I don't agree with in women:

Low cut shirts

Tight Pants

Short Skirts

Stomach Revealing shirts

Alot of make-up

Piercings

Transparent Clothes

Short Hair

Etc. etc.

But men shouldn't be excluded from dresscode either. Things I don't agree with in men...

Tight shirts (when muscular)

Tank Top shirts

Going shirtless in public

Tight pants

Short shorts

Piercings

Long Feminine hair

Now... there's many reasons for these things based on scripture, but I like to refer back to a story I have.

When I was getting older and my sisters were dressing more and more loosely, I got an idea. My friends and I went down to the Redlight district and saw some prostitutes. After being paid for helping us (by posing for pictures mind you), we took pictures from the neck down (to protect their identity), and then the pictures I had developed and we showed them to our sisters. What I saw, I described to my sister as "how prostitutes dress" and among these things were short skirts, short shirts, piercings everywhere... etc. etc. So needless to say, my sisters didn't want to be dressing like prostitutes and so they stopped lol.

Anyways.. ADD.. be back later.

Shalom.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

So I would lose on short hair and pierced earrings... hmmm. Wasn't sure where you stood on pants - all pants or just tight pants?

I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who knows me to say that I am immodest in clothing, speech or deportment. This is where we need to consider the whole package. Can it be settled on one thing - appearance- only?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Silly! Modesty is the byword. I have short hair and look great in it. I have some ear piercings...look good too! Waited until I was 47 to get them. I also wear pants because I feel better in them..they are not men's clothes--they are women's pants (for the record)!

Having little lists for yourself are fine, but please do not be presumptuous and share them with us as something that is to be followed. I am free in Christ.